Can you help me please???

AuNaturalMaMa

Hi.

So, just this week I was styling my hair and I noticed so many splits on my ends in my nape area and it’s so brittle!:nono: Initially I was upset! I thought I had been doing a good job of oiling my ends with castor oil a minimum of 3x’s a week and trying low manipulative styles. Then I realized that I haven’t had a dusting/trim/cut since December. I’ve been seeing some comments from ladies where they say they only trim 2-3 times a year. So, since my last trim was in December and this is a new year I’d like to shoot for the goal of trimming less often. I feel that when I go to the stylist they do cut off tooooooooo much! So here are my options which one do you think would be best? Or if you have a better one please state in your comment.

• Just search and destroy the splits in the back and wait for a trim and dusting since the back is the only area splitting.

• Go ahead with a self trim. (I’ve been really researching this! Feye’s method and all!)

• Go to the stylist and let her trim me one more time and do a self trim from now on.

I’d appreciate any advice. I plan to make a decision by Sunday. I want these splits to GO not GROW. :yep:

I do have another question. If I do the self trim would it be harmful to straighten and then trim since my ends are so bad?

T.I.A.

Hi,

I say do the search and destroy on the back....or what i do when i trim is start at the nape with small parts and cut the damaged area and i use that first cut as my guide as to where i will cut the rest. I use a large hand mirror to help me see.

I hope this makes sense :)

Eta, i am texlaxed and trim on freshly washed, blowdried and flatironed hair. I go over the first small section with the flatiron(2-3 passes, ends 1or2) i then trim/cut the damage.

Last edited:
IMFOCSD that makes perfect sense to me. This will be my first time putting any pair of scissors in my hair on my own so I'm NERVOUS!!! I do not want a major setback. I've been trying to convince my hubby to stand by if I decide to do the self-trim. I think I can manage the S & D on my own with a mirror. Thanks for the idea!

IMFOCSD that makes perfect sense to me. This will be my first time putting any pair of scissors in my hair on my own so I'm NERVOUS!!! I do not want a major setback. I've been trying to convince my hubby to stand by if I decide to do the self-trim. I think I can manage the S & D on my own with a mirror. Thanks for the idea!

You are very welcome,

I remember the first time i trimmed/cut my own hair i cringed lol but it was pretty okay and it gets easier.

After I'm done flatironing i use my index and middle finger as guide to where i will cut, ,i start from the roots with peice of hair between my fingers and slide my fingers all the way down to the damage...and i make sure to part as straight / even as i can.

You will do great.

Last edited:
search and destroy! If the rest of your hair is fine and your on a mission to retain as much growth as possible then I think this would be your best option.

Back