Carrier Oils

soslychic

What exactly are carrier oils? Are they any other oils besides essential oils? I wanted to use jojoba oil as my carrier for my scalp massages, but I think it's too expensive to be used for that purpose if I can find a cheaper carrier oil? Suggesions anyone? TIA!

jrw

Carrier oils are oils that you put essential oils in. Since essential oils should not be placed directly on skin, carrier oils help disperse them. Carrier oils can be almond oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, etc. I prefer almond and coconut oils. They are very cheap.

soslychic

Thanks jrw. I'll go with the coconut because I was going to buy that anyway to put in my moisturizer.

By the way, I was planning on doing my scalp massages before washing my hair so that when I rinsed my scalp, I could get the oils off and they wouldn't clog my pores, but I may not have those extra 5-10 minutes in the morning so I was wondering if these oils would clog my pores if I did my massage at night, left on the oilis and rinsed in the morning. Does anyone know?

Nonie

I think you'd be OK using the oils as an overnight treatment. Natural oils like coconut, jojoba, avocado...and essential oils are easily absorbed by our skin so they do not cause any clogging. To clog your pores the oil would have to form a sort of plug, which these light oils do not do. In fact, that's what makes them unique, their ability to penetrate our hair and skin. And that's why they are popular in aromatheraphy - which isn't just about smells, but it calls for oils that can move through cell walls.

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
nonie said:
I think you'd be OK using the oils as an overnight treatment. Natural oils like coconut, jojoba, avocado...and essential oils are easily absorbed by our skin so they do not cause any clogging. To clog your pores the oil would have to form a sort of plug, which these light oils do not do. In fact, that's what makes them unique, their ability to penetrate our hair and skin. And that's why they are popular in aromatheraphy - which isn't just about smells, but it calls for oils that can move through cell walls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great news! Thanks nonie!