Can your hair be damaged by the sun?

NapfroConsulate

The reason I ask is becasue I was using Eco-Style yesterday (the green one with Olive Oil), and it said it had UV protection. Then I started to think of my yt girlfriends and various ones that have said their blonde hair gets blonder in the summer with the sun, etc. Is it more good for my hair than bad? Just wondering....

jetbeauty09

Yes it can!!! Google it, I’m sure it’ll come up with all sorts of info on it. I ran across some info some time ago about it and I’m going to try to find products that have UV protection on it. Perhaps a spray or mist that I can use, especially in the summer time. If the sun can damage your skin, over-exposure can surely damage your hair.

baddison

natural for good
Yeah, I agree.

If SKIN can be damaged by sun, then so can HAIR.:yep:

Come to think of it.....leave ANYTHING out in the sun for too long, and you'll be sorry...:yep:

Aviah

YES! I remember after a hot day in the sun with my hair out I went to wash my hair and as the water hit my hair I smelled....
The burned hair smell.:blush:
(The smell you get after you flat iron your hair on high heat)
I hadn't used heat all that summer and that day I thought oh boy, this sun is not a joke...:perplexed

I plan to incorporate aloe into my summer regimen.

BlackMasterPiece

Melanin is the pigment that is responsible for our brown skin and dark hair so if it protects my skin from sun damage (which it definitely does, I've never had a sun burn....ever) then I would assume that it does the same for my hair.

I would think that the people that would have to be most concerned about this would be people with lighter colored hair. I've spent entire days in direct sunlight on the beach and had no sunburn and no adverse effects on my hair.

CleverGypsy

A lot of direct summer sun turns my hair coppery red and dry. I braid or twist my hair and use shea butter and conditioner whenever I go to the beach or know I will be outside in direct sun for a long time (2 hours+). I usually wear a hat also.

JuiceMobsta

Yeah I agree, my natural hair is brown with blonde highlights and if I'm ever in the sun alot it gets lighter with actual blonde streaks :ohwell:

Melanin is the pigment that is responsible for our brown skin and dark hair so if it protects my skin from sun damage (which it definitely does, I've never had a sun burn....ever) then I would assume that it does the same for my hair.

I would think that the people that would have to be most concerned about this would be people with lighter colored hair. I've spent entire days in direct sunlight on the beach and had no sunburn and no adverse effects on my hair.

BlackMasterPiece

Yeah I agree, my natural hair is brown with blonde highlights and if I'm ever in the sun alot it gets lighter with actual blonde streaks :ohwell:
That actually sounds really cool! You get to have different hues of hair with different seasons naturally....how fun!:grin:

I'd love to see a pic of your hair if you have one....that sounds like a pretty color combo.