Can you repair fried/damaged hair?

Bublin

I'm really pissed.

After 19 months of being natural i had my hair flat ironed for the 1st time to go to a wedding i had been invited to.

By the time i got home from the salon the right side of my hair - by my ear and below was frizzy.

I put on some leave-in and sealed with coconut oil and it didn't make a difference.

4 days later i now think my hair is permanently damaged on that side as the rest of my hair is shiney and smooth and this section looks obviously different. I've checked and there are no split ends - it just looks fried.

Did she frazzle my hair to the point of no return or could my hair have been damaged prior to flat ironing?

What can i do to nurse my hair back to health?

Please don't say i have to cut it all off.

hothair

Bublin your pic in avatar looks great, do some protein treatments and up the co-wash I use lustrasilk shea butter, I think your hair will be ok:yep:

Bublin

Hothair, thank you my darling....and thanks for the compliment - its been a confusing journey for me thus far....i just don't what my hair wants or needs.:ohwell:

You heard my plea for help and my worries have now been eased with your advice.

Still bumping for anyone with similar experiences or is this common with flat irons?

I don't think i'll go near one for a long time.

All she used was a sheen spray - not even a leave-in moisturiser :perplexed. After all the knowledge i have gained from LHFC i still watched her not protect my hair and then fry it. I'm a fool and it won't happen again.

Artemis

I wonder what type of flat iron she used?? And w/o any real heat protectant. I am certain there is some level of damage that occurred :ohwell:.

I think you really won't know to what extent until you wash your hair and go back curly. I think a reconstructor followed by a moisturizing dc is in order regardless. But you can do some "repair" appearance-wise w/the protein. Maybe even aphogee that one section periodically until it becomes more manageable. It's tedious, but repair can happen.

Good luck, and sorry that happened to you...

glamazon386

It depends on how bad it is. The flat iron was probably too hot. Keep DCing. It might help. It probably won't happen overnight but the dcing should help. Since it's only that one patch even if it is damaged to the point of no return, I wouldn't cut it.

glamazon386

She used a tong that was heated by an oven - not an electric flat iron.

That's probably why. You can't control the temperature on those and the longer you use it, the hotter it gets. That's why a lot of people stay away from those marcel irons. If you are seeing or smelling smoke or that burnt hair smell it's definitely too hot and your hair is being burned.

localhost

That's probably why. You can't control the temperature on those and the longer you use it, the hotter it gets. That's why a lot of people stay away from those marcel irons. If you are seeing or smelling smoke or that burnt hair smell it's definitely too hot and your hair is being burned.

Yep, what she said.

I would try moisture moisture moisture, and using a reconstructing conditioner. Don't cut it just yet. Continue to work with it over the next few months and hopefully you'll see some improvement.

Lioness

Bublin, my advice is this:

Stay away from ANY heat for some time- in order to let your hair recuperate.

I don't think that hair can be damaged irreversably (sp?) from heat being used only once.

If the heat damage is VERY bad, try to do protein treatments once a week for a month or so, (remeber the moisture balance though) and make sure your food intake has a lot of protein.

You can do at home treatments like avocado, egg and honey deep conditioner, or mayonaise and cholesterol deep conditioner.

The main thing is to baby the hair that you beleive has been really damaged. Hair grows, and yours will recover

x

I also have a similar problem. I usually flat iron my hair straight but some stupid reason I let one of my aunts hot comb and flat iron my hair at once!

I have this little section in the back left side of my hair that is just complete FRIZZ. you wet it, it goes straight not curly. you set it with rollers it wont even hold a curl. I hope there's still hope for that section. I just tuck it in somewhere when i wear my fro.

ravenmerlita

Your hair might be ok but I would take extra care and deep condition, protein treat and stay away from heat.

For me, when I don't properly blow dry/flat iron or wet set my hair, the part that wasn't done right will get frizzy, crinkly and crunchy. I can put stuff on it but it's not until I wash/condition and style it again that I can tell it isn't frizzy from damage but from bad styling.

