Carol's Daughter Product Review & Tell me why so much hate on their products?

I've never used their product. From an outsider looking in, I find it hard to trust their claims since so many of their spoke persons only wear weave (Mary J Blige, Jada Pinkett Smith). The only reason I would ever give their product a chance is because of good reviews from LHCF.

Keen, my understanding is that Jada Pinkett Smith's hair is not a weave. She has actually attributed the current length and healthy state of her hair, which she discussed in a cover feature story in the July 2010 issue of Essence mag and is about mid back length all over, to CD's Lisa's Hair Elixir and the Hair Balm products.

Well, I guess I'll be the odd-ball in this thread and say that I've been a faithful user of CD products. My hair has responded well to the Healthy Hair Butter and I use it regularly for my styles (ex. 2-strand twists, flat twists, cornrows, bantu knots, etc.). I also use the Almond Cookie Body Souffle' and the Ecstasy Body Souffle'. I have noticed though, that since the company is so much more mainstream now (and that's great for her company!), the ingredients have changed for the worse (and for the worse I mean added chemicals vs. all natural). Well with that being said, I've been on the look out for a natural butter to style my hair with; I'm sure that I'll find something on LHCF to try. :grin:

I've never used her products but I've seen them advertised on HSN. No one I know uses her products. They just don't seem appealing to me.(JMO) Maybe it's the marketing of the products. I want to get excited about a purchase not ho hum..

I think the hate comes from the demographic you are looking at. This is a hair care board. Many of the popular start-up natural hair care lines have roots in this forum. What hte average consumer may consider great, LHCF considers sub par. Our memebr's analyze everything and notice the slightest changes to their hair based on a product. I believe that Carol's Daughter is probably a great product for a person who has basic hair care knowledge and is not as in tune with their hair as women on this board. I have never purchased her products and I probably never will based on reivews.

I know her products are a pretty penny but I want to hear why so many of you have not had success with the products you tried.

Thanks in advance!

I've only tried one product (Hair Milk) and it left my hair dry, greasy, crispy, waxy, and smelling like Fruit Loops; all at the same time:nono:. After that I said, hellz no, took Carol's Daughter off of my to do list, and never looked back.

I don't think its about hatin'...Just because you don't like the way the products work on your hair and you tell your opinion doesn't mean your hatin'...(or does it it? You can tell I've never been hip. lol!) Personally I will take Tressemme products over many expensive lines...any day.

Some of her products are too greasy for my liking. The rest either did nothing for my hair and made it dry or I hated the smell. I can get better products from the drugstore for less money.

Well, I guess I'll be the odd-ball in this thread and say that I've been a faithful user of CD products. My hair has responded well to the Healthy Hair Butter and I use it regularly for my styles (ex. 2-strand twists, flat twists, cornrows, bantu knots, etc.). I also use the Almond Cookie Body Souffle' and the Ecstasy Body Souffle'. I have noticed though, that since the company is so much more mainstream now (and that's great for her company!), the ingredients have changed for the worse (and for the worse I mean added chemicals vs. all natural). Well with that being said, I've been on the look out for a natural butter to style my hair with; I'm sure that I'll find something on LHCF to try. :grin:

....nothing wrong with that....

I love Carol's Daughter. I've tried many products and I find that Carol's Daughter products give my hair shine and elongation. Well, maybe just the Healthy Hair Butter. I am a self proclaimed Product Junkie, and her products work for me. The smell is little different, but hey, you can't get 100%.

After hearing so many bad reviews about Carol's Daughter, I tol myself that I was not going to waste my money until I saw a thread where the products were 40% OFF+ Free Shipping. I bought the Healthy Hair Butter, Mimosa Hair Honey, Elixir, and the Hair Balm. Well so far I have only used the Hair Balm and I am SO PLEASED with how shiny my twists are. I love this stuff. I hope I am just as pleased with the other products I purchased.

Everybody's hair is unique in it's own way. What may work for one may not work for the another.

I actually like the hair balm. I used that over quite a few things last winter for my twists and the moisture stayed an entire week. I even bought a second bottle cause I didn't want to run o ut.

I love their products. Hate the prices though. I've tried and enjoyed most of the CD hair care line. But those body oils are amazing and if I could afford CD, I would purchase the skin care products over hair care.

I used CD products back in the day. I used the hair butter, hair milk, and mimosa honey. Everything was cool until Mary and Jada got on board. The containers became smaller and the prices went up. Just can't afford it anymore.

I have never tried them, but I remember, when her products first came out, many people loved them on the natural hair boards I used to frequent in back in 2000-2002. Then, it seemed as though their prices started going really up and their formulations changed... And the backlash begun...

