Castor Oil + Honey + Cheap Conditioner = Deep Conditioner??

LaPetiteCoquette

Hello ladies,

I usually prefer more expensive things to cheaper things, or natural / organic to chemicals. But, I'm having a hard time finding a good deep conditioner. My hair doesn't like any of the standard commercial "black hair" conditoners like LeKair Cholestorol or Dark & Lovely. It feels "okay" with J/A/S/O/N biotin or KeraCare conditioners (though my hair absolutely loves their shampoos!!)

So what I have been doing is making a mixture with 50% Suave coconut conditioner (yeah, the 1.99 stuff), 25% coconut or castor oil, and 25% honey. My hair feels good afterwards, better than those other things mentioned. I know everyone's hair is different, but am I setting myself up for disaster? Is this "enough" for deep conditioning? Is it enough for an after Aphogee deep conditioner? Is it good enough for my midweek conditioner wash? Or do I need more? Does the addition of oil and honey make it a "deep conditioner?"

JustKiya

Hrm. I don't think it's enough for after Aphoghee, no.

I think it's enough for a midweek cowash.

I'm not sure if it's enough to be your 'main' DC.

I say that, because the cheapie isn't a DC. So really, you are just DC'ing with olive oil and honey. And...... I dunno. I don't think that's enough, for the long term.

KAT25

this sounds good for occasional treatments but I am wondering if the long term affects of the honey on your hair would be bad.

I do know that the Coconut Conditioner is good for co-washes

Sorry I was not of more help. :grin:

LaPetiteCoquette

Hrm. I don't think it's enough for after Aphoghee, no.

I think it's enough for a midweek cowash.

I'm not sure if it's enough to be your 'main' DC.

I say that, because the cheapie isn't a DC. So really, you are just DC'ing with olive oil and honey. And...... I dunno. I don't think that's enough, for the long term.

Argghh :wallbash: That's what I thought. SO basically I have to be a product junkie until I find a better deep conditioner, especially for after Aphogee. Maybe I'll go back to KeraCare, it didn't make my hair feel "bad" just not "good" you know. Anyway .... Thanks!

LaPetiteCoquette

this sounds good for occasional treatments but I am wondering if the long term affects of the honey on your hair would be bad.

I do know that the Coconut Conditioner is good for co-washes

Sorry I was not of more help. :grin:

No, that was super helpful. I think it's good for co-washes but as JustKiya said, probably not good for after Aphogee and general deep conditioning. Is honey bad for your hair? I thought it was a good moisturizer?

KAT25

Argghh :wallbash: That's what I thought. SO basically I have to be a product junkie until I find a better deep conditioner, especially for after Aphogee. Maybe I'll go back to KeraCare, it didn't make my hair feel "bad" just not "good" you know. Anyway .... Thanks!

I didn't think that KeraCare had DC conditioners but I always thought that most deep conditioners come in a tub..

Pantene Relaxed and Natural Mask is GREAT

ORS hair Mayo

JustKiya

Have you tried any of the Elasta products? A lot of people are seeing good results from those. HelloHydration is supposed to be really good, too.....

And I don't know where I got olive oil from! :lol:

And honey is great for your hair - a lot of long term use might lighten your hair slightly, as honey does produce a tiny amount of peroxide as a by-product.....

E. Princess

You aren't setting yourself up for disaster. I feel that combination is good for a deep conditioning and you can also use it for your conditioner washes. I've never used aphogee so I can't say if this will good after that treatment. I've used honey in my conditioners and shampoos and I haven't experienced any negative effects.

Eisani

Your mixture isn't a disaster waiting to happen, and it actually sounds like a pretty good prepoo. Try adding the honey and castor to one of the DC's you don't really care for and see how that works for you. I still prefer my Dominican conditioiners for DC's, but I always add extra stuff to mine. If there's a product I don't particularly like, I try to dr it up a bit with things that I know will benefit.

Last edited:

Menina Preta

Hello ladies,

I usually prefer more expensive things to cheaper things, or natural / organic to chemicals. But, I'm having a hard time finding a good deep conditioner. My hair doesn't like any of the standard commercial "black hair" conditoners like LeKair Cholestorol or Dark & Lovely. It feels "okay" with J/A/S/O/N biotin or KeraCare conditioners (though my hair absolutely loves their shampoos!!)

