Can you color fine natural hair...

brebre928

Without damaging it? I want to color my hair but I think I have fine strands and I dont want to damage my hair. Are there any fine hair naturals who have succesfully colored their hair and have had no issues? If so what products did you use?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
color usually damages. I can't say if the damage will be immediately or down the line. From my experience, damage is inevitable with color unless you're using a temporary dye. Also, you won't be natural once you apply those chemicals to your hair.

KaramelKutie803

I have fine hair and a 4a hair texture with some patches of 4b. The very first time I went natural u colored my whole head without any problems and I just BCed again in April and colored a section in the front of my head with no problems. It's all about how you take care of your hair. I make sure to stay on top of moisturizing, DCing and make sure to do a light protein treatment at least once a month. I used the Dark and Lovely Fade Resistant Rich Conditioning Color each time. My hair is growing just fine.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140906_163053.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140906_163053.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 53

NaturallyATLPCH

color usually damages. I can't say if the damage will be immediately or down the line. From my experience, damage is inevitable with color unless you're using a temporary dye. Also, you won't be natural once you apply those chemicals to your hair.

Texture wise she will still be natural though and I think that's all she cares about.

I'm sure there are people who have colored with success OP. It's not color that damages your hair, it's technique and practice.

I wore blonde relaxed hair for years and never had any damage. I kept my hair conditioned, used minimal to no heat, and kept it moisturized.

I plan on coloring my natural hair too before this year is up. I have densely packed fine strands. :yep:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Texture wise she will still be natural though and I think that's all she cares about.

I'm sure there are people who have colored with success OP. It's not color that damages your hair, it's technique and practice.

I wore blonde relaxed hair for years and never had any damage. I kept my hair conditioned, used minimal to no heat, and kept it moisturized.

I plan on coloring my natural hair too before this year is up. I have densely packed fine strands. :yep:

Texture wise that's not always true. Color usually dries out your hair. That will be different for everyone across the board so only she will know if it changes her texture after she does it. Chemicals render you unnatural and I color my hair. I am semi-natural. I don't care about titles much. The truth is the truth though. Natural means, no permanent chemicals have ever been applied to the hair.

brebre928

I just have some gray hairs im trying to cover up :)
I want to go red but im not sure if I should use a box color or something else.
Just wanted to know if any fine hair ladies have had issues with coloring thats all. :)

almond eyes

Get a demi or semi permanent. And don't go too high up the color chart and you should be fine.

If you are very concerned go to a professional. Maybe Aveda but make sure that they only shampoo and condition. Do not let them put any moisture or protein treatments in your hair afterwards because I don't think their products are that geared towards curly coarser hair types.

Hair colour would only damage your fine strands if your hair was damaged before and if you don't keep up with your moisture treatments.

Your hair texture would only change a slight bit if you have porous hair but the change would not be majorly significant like a relaxer or texturiser.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Never had luck with color in 25 years of trying. It always gets damaged.

I now use henna and/or indigo to slide between jet black and deep copper. The results aren't instant tjough which can frustrate ppl.

Covers grey well too.

westNDNbeauty

Coloring breaks bonds in your hair as layers of color are lifted. In essence, the process damages your hair. The way you care for your hair while already damaged by the color either maintains the current level damage or progresses it to result in breakage, falling, etc.

I personally never recommend coloring unless you are comfortable with your hair's current length. With most people who have bleached/colored hair, you notice their length mostly remains the same. You'll notice their roots growing out yet ther hair is the same exact length. That's usually breakage.

rawsilk

If you know how to henna (PROPERLY!!) your hair with thank you -- but beware, henna is a wand and a sword -- if you don't know what you are doing, your hair will be jacked; on the other hand, once you master the technique/blend, it makes your hair smooth AND strong and greys will be a thing of the past.

Commercial Hair Dyes? I actually had better experiences with going lighter than darker. Clairol Texture and Tones blondes always did well in my hair and seemed to "texturize" it a bit. (A lot of debate on whether colors can "straighten;" in my experiences, going lighter did.)

Now, for the evil commercial darks (IMO) -- DESTROYED a patch of my hair (where the part is when I wore weaves -- yup, front and center). Tried Demi (Demi!!!!!) dark brown or black and I swear it messed up my root structure -- years later, that patch still grows in slower and more brittle than the rest of my hair.

Summary -- hennas and commercial lightening (if you do your homework, read relevant threads, etc.) are fine; dark commercial dyes (i.e., anything stronger than a semi permanent rinse) - stay away.

Oh and just remembered this -- if you do a semi (never demi, IMO) permanent dark rinse, apply when conditioner is already in your hair. A stylist told me this and it really makes a difference -- you notice that hair is softer/shinier and the color still takes for a few weeks depending on how often you wet your hair.

Last edited: