Can your hair become resistant to relaxer?

kittie43

I have been using affirm relaxer in regular strength for years now and it seems as of late that my hair has been taking a very long time to process especially in the crown area. I did my relaxer today and it took about an hour:nono:. I know that some of my hair is probably overprocessed because of this. The last time I went to the hair dresser she used a hair dryer to speed up the relaxer processing. By the way, I relaxed at about 11 weeks in both cases.

So should I switch relaxers?
What should I do about my overprocessed strands?

*Muffin*

I think so. My friend (who is my hair-growth buddy and does very healthy things for her hair) recently went natural because her hair was starting not to take relaxers very well. Her hair still looked nice, but no matter how long she left a relaxer on for it would still end up looking texlaxed, so she decided she would rather be natural. As for your overprocessed strands, I have left relaxers on for longer than I should and yes my hair will feel dry and off balance for a period of time, but I usually just do protein/moisture DC's twice a week until my hair feels balanced again.

lila_baby

Good question! This case was the same for me- I was using Beautiful beginnings for years and then one day it just didn't work like before so I switched. I know that with time as hair ages it changes colour (turns grey), thins and gets drier in some cases but in terms of genes your hair should be the same as it is always. Are you taking supplements now? this could be the reason that your hair is taking longer to process in that it's stronger. OR maybe you got a bad batch of relaxer. Is this the first time this has happened with Affirm? In any case when relaxing less is always more IMO- UNDERprocessing for me is better than OVERprocessing.
Regarding your strands- I would use a good reconstructor or protein treatment.

Good luck

Tarae

She used a hair dryer while the relaxer was on your hair?
I never heard of such a thing.

locabouthair

yes my hair is very resistant.

I had a relaxer and transitioned in 02, and wore it natural until 06, I notice that my hair does not get as straight as it did, the first time I relaxed. I'm not sure why.

I use a super relaxer. my hair is very coarse. I got a touch up today and I see some parts arent very straight. I'm not gonna fight it anymore. I'm just gonna accept it.

kim

I believe it can. I had this same problem, not matter what strength or brand my hair would only curl up not get straight. I finally decided to stop fighting it so I went natural. My hair is a 3b/3c.

I may be in the minority here, but I don't see how it can. Since our hair is dead--how can it build up a tolerance? I belive it's possible for our scalp to build a tolerance for some things, but then again--we aren't trying to relax our scalps. Maybe they changed the formulations on the relaxer and your hair didn't like it, maybe the relaxer was out of date, maybe the relaxer had been left open too long, or not mixed correctly by you or the company that made it (so many possibilities)?
I've had a relaxer "not take" before and my hair is medium/fine; so this is unheard of for me; I tried the same relaxer again 5 months later, and it took just fine.
Sometimes things may "spoil" even if the date doesn't say it is expired--like some milk I bought from Walmart awhile back:ohwell:. I will say that our body and hair can change. I've notice that my texture has loosened--and I have not done anything that I hadn't been doing previously. I've had to leave my relaxer on for less time these days (I only average about 2-3 relaxers per year). So maybe your hair is coming in less/more fine and now that particular relaxer just won't do. But hey--I'm no chemist either; it's just theory:wink2:

Halimah

It definitly can I use to use Motions when I was a teenager and the next day when I went to the shop she would ask me when did I last get a perm? and I would say I just perm it, thats when I realize after awhie my hair had came resistant to motions and it wasnt working for me anymore.

jahzyira

Yes it can!!! I started off using pink no-lye which effed my hair up! My first relaxer in 7 years came out horrible... bone straight at the scalp and not processed at all on the ends! since then ive done 4 corrective relaxers which barely took at all and the last time i switched ors no-lye(which ill stick to but use super next time)... Now i have 6 inches of "underlaxed" hair at the scalp, 3-4 inches of bone straight mid shaft, and the rest is frizzy/curly! The only thing that has helped me from experiencing demarcation breakage is my deep conditioning rituals.... Im done with correcting tho ill jus claim texlaxed.....

jamaraa

Yes this can happen...you new growth can certainly become resistant to relaxers because your body chemistry can change and/or the chemistry of the product you're using. Body chemistry plays a bit role in how YOUR body will handle any product.

As for other relaxers you can use, no idea.