So what I have been doing is making a mixture with 50% Suave coconut conditioner (yeah, the 1.99 stuff), 25% coconut or castor oil, and 25% honey. My hair feels good afterwards, better than those other things mentioned. I know everyone's hair is different, but am I setting myself up for disaster? Is this "enough" for deep conditioning? Is it enough for an after Aphogee deep conditioner? Is it good enough for my midweek conditioner wash? Or do I need more? Does the addition of oil and honey make it a "deep conditioner?"

If you are looking for a good deep conditioner that is organic/natural, try Aubrey Organics' Honeysuckle and Rose Moisturizing Cond. or their Island Natural's Replenishing Cond. I use both and I love them. Based on the Aubrey site reviews, it seems like Jojoba Desert and Aloe (? I think that's the exact name) by Aubrey's is the 'best' moisturizing condish that they have. I haven't tried it nor have I seen many reviews for it on the board, but that's another possibility.

HTH (even though I didn't answer any of your specific questions, lol) :)

lilsparkle825

it doesnt seem like too much of a DC...an effective cowash yeah. like eisani said you can add the honey and stuff to your other DCs.

my favorite DC is kenra mc. i know its not natural, but it sure is expensive...lol

LaPetiteCoquette

I didn't think that KeraCare had DC conditioners but I always thought that most deep conditioners come in a tub..

Pantene Relaxed and Natural Mask is GREAT

ORS hair Mayo

I will try the Pantene Relaxed and Natural. I never thought of those for some reason.

Have you tried any of the Elasta products? A lot of people are seeing good results from those. HelloHydration is supposed to be really good, too.....

And I don't know where I got olive oil from! :lol:

And honey is great for your hair - a lot of long term use might lighten your hair slightly, as honey does produce a tiny amount of peroxide as a by-product.....
Thanks for your suggestions. No, I haven't used Elasta either, will add that to my list of things to try.
You aren't setting yourself up for disaster. I feel that combination is good for a deep conditioning and you can also use it for your conditioner washes. I've never used aphogee so I can't say if this will good after that treatment. I've used honey in my conditioners and shampoos and I haven't experienced any negative effects.
Thanks. Do you use the honey weekly?
Your mixture isn't a disaster waiting to happen, and it actually sounds like a pretty good prepoo. Try adding the honey and castor to one of the DC's you don't really care for and see how that works for you. I still prefer my Dominican conditioiners for DC's, but I always add extra stuff to mine. If there's a product I don't particularly like, I try to dr it up a bit with things that I know will benefit.

Yeah, that's a good idea to add those things to one of the other DCs that were just okay. Don't get me started on Dominican products. I do love those, Miss Key 10 en 1 is actually the conditioner that does most for my hair without adding anything. And it smells yummy. I just haven't been able to find any Dominican stiff since moving from NY to Toronto. A nice Canadian member did give me a list of potential places where I may be able to find some things, so I will have to make some phone calls this week. Thanks!

LaPetiteCoquette

If you are looking for a good deep conditioner that is organic/natural, try Aubrey Organics' Honeysuckle and Rose Moisturizing Cond. or their Island Natural's Replenishing Cond. I use both and I love them. Based on the Aubrey site reviews, it seems like Jojoba Desert and Aloe (? I think that's the exact name) by Aubrey's is the 'best' moisturizing condish that they have. I haven't tried it nor have I seen many reviews for it on the board, but that's another possibility.

HTH (even though I didn't answer any of your specific questions, lol) :)

it doesnt seem like too much of a DC...an effective cowash yeah. like eisani said you can add the honey and stuff to your other DCs.

my favorite DC is kenra mc. i know its not natural, but it sure is expensive...lol

More things to try. Thanks so much ladies!! I will let you what I find ...

discodumpling

Sounds good and simple.:grin: I usually try to stick to 4 or less ingredients for homemade DC's.

I use honey in alot of my DC's & yes over time the natural peroxide can cause gentle lightening. But the moisturizing and humectant properties are what keep me using honey.

