Carol's Daughter - What Do You All Think Of This Commercial?

Crystalicequeen123

So I just saw this commercial on tv for Carols Daughter..... This is actually the first commercial I've ever seen for Carols Daughter.

Tell me what you all think of this commercial..... :look:

At first, the commercial seemed okay, but then it just seemed as though they were trying to cater to "everybody". :perplexed:

I guess I wouldn't feel too bad if typical shampoo commercials try to cater to blacks, but 9 times out of 10 they DON'T! We're no where in shampoo hair commercials! Never have been.... You don't ever see us washing our hair in the shower in shampoo commercials. :look:

I hope Carols Daughter isn't going the same route as the Shea Moisture hair care line. :nono:

I don't even know why they need to cater to "everyone", when he usually make up the biggest consumers of hair products anyway.

Idk....maybe I'm just sensitive because of what has recently happened with Shea Moisture. What do you all think?

I'm just glad that Carols Daughter hair products have never done anything beneficial for my hair, so it won't be too hard to stay away from them. :look:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
I see no whites in this commercial. The part where Lisa stirred the honey with the honey dipper was stupid. The music was a bit loud. I am not moved to care about either the message or products. What was I supposed to see?

Crystalicequeen123

I see no whites in this commercial. The part where Lisa stirred the honey with the honey dipper was stupid. The music was a bit loud. I am not moved to care about either the message or products. What was I supposed to see?

You didn't see the Hispanic/white woman with straight hair in the commercial? ALSo, listen to what it says at the end about being for ALL women.

They wouldn't need to do/say that unless they're trying to (again) cater to women of ALL races.

My point is, most hair and shampoo commercials don't try to cater to black women, so why are natural black hair companies trying so hard to cater to non-black women? Most hair products geared for black women just aren't conducive for those with naturally straight hair.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
You didn't see the Hispanic/white woman with straight hair in the commercial? ALSo, listen to what it says at the end about being for ALL women.

They wouldn't need to do/say that unless they're trying to (again) cater to women of ALL races.

My point is, most hair and shampoo commercials don't try to cater to black women, so why are natural black hair companies trying so hard to cater to non-black women? Most hair products geared for black women just aren't conducive for those with naturally straight hair.
I don't consider Hispanics white unless they are straight European and her hair looks flat ironed to me.

Why appeal to whites and non-black folks? More money! Why stick with just 6% of the market when there is another potential 40% to get money from? Both Lisa and Loreal learned not to alienate the core consumer while embracing others in their ads. The only thing I ding them on is changing formulations. I hope Shea Moisture figures this out quick.

Let go of the myth whites cannot use our products. I have been on multiple hair forums off-and-on for over 10 years and the ones with curls have no qualms about trying so-called ethnic products. I have seen them give Shea Moisture high praise over the years. Whites believe "hair is hair" overall; we don't due to our ongoing history. The "hair hate" ad was stupid because its focus is far from the mindset and experience of Shea Moisture's core consumer base.

Yes, it is nice to have things catered specifically for us and now we have literally dozens to choose from now. Back in the day, all I knew about was Bronner Brothers, Luster and Dudley Q. I favor extracting as much dinero from the others as much as possible, since they already do from us. Cantu, anyone?

Last edited:

beingofserenity

I don't consider Hispanics white unless they are straight European and her hair looks flat ironed to me.

Why appeal to whites and non-black folks? More money! Why stick with just 6% of the market when there is another potential 40% to get money from? Both Lisa and Loreal learned not to alienate the core consumer while embracing others in their ads. The only thing I ding them on is changing formulations. I hope Shea Moisture figures this out quick.

Let go of the myth whites cannot use our products. I have been on multiple hair forums off-and-on for over 10 years and the ones with curls have no qualms about trying so-called ethnic products. I have seen them give Shea Moisture high praise over the years. Whites believe "hair is hair" overall; we don't due to our ongoing history. The "hair hate" ad was stupid because its focus is far from the mindset and experience of Shea Moisture's core consumer base.

Yes, it is nice to have things catered specifically for us and now we have literally dozens to choose from now. Back in the day, all I knew about was Bronner Brothers, Luster and Dudley Q. I favor extracting as much dinero from the others as much as possible, since they already do from us. Cantu, anyone?

Thanks. This is how I feel.

krissyhair

I think the commercial. Even the straight haired lady was tending to a curly haired kid.

I don't buy hair products very often but I like Carol's Daughter when I try it.

NaturalShe94

I don't see whats wrong with the commercial.... Seems like they are reaching out to all hair types, but their main target is BLACK women. I love it. They showed kinky, coily, curly and one wavy, but more focused on kinks and coils aka black and beautiful.
SM on the other hand had all these white women with straight hair and then one black girl with curly hair. This is nothing like that.

Crystalicequeen123

As I am is another company trying to extract money from black women. It is run by an Indian/Middle Eastern guy. Why can't black people do the same?
I don't see whats wrong with the commercial.... Seems like they are reaching out to all hair types, but their main target is BLACK women. I love it. They showed kinky, coily, curly and one wavy, but more focused on kinks and coils aka black and beautiful.
SM on the other hand had all these white women with straight hair and then one black girl with curly hair. This is nothing like that.

Alright.... I see the pints you all are making. :yep: I'm all for black-owned companies getting more coins (I'm all for that!) , and I have NO qualms if white ppl wanna use "our products" (some have kinky hair like ours lol), but I guess my biggest complaint is that the commercials for these product lines JUST started making headway, and already they are not catering JUST to bw. Whereas, shampoo commercials cater ONLY to white women 90% of the time, and it's seen as normal (as though other races don't wash and shampoo as well? :rolleyes: ).

I almost feel as though the stipulation for having these commercials air was that they HAD to cater to ALL groups, when most hair commercials period do NOT cater (or even usually TRY to cater) to black women/hair.

Nobody sees this double standard?

I'm not offended per se by the commercial....I'm just picking up on the double standard. :ohwell:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I understand your point @Crystalicequeen123

It's just like most Sitcom's. It's okay to have ALL white sitcoms, movies and other shows, but the Black sitcoms, movies, shows always have to have a white friend, neighbor, coworker etc...as part of the cast.

It is never always about "us"

ETA: I notice when CD is on HSN, she always has a lot of white hair models (and other ethnicities) and the white hosts are always raving about using her products on their hair.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I didn't click play, because I don't use her/ their products.

So, to be fair- I have no feelings to give.

cutiepiebabygirl

So I just saw this commercial on tv for Carols Daughter..... This is actually the first commercial I've ever seen for Carols Daughter.

Tell me what you all think of this commercial..... :look:

At first, the commercial seemed okay, but then it just seemed as though they were trying to cater to "everybody". :perplexed:

I guess I wouldn't feel too bad if typical shampoo commercials try to cater to blacks, but 9 times out of 10 they DON'T! We're no where in shampoo hair commercials! Never have been.... You don't ever see us washing our hair in the shower in shampoo commercials. :look:

I hope Carols Daughter isn't going the same route as the Shea Moisture hair care line. :nono:

I don't even know why they need to cater to "everyone", when he usually make up the biggest consumers of hair products anyway.

Idk....maybe I'm just sensitive because of what has recently happened with Shea Moisture. What do you all think?

I'm just glad that Carols Daughter hair products have never done anything beneficial for my hair, so it won't be too hard to stay away from them. :look:

L'oreal bought CD quite some time ago. I think the ship has sailed.

Theresamonet

I don't understand why some of you get so offended by brands trying to cater to everyone? They're running a business! I'd want everyone's dollar too. I see nothing wrong with this commercial. Y'all see anybody lighter than a paper bag and hair texture looser than 4a in a natural hair video, and y'all go off.

Crystalicequeen123

I understand your point @Crystalicequeen123

It's just like most Sitcom's. It's okay to have ALL white sitcoms, movies and other shows, but the Black sitcoms, movies, shows always have to have a white friend, neighbor, coworker etc...as part of the cast.

It is never always about "us"

ETA: I notice when CD is on HSN, she always has a lot of white hair models (and other ethnicities) and the white hosts are always raving about using her products on their hair.

