Can you have moisture/conditioning with no slip?

ShiShiPooPoo

I have seen a lot of threads/posts that put a lot of emphasis on "slip" (mine too). I am starting to wonder why we put so much importance on slip...so if a moisturizing conditioner has no "slip", does that mean that your hair is not conditioned properly?

For instance, I am contemplating on getting the Elasta DPR stuff but I read posts that say that it has no slip...but does that mean your hair was not moisturized?

Having slip means you are able to detangle your hair easy since alot of people like to detangle in the shower.

If you have no slip its usually very hard to detangle your hair or it could mean that you have build up on your hair and the conditioner is not doing what it needs to (give slip).

I don't think slip has anything to do with how moisturized the product will make your hair - it's jsut about how easy it makes your hair to detangle.....

I have seen a lot of threads/posts that put a lot of emphasis on "slip" (mine too). I am starting to wonder why we put so much importance on slip...so if a moisturizing conditioner has no "slip", does that mean that your hair is not conditioned properly?

For instance, I am contemplating on getting the Elasta DPR stuff but I read posts that say that it has no slip...but does that mean your hair was not moisturized?

I don't think so. Some of my favorite cons (Aveda DR, and Smooth Infusion) provide me with little "slip", but they leave my hair moisturized, silky, and strong. While others, (Silicon Mix, 10 en 1) can make a comb glide through my 12 weeks post hair like nobody's business, but don't do much otherwise.

I don't think slip has anything to do with how moisturized the product will make your hair - it's jsut about how easy it makes your hair to detangle.....

Agreed.

For the record, I HAAAAAATED DPR. Ugh. No slip, no moisture, nothing. I couldn't even mix it with stuff to use it up...I just threw it away. I was so disgusted with the tangled, matted mess I had on my hands after I used it. :wallbash:

However, I think Nexxus Humectress is a moisturizing conditioner that doesn't necessarily have the most slip in the world. NTM DDC is not quite as moisturizing, IMO, but the slip is definitely there. I think the NTM is a good balance of slip and moisture.

Agreed.

For the record, I HAAAAAATED DPR. Ugh. No slip, no moisture, nothing. I couldn't even mix it with stuff to use it up...I just threw it away. I was so disgusted with the tangled, matted mess I had on my hands after I used it. :wallbash:

However, I think Nexxus Humectress is a moisturizing conditioner that doesn't necessarily have the most slip in the world. NTM DDC is not quite as moisturizing, IMO, but the slip is definitely there. I think the NTM is a good balance of slip and moisture.

Didn't like DPR Much either.
Throwing away....that's what I need to do with this ORS Carrot Oil! I feel like I MUST finish it but at what cost? Dry and brittle hair all day long! Thank goodness it's in a protective 12 twists in a bun so I don't bother with it at all. Don't even like the feel of it.

ITA with your post.
I have said this before, just because a products gives you slip doesn't mean it's moisturizing your hair. One product that comes to mind is HE Long Term Relationship. Yes, it had slip and detangled my hair but once my hair dried it was dry as a bone & stiff as straw.

Aveda Brilliant Conditioner was the exact opposite, it offered little slip but it left my hair really moisturized and soft.

A conditioner can be very moisturizing and give great slip and dosen't have to have cones for me ~Kenra MC

A conditioner can be moisturizing with no slip for me ~Aurbey Organics honey suckle rose

A conditioner can give slip but not all that mosturizing for me ~HE LTR ...I use it as a after deep conditioner detangler when i have alot of new growth

Last edited:

I agree. I also have things that give me slip and do nothing to give me real moisture.

A conditioner can be very moisturizing and give great slip and dosen't have to have cones for me ~Kenra MC

A conditioner can be moisturizing with no slip for me ~Aurbey Organics honey suckle rose

A conditioner can give slip but not all that mosturizing for me ~HE LTR ...I use it as a after deep conditioner detangler when i have alot of new growth

ITA with your whole post, examples included.

ITA! You explained it much better than I did :look:

Your examples are on point too :yep:

ITA with your post.
I have said this before, just because a products gives you slip doesn't mean it's moisturizing your hair. One product that comes to mind is HE Long Term Relationship. Yes, it had slip and detangled my hair but once my hair dried it was dry as a bone & stiff as straw.

Aveda Brilliant Conditioner was the exact opposite, it offered little slip but it left my hair really moisturized and soft.

I found the same problem with the beloved Silicon Mix. My hair had alot of slip in the shower but once my hair was no longer soaking wet it would catch on itself and my hair felt rough, hard and not moisturized at all. For all the hype I never bought it again.:nono:

Back