E. Princess

I've added honey to entire bottles of shampoo and conditioner and used it every time I washed which was maybe twice a week. My hair felt just fine after each washing session.

LaPetiteCoquette

I've added honey to entire bottles of shampoo and conditioner and used it every time I washed which was maybe twice a week. My hair felt just fine after each washing session.

Sounds good and simple.:grin: I usually try to stick to 4 or less ingredients for homemade DC's.

I use honey in alot of my DC's & yes over time the natural peroxide can cause gentle lightening. But the moisturizing and humectant properties are what keep me using honey.

Thanks, ladies. Well, I'm going to start making my hair black with indigo so that should counteract the lightening process. Maybe I should post this in the "dumb question" thread, but what's a humectant? I know that honey is a humectant and that humectants are good, but how is it diff from moisture? Thanks. I picked up NTM Daily Deep Conditioner. I was in Walmart and the PJ-ism just jumped out at me. LOL! Anyway, will let you all know how it is on Sunday or Monday after my wash and DC.

HeChangedMyName

Good thread, but I have a question, What makes a good deep conditioner? What ingredients or elements are necessary to make it a DEEP conditioner versus a regular conditioner. Does anyone know? What ingredient other than protein differentiates a deep moisturizing treatment from a deep protein conditioner?

LaPetiteCoquette

Good thread, but I have a question, What makes a good deep conditioner? What ingredients or elements are necessary to make it a DEEP conditioner versus a regular conditioner. Does anyone know? What ingredient other than protein differentiates a deep moisturizing treatment from a deep protein conditioner?

This is exactly what I want to know as well. And is it products that make a DC "deep" or is it length of time or heat used, etc. that can also make a regular conditioner "deep?"

Barbara

Princess
Verifen Complex Advanced Conditioning Treatment :dance7:
Motions Moisture Plus (add olive oil or an oil blend) :woot:
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose (add olive oil or an oil blend) :lick:

HeChangedMyName

This is exactly what I want to know as well. And is it products that make a DC "deep" or is it length of time or heat used, etc. that can also make a regular conditioner "deep?"

I see, this is going to require some serious investigation. Maybe some hair care professionals will chime in and tell us the difference. I know at the salon, the cost between a regular condish and a deep condish is drastically different. lol

HeChangedMyName

Ok, I just emailed Garnier to ask them. I just picked a general company. no specific reason. I will let you all know what they say is the difference, that is, if they say anything.:grin:

JustKiya

Thanks, ladies. Well, I'm going to start making my hair black with indigo so that should counteract the lightening process. Maybe I should post this in the "dumb question" thread, but what's a humectant? I know that honey is a humectant and that humectants are good, but how is it diff from moisture? Thanks. I picked up NTM Daily Deep Conditioner. I was in Walmart and the PJ-ism just jumped out at me. LOL! Anyway, will let you all know how it is on Sunday or Monday after my wash and DC.

A humectant is a substance that actually ATTRACTS moisture. Usually, they do that by 'balancing' two different moisture levels - one in your hair, and one in the outside air. And since the air almost always has more moisture than dry hair, using a humectant actually pulls moisture from the air, into the hair. Because of that, also, sometimes you have to adjust your humectant use - going to a very dry environment, or as the winter starts, I know for me, I have to use less/lighter humectants, or they will start drying my hair out! :nono: It's pretty easy to catch though, as the hair, she will start feeling very different, very quickly.

A deep conditioner is different from a regular conditioner because of the molecule sizes of the active ingredient. A regular conditioner is only trying to make the outside of the hair 'pretty' - so it's molecules don't have to be small enough to actually penetrate the keratin of the hair - which, also, makes it cheaper.
A true DC, on the other hand, has molecules that can actually get INTO the hair, which is why MOST true DC's suggest that you use them with heat - the heat lifts your cuticles slightly, and makes it easier for the DC to get into the 'core' of your hair.

I don't know about the DCP vs DCM issue - I think it has something to do with the type of protein, but I'm not sure.....