YES!!! This is exactly what I'm talking about!! :yep:

I don't mind black companies catering to all (don't get me wrong), but when a product has come out mainly targeting one group with specific hair needs, why do the commercials always seem to have to be PC when it comes to products made for black hair? When the reverse doesn't usually happen? I could see if this were a skin cream or something, but this is a hair care line specializing in afro/kinky natural hair, that got big, thanks (primarily) to the patronage of bw, and now that they are more "famous", they are now worried about catering to all..... Shea Moisture did the same thing imo....

Maybe it is my erroneous asumption, and perhaps CD was never intended to be marketed to bw.

I don't see anything wrong with the commercial but the products are garbage for me. I've tried the mimosa pomade and it was basically melty beeswax.
Same here. I've tried various CD products, even the ones most ppl love and swear by, and every time I always think it's going to be different,but it's not. Their products leave my hair feeling and looking dry and dull. Definitely a no bueno.... :nono:

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
Some don't get it. It's not the problem off getting that cross over coin but remember who got you there. CD showed women with different hair textures. SM???? Not sure why straight haired white women would use it but ok. Maybe they are curly hair types that flat ironed. I don't care really. Bottom line is do not mess with the original recipe that people loved. Why is that so friggin hard to understand. Leave it original for us and create a line for them other folks.

Rastafarai

I don't understand why some of you get so offended by brands trying to cater to everyone? They're running a business! I'd want everyone's dollar too. I see nothing wrong with this commercial. Y'all see anybody lighter than a paper bag and hair texture looser than 4a in a natural hair video, and y'all go off.

No one is saying don't cater to non-blacks but like SM, CD is attempting to erase us from the image in an attempt to expand. I saw OP's commercial many times, but I am only now realizing the majority of the models are of lighter, straight-haired or mixed persuasion.

CD used to cater to 4a/4b/4c heads of hair. Not anymore. Now that her hair products no longer work for our hair type, she has no choice but to jump to the other side of the fence. She had to declare bankruptcy because our dollars were no longer there.

She is not expanding, but refocusing her main core base, and it's no longer black women.

RIP Carol's Daughter.

Last edited:

Crystalicequeen123

I'm an OG with her products. Used to go to her home in BK to buy. She sold out. Haven't bought CD in years. In CVS the other day I looked at the ingredients of a bottle and returned it to the shelf.
Oh wow....You have known her for quite some time! I'm not sure where BK is, but sounds like her products must have been really good back then if you were going to her home to buy them.

I wonder if she changed her ingredients?? :scratchchin: Because her products have never done anything good for my hair....neither has Miss Jessie's. :nono:

Some don't get it. It's not the problem off getting that cross over coin but remember who got you there. CD showed women with different hair textures. SM???? Not sure why straight haired white women would use it but ok. Maybe they are curly hair types that flat ironed. I don't care really. Bottom line is do not mess with the original recipe that people loved. Why is that so friggin hard to understand. Leave it original for us and create a line for them other folks.

^^THIS!!!! :yep:

No one is saying don't cater to non-blacks but like SM, CD is attempting to erase us from the image in an attempt to expand. I saw OP's commercial many times, but I am only now realizing the majority of the models are of lighter, straight-haired or mixed persuasion.

CD used to cater to 4a/4b/4c heads of hair. Not anymore. Now that her hair products no longer work for our hair type, she has no choice but to jump to the other suse of the fence. She had to declare bankruptcy because our dollars were no longer there.

She is not expanding, but refocusing her main core base, and it's no longer black women.

RIP Carol's Daughter.

Very interesting! I'm wondering if she changed her ingredients or something? All I know, is that her products have NEVER worked for me, but I'm wondering if maybe I came on board "later on" when the formula may have changed??

I started dabbling in Carol's Daughter back in 2011, but even back then her products never did anything good for my hair. :nono: I tried them again more recently (earlier this year in fact), and I had to return the products back to Sally's because after one use I knew that this product would NOT do well for my hair.
Maybe her ingredients don't work as well on afro/kinky hair, so now she's trying to "reach across the aisles" to cater to "others" as well. :look: Who knows, maybe her products will work better for others, because her products left my hair feeling dry, hard, and looking dull.... :nono: