Caruso Steam Roller Questions???

sweetpeadst

What is the trick to getting the curls you want without the moisture and frizzing?? I really wanted the VS Ionic Steam rollers but could not find them!

You should leave the rollers on for a few seconds. I usually shake the rollers to get rid of the excess water. HTH.

Similar to Pink Flower, I remove water from the roller by quickly blotting the end that was sitting on the steamer on a tissue or towel. In my instruction booklet, it is recommended that you remove those water dropplets before rolling you hair. I think I steam each roller for about 10 seconds. My booklet recommends different steaming times for different hair lengths and thickness.

I don't get any frizz on my curls and the ends are nice and smooth. I use them on air-dried hair. I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Are you pleased with your caruso rollers? My hair feels good though! Just a little frizzy I guess from one roller.

VERY PLEASED! I have pics in my album. My hair feels great after my "steam" treatment.

sweetpeadst said:
Thanks everyone! Are you pleased with your caruso rollers? My hair feels good though! Just a little frizzy I guess from one roller.

sweetpeadst said:
Thanks everyone! Are you pleased with your caruso rollers?

I am! :yep: This is my third set. My first was many years ago when you had to add salt to the steamer. I just bought the new one about a month ago and , like you, I was looking for ionic rollers (either by Caruso or Vidal Sassoon). But, this set of Caruso rollers are just as great as I remember.

In another thread, I read that the ionic rollers are better because they cause less frizz and heat up faster. But I don't get any frizz with my rollers and a ten second heat-up is fast enough for me. I have one roller steaming while I am rolling my hair with another, so the steaming and rolling process is very quick.

Out of curiosity, I will still probably want to try the Ionic ones someday, but my Caruso ones do get the job done beautifully. :)

natalied said:
VERY PLEASED! I have pics in my album. My hair feels great after my "steam" treatment.

You really know how to work those rollers! I think I will not be using heat for a long time now! Now what am I going to do with that maxiglide???????

Same thing I do with my CHI. Use it right afte a relaxer to get the hair completely straight so you can measure how long your hair has gotten! :lol:

sweetpeadst said:
You really know how to work those rollers! I think I will not be using heat for a long time now! Now what am I going to do with that maxiglide???????

I leave my rollers in for only 5 mins if I just want to get the hair straight with body. Longer if I want a head full of curls. My ends are really dry so I actually add a little Hot 6 oil or shine serum to the ends before I roll and that works for me. I leave the roller on the steam for 5 seconds per the instruction booklet, and no frizz.

I bought mine from Amazon.com

lkg4healthyhair said:
I leave my rollers in for only 5 mins if I just want to get the hair straight with body. Longer if I want a head full of curls. My ends are really dry so I actually add a little Hot 6 oil or shine serum to the ends before I roll and that works for me. I leave the roller on the steam for 5 seconds per the instruction booklet, and no frizz.

I bought mine from Amazon.com

just 5 sec I thought i read 1 min

sweetpeadst said:
just 5 sec I thought i read 1 min

I leave the roller on the steam for 5 sec then I remove and roll the section of my hair. Once I finish adding all the rollers I leave them on for 5 min. Longer if I want tighter curls

I believe the booklet read 3-5 sec for fine hair. If I left the roller on the steam for 1 min the roller would be dripping wet.

lkg4healthyhair said:
I leave the roller on the steam for 5 sec then I remove and roll the section of my hair. Once I finish adding all the rollers I leave them on for 5 min. Longer if I want tighter curls

I believe the booklet read 3-5 sec for fine hair. If I left the roller on the steam for 1 min the roller would be dripping wet.

I guess I was just excited to get the rollers huh??

Hello, When I purchased the Caruso rollers some 5 yrs ago, I hated them! It was frizz city! The directions said to leave the roller on the steamer for 15-20 sec. My hair was a sopping mess. :eek:

About 1 yr ago, I tried again with the VS Ion version. The directions said to leave the roller on the steamer for 3-5 sec depending on the size of the roller. I then leave them in my hair while I get dressed or whatever. 10 or so mins later I have all day curls. I also let the curls set for about two mins after removing the roller- before I comb to style my hair.

The difference is in the amount of steam (or water) that is in the roller before you start. I also found that if the bottom of the roller is wet then I'm putting too much water in the steamer. Inside there is a VERY faint line made onto the plastic container- it is less than 1 inch up the long side. This means I add more water about 1x per week using the steamer daily. I refill with distilled water and clean every three months with a vinegar & water combo.

Now, I love this thing so much, I purchased another online (amazon.com) just as a back up. I now have the VS system and the Ion Caruso. By using less time steaming the rollers, even the Caruso makes my hair shine, and I love the curls. They gently loosen as the day wears on, but my style rocks well into the night. :)

I hope this helps. I have lurked on this board for almost a year before joining. I have learned so much from everyone here- this is a golden site! Because of the info sharing, I have stopped using curling irons on my hair every day to using the VS curl system. So from scorching heat every day to once or twice a week ( I still either blow dry or wet to dry flat iron, but in between its the VS).

ravensunshine said:
About 1 yr ago, I tried again with the VS Ion version. The directions said to leave the roller on the steamer for 3-5 sec depending on the size of the roller. I then leave them in my hair while I get dressed or whatever. 10 or so mins later I have all day curls. I also let the curls set for about two mins after removing the roller- before I comb to style my hair.

The difference is in the amount of steam (or water) that is in the roller before you start. I also found that if the bottom of the roller is wet then I'm putting too much water in the steamer.

:eek: If you have to shake off water from the roller, you are already in trouble ladies!

The rollers should be steamed, not wet.:ohwell:

sweetpeadst said:
What is the trick to getting the curls you want without the moisture and frizzing?? I really wanted the VS Ionic Steam rollers but could not find them!

To get curls and no frizz heat just the roller not the cover. Be sure you hair is dry when you take the rollers out or you will get frizz. I just go over over the rollers lightly with my blowdryer before I take them off if I'm in a hurry.

You can find the Ionic Steam rollers at Target.com ($19.99 +shipping) or Amazon.com around the same price.

Last edited:
Back