Bublin

I really appreciate the advice.

Now, would you suggest i wash asap and get the protein treatments under way now or just enjoy my straight hair for now, add moisturisers and then just wash in a weeks time (when i had planned to).

InnerSoul

Now, would you suggest i wash asap and get the protein treatments under way now or just enjoy my straight hair for now, add moisturisers and then just wash in a weeks time (when i had planned to).

just enjoy your hair in that style(straight) for now(keep adding in moisturizers)...the damage has already been done...but when you do wash it... then dc, just go back to your regular routine when your hair curls back up. This is just my advice though. But BMoreFlyygirl hit it on the nail when she said you aren't supposed to use those marcel irons under any circumstances...they are tooooo hot for anybody's hair, and the fact the stylist didn't use a heat protectant was very unwise on her part:ohwell:.

Like everyone else said just keep babying it and hopefully it will recuperate.:yep: hth!

Last edited:

cocoberry10

:yep::yep:I don’t think you will know to the extent until you go back to curly. I believe if it was burned beyond repair though, the hair would have fallen out.

ClassicBeauty

Are you sure that the particulart section didn't get wet or something. If you haven't washed it yet, you can't be sure that it's damaged. For me, if any section of my hair gets wet, it dries out really frizzy. You said you added leave-in to the dry hair. That will make my hair frizz too (assuming it's a water based leave-in). My natural hair will frizz if it gets any water period after it's flat-ironed.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

mzhotniz86

unfortunately heat damage is a done deal. but your hair may not be necessarily damaged. is it possible that your hair is dry and maybe it reverted? whatever the case is , just do your dc and check the difference when that portion goes back to its natural state. thats really the only way you can really tell. and dont cut it :/ as long as there are no splits and its not breaking , you should be fine.

LABETT

I suggest doing the regimen for Instructions for damaged hair.
This regimen saved my hair and is much healthier than ever now.
Do a search and it should come up and it lists the best products to use to repair damaged hair.

ShiShiPooPoo

I had a fried looking section of hair once and used Aveda Deep Penetrating Revitalizer...poof! Smooth and repaired after just one use.

Bublin

Are you sure that the particulart section didn't get wet or something. If you haven't washed it yet, you can't be sure that it's damaged. For me, if any section of my hair gets wet, it dries out really frizzy. You said you added leave-in to the dry hair. That will make my hair frizz too (assuming it's a water based leave-in). My natural hair will frizz if it gets any water period after it's flat-ironed.
Just a thought.

Well i live 5 minutes walk from this salon so i don't see how it got wet just in the area behind my ear and down the length. It wasn't raining.
The only thing i would say is that side took a battering from the wind and when i got home it looked different from the rest of my hair.

I used ORS Olive Oil Leave-in Conditioner but the rest of my hair hasn't been affected by it.

I will wash at the end of this week and i'll see.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

ClassicBeauty

Well i live 5 minutes walk from this salon so i don't see how it got wet just in the area behind my ear and down the length. It wasn't raining.
Th eonly hting i would say is that side took a battering from the wind and when i got home it looked different from the rest of my hair.

I used ORS Olive Oil Leave-in Conditioner but the rest of my hair hasn't been effected by it.

I will wash at the end of this week and i'll see.

Thanks everyone.

How's the humidity there? Wind and humidity could possibly cause reversion too.

Let us know how it works out.

LayneJ

Bublin,

IMHO, it sounds like your hair is simply trying to revert/frizz up. I know I've flat ironed twice since my BC, and both times, I was extremely nervous when reversion set in. I saw curl, but it was very limp looking, not springy like it usually is. Not only that, but when I finally wet my hair, my ends look straight. It wasn't much, but I ended up cutting the "damage" off myself.

This second time, Aug. sometime, the same thing happened, and instead of cutting, I simply went on about my usual routine. This past Sunday, I noticed my hair was back to normal.

So you may want to wait a few days, or until you wash out your style. Then you'll know for sure what's what. :yep: