Can you blow dry 4b hair on "cool" and get straightening results?

dlove

I read in a thread that this is less damaging if done with an ionic/ceramic blowdryer with a comb attachment. Now, before I go out and purchase the blowdryer with the comb attachment- tell me your experiences and/or if you think this will actually work. Keep in mind I am a 4b tightly coiled all natural.

I would like to start wearing my hair pressed and do it myself. Thanks in advance

SelfStyled

I blow dry on cool with my bonnet, not the dryer with the comb- those are no-no's for my hair. I put a doo rag on and sit under the dryer on cool for 30 min. My hair comes out pretty straight - not flat iron straight but, definitely straighter than it would have if I didn't use the cool air to help set the style.

dlove

I got this idea from this thre
Originally Posted by strawberry-jelly
I use a blowdryer with a comb attachment. I also let my hair airdry in a bun or a few big braids about 80% of the way to stretch it out some, so I'm not using so much heat. This is the blowdryer I have and I LUV it.

Meaganita wrote: I used to have one similar to this; but I broke the comb attachement.:look: So now I just blowdry without one. My next blowdrier is going to be an ionic one...That way I can blowdry my hair straight, but on the "cool" setting. Less damage, same results!;)ad:

This is from the I cannot blow dry my natural hair thread.

I am not trying to get bone straight hair, just straight enough so I dont have to work so hard at using my straightening comb and/or Solia flat iron.

Do you 4n naturals at least agree that I need to invest in a dryer with a comb attachment...:yep:?

Artemis

you need the heat to get it straight. You can do a cool blast at the end to add a little shine.

ITA. If you are just trying to straighten it for the sake of twisting it or braiding it, (like to speed up airdrying) then cool is fine. But if you want it to look like it was 'done', heat is needed. Using the blower for a longer amount of time, but lower heat isn't necessarily better in some cases too. Depends on the state of the hair prior to styling.

The issue with heat is that you don't want to overheat the molecules. The heat itself isn't the problem, it is how it is handled...

sydwrites

I'm not sure about the all cool settings part, but a blowdryer with a comb attachment has really worked well for me. I agree with whoever that said stretch it out, i'm a fan of banding until it mostly dry. This is the only way I could consider only using the cool setting as Ive only tried that for some stretched out twists. IMO, to do a good flatiron job on tight 4a hair, you need to blowdry as straight as possible so the flat iron just smooths it out. If you dont want a relaxer type look then I say go with the banding and the cool setting.

Nonie

I seem to recall someone asking if using Curlformers w/o heat were used then wrapping one's hair done, whether that would give a straight finish. Don't know if an answer was ever given. Does anyone know?

Trueladyaja

Just in case anyone comes across this I just blow dried my hair 4a-4b on cool from a wet state with a comb attachment. I will not blow dry with out a comb attachment I love them. I hold my hair at the ends and comb from root to the end. I still used a leave in and a heat protectant. After it was dry I put coconut oil and blew it threw on warm to help it penetrate. It was fluffy and felt great. If I just wanted to bun from there I could have easily. Afterwards I flat ironed and it turned out great. I will be doing this form now on!

poookie

I seem to recall someone asking if using Curlformers w/o heat were used then wrapping one's hair done, whether that would give a straight finish. Don't know if an answer was ever given. Does anyone know?

i'm 16 weeks post & i definitely couldn't get away with wrapping curlformed hair, let alone wrapping it straight. perhaps if someone was APL or longer, & they used the extra wide rollers, & had a texture looser than 3c. for me to get straight wrappable results, i have to use magnetic or mesh rollers, & pull them SUPER taut. & flat iron :lol:

locabouthair

^ Glad your hair came out well.

I have relaxed 4z hair. I blow dried my hair on cool because anything hotter than that makes my hair become very dry. Anyway, I did not use a comb attachment. I dont have one. And my hair did not come out very straight. Next time I will try the comb attachment and medium heat. I'm scared of using the comb attachment though.

RENIBELL

this is the only way i dry my 4a/b hair, see my avator pic , thats on low heat and cool with a comb attachment. makes it easier to manage and it dries moist as opposed to crunchy

John'sPrincess

this is the only way i dry my 4a/b hair, see my avator pic , thats on low heat and cool with a comb attachment. makes it easier to manage and it dries moist as opposed to crunchy

Do you get breakage from this method? cos air drying is not the best for me. I am afraid of blow drying cos my hair is fine so i feel like the heat is melting my strands plus i get lots of SSK.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Blowdrying my hair on the hottest setting with a comb attachment doesn't get my hair straight lol
Cool would be a waste of a blowdrying session