Last edited:
I don't think people hate on CD. Her products were on a list of things I wanted to like when I went natural, and unfortunately they had adverse effects on my hair - very drying and with prolonged use began to cause SSKs. I don't think every product needs to rock my world, but when it does something negative to my hair, I'm like AHHHH! That being said, I'm not opposed to trying more of her products if I liked the ingredients (which I usually don't), because I can get them at Sephora and return them if I don't like them.

I don't like the CD products that I tried. I bought a set which included the Hair Milk, Black Vanilla leave-in, Khoret Amen conditioner (I think) some kind of shampoo that I don't remember and the Mimosa pomade (I think). I hated the hair milk and the rest of the stuff was "ok". Well, "ok" is not good enough for me to spend that kind of money. On top of all that, the stuff was way too smelly for my taste. I have allergies and sensitive skin and all that stuff just made it worse.

I've noticed that when I start talking to my friends and family about how I am natural now, they will all of the sudden start talking about how they want to try CD....like that has anything to do w/ being natural.

I don't hate on CD or Lisa for creating these products. I can just do better for less money.

I think the hate comes from the demographic you are looking at. This is a hair care board. Many of the popular start-up natural hair care lines have roots in this forum. What hte average consumer may consider great, LHCF considers sub par. Our memebr's analyze everything and notice the slightest changes to their hair based on a product. I believe that Carol's Daughter is probably a great product for a person who has basic hair care knowledge and is not as in tune with their hair as women on this board. I have never purchased her products and I probably never will based on reivews.

I think this about sums it up along with the fact that what works for some doesn't work for all. I for one can atest to this in that I use to swear by products such as Pink Oil Moisturiser, JAM, etc. until reading the affects such products can have on your hair. I haven't tried CD products as of yet, but just received a gift set for Christmas so I'll try them eventually. As far as expense, I personally don't think her products are any more expensive than Mizani which is the product line that I swear by and have heard a lot of mixed reviews about as well.

I haven't tried the entire line but I do love her hair balm, and healthy hair butter which I use both when I do my braidouts. I am addicted to her hair balm and need to order some more. I haven't tried her shampoos however. Plus her products do not break me out,or cause meto have an allergic reaction. Plus I consider her products to be reputable compared to some of these "Kitchen chemist" who are not qualified to be mixing up hair products. She may be a bit pricey but at least her products have been around for years compared to some of these new people who may botch up your hair and or face (been there done that ) with their homemade ingredients.

Last edited:
well i can't resist the good things i'm hearing about her Healthy Hair Butter, so i've put that on my wishlist. i browsed the rest of her sight and i want the almond body kid, the vanilla roll on, some deep conditioners, and shampoo. :look: i'm really a sucker for smell good, so i will try a bit of it. but from what i've read that hair butter is the best from her stuff. ♥

I've never used their product. From an outsider looking in, I find it hard to trust their claims since so many of their spoke persons only wear weave (Mary J Blige, Jada Pinkett Smith). The only reason I would ever give their product a chance is because of good reviews from LHCF.

Jada wears weave...I had no idea. I had admired her hair so on her new nursing show--not sure if it's still playing.

Anyways, I tried a leave-in from the line once a year so back and it left my hair feeling stripped. I'm glad it was a sample b/c I can't bring myself to try anything else.

I used to use the healthy hair butter but it left a residue and build-up on my hair and scalp plus I hated the medicinal smell. I switched to Darcys Botanicals Madagascar Vanilla cream and haven't looked back.

I jumped on the Carol's Daughter train when I started doing my own hair in 2007, but I jumped off long ago because most of her products were not "the business" for my hair.

Rosemary Mint Herbal Shampoo with Sea Moss: THIS IS THE WORST HAIR PRODUCT THAT I HAVE USED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. It left my hair dry, tangled and coated, and my hair felt like it was going through a metamorphosis of textures when I used it.

Healthy Hair Butter: It was "okay" at best.

Lisa's Hair Elixir: It is a heavy oil, but it works pretty well when used to revive second-day twistouts. It gave my hair a nice sheen. I still buy it because DH uses it as a body oil.

Tui Hair Smoothie: It left my hair tangled and coated. It provided no moisture whatsoever to my hair.

Black Vanilla Leave-In: I really liked this product because it was light and it moisturized my hair. I stopped using it when the ingredients changed.

Mimosa Hair Honey: The best thing about this product is the smell. For my and my stepdaughter's hair, it did not live up to its claim of adding sheen and taming frizz.

I purchased the Princess and the Frog set for my niece for her birthday back in September. The products have worked great for her - tons of slip, no tears on wash day. I'm not sure if I posted in this thread before, but I think that "hate" is only an LHCF thing, cause her business is still booming.

Products don't work for everyone, this is obvious. The thing is that this forum is made up of a lot of women talking about hair, and we often try the same prods. I don't have a problem with cd, but my hair sure does. However, it's easy for me to try their products because I can get them from Sephora and return them if I hate it.

Back