LaPetiteCoquette

A humectant is a substance that actually ATTRACTS moisture. Usually, they do that by 'balancing' two different moisture levels - one in your hair, and one in the outside air. And since the air almost always has more moisture than dry hair, using a humectant actually pulls moisture from the air, into the hair. Because of that, also, sometimes you have to adjust your humectant use - going to a very dry environment, or as the winter starts, I know for me, I have to use less/lighter humectants, or they will start drying my hair out! :nono: It's pretty easy to catch though, as the hair, she will start feeling very different, very quickly.

A deep conditioner is different from a regular conditioner because of the molecule sizes of the active ingredient. A regular conditioner is only trying to make the outside of the hair 'pretty' - so it's molecules don't have to be small enough to actually penetrate the keratin of the hair - which, also, makes it cheaper.
A true DC, on the other hand, has molecules that can actually get INTO the hair, which is why MOST true DC's suggest that you use them with heat - the heat lifts your cuticles slightly, and makes it easier for the DC to get into the 'core' of your hair.

I don't know about the DCP vs DCM issue - I think it has something to do with the type of protein, but I'm not sure.....

Wow, thanks!! I'm still learning and you ladies are just so knowledgeable. So, then for sure, my cheapie condish plus stuff although it's not bad, it is def. not enough for deep conditioning, especially after Aphogee or something like that. Ok, cool. And the humectant thing is interesting. Are they just things like honey, maple syrup, and other syrupy substances that are humectants? Thanks so much!!!!

LaPetiteCoquette

Ok, I just emailed Garnier to ask them. I just picked a general company. no specific reason. I will let you all know what they say is the difference, that is, if they say anything.:grin:

Lol - they'll probably just tell you that you absolutely must buy their most expensive conditioner in order to get a really good deep conditioning. :grin: But, def. let us know what they say.

JustKiya

Wow, thanks!! I'm still learning and you ladies are just so knowledgeable. So, then for sure, my cheapie condish plus stuff although it's not bad, it is def. not enough for deep conditioning, especially after Aphogee or something like that. Ok, cool. And the humectant thing is interesting. Are they just things like honey, maple syrup, and other syrupy substances that are humectants? Thanks so much!!!!

Now, don't get me to lying, but I DO think that most syrupy stuff is a humectant. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the glucose/sucrose/fructose contect (is sugar a humectant, I wonder? Simple syrup? :lol:) or what - but they all are.

Honeyquat (made from honey) is also a humectant. As is glycerin. *thinks* I think Aloe Vera Gel, might be a humectant, but I'm not totally sure.

LaPetiteCoquette

Now, don't get me to lying, but I DO think that most syrupy stuff is a humectant. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the glucose/sucrose/fructose contect (is sugar a humectant, I wonder? Simple syrup? :lol:) or what - but they all are.

Honeyquat (made from honey) is also a humectant. As is glycerin. *thinks* I think Aloe Vera Gel, might be a humectant, but I'm not totally sure.

Thanks so much JustKiya!! You know a lot. LOL ("don't get me to lying" ... :lachen:).

SherryLove

Hello ladies,

why add natural or organic ingredients to a product that is full of petrochemicals and cheap ingredients??? you may want to try the aubrey organics line of conditioners. they are all natural and organic and moisturizing for the most part. smile....

LaPetiteCoquette

why add natural or organic ingredients to a product that is full of petrochemicals and cheap ingredients??? you may want to try the aubrey organics line of conditioners. they are all natural and organic and moisturizing for the most part. smile....

Thanks SherryLove. Someone else her suggested OA. I will just have to search high and low for it, just like I do everything in Toronto. Since I've moved here from NY, it's been so hard for me to find anything. Is that what you use, your hair is so drool-worthy.

HeChangedMyName

Lol - they'll probably just tell you that you absolutely must buy their most expensive conditioner in order to get a really good deep conditioning. :grin: But, def. let us know what they say.
Ha ha ha ha. They told me to call them during business hours so that a they could help with my specific issue in detail. I will try to remember to call tomorrow.

SherryLove

Thanks SherryLove. Someone else her suggested OA. I will just have to search high and low for it, just like I do everything in Toronto. Since I've moved here from NY, it's been so hard for me to find anything. Is that what you use, your hair is so drool-worthy.

thanks, LaPetite....I am wondering if you will be able to order the AO prods at www.vitaminshoppe.com from Toronto. They have really good prices.