Naturals!! How straight can you get your hair without heat?

brownsugarbaby

I'm curious to know because I very much want to do without direct heat though I very much like the way my hair looks with straight hair. Perhaps air drying with a bantu knot or banding. I would be okay with using steam rollers occasionally if I didn't have to blow dry or flat iron prior in order to get the silky look I am aiming for.

So regardless if you use steam rollers or not, could you show your pics and tell me your techniques? Pretty please??

MissErikaM

I don't have pics, but for my bantu knot outs I detangle with a wide tooth comb and KCKT, and blow drying with a paddle brush and Shea Moisture Curl enhancing smoothie until the hair stays stretched, but is still damp so it will "take" the curl. I like Jane Carter foaming Wrap lotion, but really diluted setting lotion in a spray bottle works too, then knot it up.

I have to have some sort of heat or my knot outs/twist outs look a mess.

Last edited:

discodumpling

My Bantus do not give me str8 hair...I do get a nice curly fro though.

I can get varying degrees of str8ness in several ways:

Air dried in a single ponytail and then combed out with a wide tooth comb.

Roller set and saran wrapped...I guess that's minimal heat.

Roller set no saran wrap.

Obviously the roller sets get a better degree of str8ness:grin: I wet set with doctored Lotta body and use a combo of air drying and time under the dryer. I use magnetic rollers. If time permits for EXTRA smoothness I saran wrap and get back under the dryer for 15-20 mins...finger comb and i'm done!

Hope this helps!

Fhrizzball

I think rollerseting in small sections perhaps folllowed by a silk wrap will give you the straightest non direct heat straightness.

brownsugarbaby

sipp100 her hair is gorgeous though she used a blow dryer. Do you think it is possible to receive similar results without the direct heat?

I've rollerset once as a natural and it was a total fail and ended up using heat, which I dreaded. There has to be hope!!

I'm sure that many other naturals would love to enjoy their hair without the damage.

nakialovesshoes

My 1st time natural, my hair would get the straightest with Curlformer sets. Now of course that isn't actually the "straight" look but it was the closest to relaxed results without using any heat.

ChristmasCarol

@sipp100 her hair is gorgeous though she used a blow dryer. Do you think it is possible to receive similar results without the direct heat?

I've rollerset once as a natural and it was a total fail and ended up using heat, which I dreaded. There has to be hope!!

I'm sure that many other naturals would love to enjoy their hair without the damage.

brownsugarbaby

Are you sure your hair cannot withstand ANY form of direct heat?

Just asking, because people will assume heat is damaging without actually using it properly. My 3 daughters (all have long hair, even TBL) and I use heat whenever we want and have never experienced any problems. As a matter-of-fact, every long haired woman (BSL or longer) I've ever known IRL has pressed and curled her hair regulary. It's not until I found LHCF that I had ever even heard that direct heat is the debil.

To answer your question:

I don't know your hair type, but I know that 3abc can get really straight because the roots aren't that curly/kinky. I doubt most 4ab hair will be able to look really sleek without blowdrying or flatironing at least the roots.

brownsugarbaby

sipp100 I appreciate your concern. Yaaay!!! You're girls will thank you later for protecting their tresses. Go mommy!!

I know my hair can take direct heat as I've used it before when transitioning 4 years ago. Though while I had a sew in some years back, the section of hair that was out was severely damage as I had to straighten too often to maintain the sleek look. I'm now at a point where I do not use sew ins but I want to get to a point where I do not use heat.

I'm not big on hair typing but I typically fall into 3c/4a type. I never have a problem laying my hair down. My roots are fairly smooth if I brush them.

I do not think that heat is the devil though my hair does much better without it. I already have fine strands so to maintain thickness, protect my ends, maintain the integrity of my curls is why I do not want to use direct heat.