Cathy Howse 365 day challenge

Shinka

Anyone want to do the Cathy Howse 365 Day challenge with me?

Goal: Try obtain on average 6 inches of growth by using her products and regimens. No protective styles, weaves, braides etc. I am starting today. I recieved her dew creme and deep conditioner.

I plan to wash every 3-4 days.
Deep condition with her conditioner weekly
follow with Dew or creme hair dressing (=mositurizing twice daily)

Either rollerset my hair and wrap ( no blow outs) Or airdry in bantu knots.

*go to the hair dresser every 8 to 10 weeks for a texiturizer ( truly depends on new growth).

After my Zandz Quick cleanse I will take Zinc, Iron and a multi vitamiun daily. ( Plus some type of oil, flaxseed or vitamin E).

If anyone wants to join let me know. I'll post montly with my "success" stories. or we can pm one another.

pebbles

I'll do it. I like Cathy Howse. I don't know if I can do a year of no protective styles, though, because of work. Otherwise, I'm game.

Falon

I use her products and I basically have followed her plan with a few slip ups since the end of March so I'm in.

ubavka123

She gives info on her site, but suggests that you buy the book. You can also buy her products on the site:
http://www.ubhpublications.com
I will join. I am 3 mo's into my own 365 challenge a la Cathy Howse. Her products work well for me. I love the conditioner and the creme. Although, I will still do protective styling, because I am on the bun challenge!

MrsQueeny

I did this when I was a member of the SBHGO board. I still have the copy of the homemade version of her conditioner. I am game to join again.

Shinka

great. happy growing. I'll check in every time i get a retouch. So far I'm had a relaxer 4 weeks ago. Trying to make it to 8 weeks.

Babygurl

For all the ladies that are starting this challenge, it WORKS. I started with Cathy Howse last August and I have definately grown and retained 6 inches of hair. I used her techniques, not her products, and I also used protective styles which she doesnt recommend. Her system does work!

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
Babygurl said:
For all the ladies that are starting this challenge, it WORKS. I started with Cathy Howse last August and I have definately grown and retained 6 inches of hair. I used her techniques, not her products, and I also used protective styles which she doesnt recommend. Her system does work!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great to know!! I started a 365 challenge in May. So, did you also skip the trims as she advises? This is the one part I am trying to do, but I can't get used to (so I did slip and dust my ends).

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I need to know from someone what products would be comparable or almost comparable to hers. I don't want to have to order from her.

TIA

ubavka123

[ QUOTE ]
LuvLiLocks said:
I want to join, but I can't do without wearing a protective style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Join anyway!
I did and I wear a french twist or bun everyday. I have Cathy's book and nowhere did she write no protective styles ever--she just said they were not necessary. She also basically says you should be able to style your hair however you want, which is why she never suggests hairstyles like other books do! Hop on the bandwagon!

Babygurl

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Babygurl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great to know!! I started a 365 challenge in May. So, did you also skip the trims as she advises? This is the one part I am trying to do, but I can't get used to (so I did slip and dust my ends).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when I started my challenge I had VERY ugly chewed up ends (see photo album) so I trimmed my chewed up ends (almost 2 inches of hair) to start from scratch. I havent trimmed them since then though. They are still pretty full. So I would start with a good trim if needed then leave your ends alone for the year.

Babygurl

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
She gives info on her site, but suggests that you buy the book. You can also buy her products on the site:
http://www.ubhpublications.com
I will join. I am 3 mo's into my own 365 challenge a la Cathy Howse. Her products work well for me. I love the conditioner and the creme. Although, I will still do protective styling, because I am on the bun challenge!

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing most people think about her challenge is that she is totally against protective styling which she is not, they just dont work for her. She says her challenge is for growing hair, the way you wear it (braids, buns, down, etc.) doesnt matter to her.

Babygurl

[ QUOTE ]
Raquel said:
I need to know from someone what products would be comparable or almost comparable to hers. I don't want to have to order from her.

TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

Well she has a homemade version of her conditioner (can be found on the Hair recipe Board here!) Its basically a reconstructor/protein conditioner, with a stimulant(peppermint oil) and oils (EVOO/coconut). Makes sure to get a good water based moisturizer (preferably one that doesnt contain protein).

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
i read her book. but she doesnt appear to haver anything special going on. wash your hair every 3 days. clarify every 6 weeks or 8 weeks, cant remember exactly, and moisturize moisturize moisturize, trimming isnt necessary, are her basic principles is it not? so whats different about her challenge, dont most people on the board do this anyway? just curious

Shinka

there nothing particularly different. It just haveing a regimen laid out for you instead of making one. Most people made their hair regimens and got their hair knowledge from cathy howse years ago. so may not be as "exciting" now because most of her advice which use to be controversial is now somewhat common knowledge. I just know my hair grew the best with her products and her regimen 4 years ago. Through my cuts, natural hair etc and trying this and that. I just want go back to basics for success. She very basic and straight forward.

Shinka

How is this challenge going for everyone?

I have been washing and deep conditioning.

I have to work on taking my vitamins and using just rollersets. I can't air dry and press through with the curling iron straightening technique to to my fragile colored ends. It was doing more damage than good.

I've also decided no to texturizer and just mildly strenghten with motions oil relaxer ( regular)

My new regimen:

*Wash hair every 3-4days: clarify or ph mositurizing
*Deep Conditioning ( Cathy howse dc)-1x week
*Rollerset or "perm rod" set: use dew, motions foam wrap and hot six oil spray.
*Spray surge on scalp daily
*mositurize ends with motions lotion ( 2x a day)

tryn2growmyhair

Babygurl said:
[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Babygurl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well when I started my challenge I had VERY ugly chewed up ends (see photo album) so I trimmed my chewed up ends (almost 2 inches of hair) to start from scratch. I havent trimmed them since then though. They are still pretty full. So I would start with a good trim if needed then leave your ends alone for the year.

Babygurl, could you please tell us exactly what you did and how it helped you? Thanks

moneychaser

honeydrop215 said:
i read her book. but she doesnt appear to haver anything special going on. wash your hair every 3 days. clarify every 6 weeks or 8 weeks, cant remember exactly, and moisturize moisturize moisturize, trimming isnt necessary, are her basic principles is it not? so whats different about her challenge, dont most people on the board do this anyway? just curious
Most people don't use protein as often. I follow her regiem and use the protein conditioner every 3 days.