Cathy Howse 365 Days Challenge 2010-2011

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
this is a great challenge OP. i would also like to add that MEGA TEK is great for the protein DC since karetin is the SECOND ingredient!. Also, protective styling would go sooo well with this challenge. i have already been doing these things for about 3 years and it PAID OFF!!

Rossy2010

this is a great challenge OP. i would also like to add that MEGA TEK is great for the protein DC since karetin is the SECOND ingredient!. Also, protective styling would go sooo well with this challenge. i have already been doing these things for about 3 years and it PAID OFF!!

Its nice to read that you recommend MT. I have it but was not so sure of using it coz many people had complained about shredding.

Btn I love your hair. You are one of my many role model in this forum :)

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Its nice to read that you recommend MT. I have it but was not so sure of using it coz many people had complained about shredding.

Btn I love your hair. You are one of my many role model in this forum :)

awww thanks SO MUCH :blush:!!!

Theres shedding problems becuase mega tek is 100% protein which causes protein overload if your not careful. You MUST keep your protein/moisture balance on point!! i can use mega tek every week as a DC and not get shedding becuase i use alot of moisture in my hair, such as, scurl and care free curl activator. you have to, have to balance out all that protein!

MEGA TEK is perrrfect in every way for a protein DC.

Rossy2010

awww thanks SO MUCH :blush:!!!

Theres shedding problems becuase mega tek is 100% protein which causes protein overload if your not careful. You MUST keep your protein/moisture balance on point!! i can use mega tek every week as a DC and not get shedding becuase i use alot of moisture in my hair, such as, scurl and care free curl activator. you have to, have to balance out all that protein!

MEGA TEK is perrrfect in every way for a protein DC.
THK!!!! I read about jheri juice and I have been using Care Free Curl Gold for a week now. Since joining LHCF I do not have so much shredding coz that was always my biggest problems. I will try MT and see how it works for me. .

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
THK!!!! I read about jheri juice and I have been using Care Free Curl Gold for a week now. Since joining LHCF I do not have so much shredding coz that was always my biggest problems. I will try MT and see how it works for me. .

cool!:grin: i love the juice!!! i DC on dry hair, its better that way. be careful, its a hard protein DC!!!! thats why i love it. its just as hardcore as aphogee two step! IMO! the more protein I do, the more juice i use!

HHJ!

janda

AdoraAdora, I love your hair. Questions- Do you add anything to MT? For ex. CH recommends making your DC with EVCO, EVOO, oils, etc. Do you follow it up with a purely moisturizing DC?
Right now, I'm DCing 2x/week. One time with protein (right now using Aveda DR) doctored up like CH recommends and follow with moisturizing DC. The 2nd, DC of the week is just moisture. I'm a closet juicer :yep:- using Bee Mine Juicy at night. I'm co-washing almost everyday and wet bunning. After co-washing, I use a moisturizing leave-in and then spray with Aphogee K & GT. What do you think? Am I on my way to moisture overload?

TruMe

2. Apply UBH protein deep conditioner or any of your favorite protein conditioner once a week or every other week or you can use cathy howse's recipe:
16 oz of reconstructor or protein conditioner (please ensure that mineral oil is NOT an ingredient)
8 ounces of olive oil
4 ounces of coconut oil
1 teaspoon of peppermint oil

(You can alternate between your moisture DC and your protein one)
MUST USE 'HEAT' (i.e. DC with a plastic cap overnight etc) OR YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY ON DC PRODUCTS!
make sure you follow with moisturizing conditioner after this for 15 mins :)

Question about blue highlighted part:
OK, let's say I do the protein treatment today, do I still do a regular Deep Conditioning with my regular conditioner under the dryer using heat? Or do I just apply my conditioner as usual, leave in for 15 mins and just rinse it out?

Thanks!!

my-everything

Question about blue highlighted part:
OK, let's say I do the protein treatment today, do I still do a regular Deep Conditioning with my regular conditioner under the dryer using heat? Or do I just apply my conditioner as usual, leave in for 15 mins and just rinse it out?

Thanks!!

For me, it all depends on the strength of the protein treatment (light or strong/heavy) and if my hair feels hard or slightly dry afterwards.

Light protein-leave in for 15 mins and just rinse it out

Heavy protein-Sit under the dryer then rinse

greight

So although I haven't been updating, I have been doing the Howse Method. Kinda... Sorta...

I haven't deep conditioned twice this past week since I've been busy at work and my hair regimen fell off (also tried a new hairstyle that was a hit! not protective though so....)

I co-washed last Tuesday (lack of hair products). I used David Babaii Hydrating Conditioner which I think will be a co-washing staple. But I think I might co-wash from now until the end of the summer while doing the 2x a week deep condtioning.

I'm cowashing tonight (Aussie 3 min) since my hair feels extra dry, but I'll do my complete wash/DC on Wednesday. I also plan on trimming my hair another inch. I think I'll do this every month or six weeks until my split ends are gone. I might take off more depending on how I feel.

Prettyeyes

I am in because I love Cathy Howse. I will not follow all the challenge rules but will keep you posted on how my progress goes!

greight

Okay, I washed with Elucence MB Shampoo and I'm deep conditioning overnight with Giovanni Smooth as Silk.

I think I might break from the challenge and co-wash (with Elucence MB Conditioner) for the rest of the month since I'm seeing breakage :perplexed. I'm also going to try to keep my twists in for three weeks at a time. My hair gets dry every 2 or so days and I think I've been over manipulating. I need to get some Direct Leave-In but it's hard finding it in my area so I buy online.

I've done co-washing before and just redid the twists that seem to begin matting. It wasn't bad, but I don't really like fuzzy hair.

greight

Woops, forgot! I detangled dry for the first time today without the aid of water/conditioner. I used castor oil and then olive oil. Olive oil alone does not do anything, but after softening the hair with castor, the olive oil went through better.

Not sure if I'm sold on dry detangling yet.

lilpopers

So I have been following the method although I find that the recipe is making my hair really oily so I think I am going to get rid of the rest of it and just deep condition with a store bought conditioner.

janda

I've been doing pretty well with the challenge. All except the limited combing rule as I feel the need to comb my hair everyday. Tonight I pre-pooed with WGO, EVCO and EVOO mix with a few drops of Rosemary Oil to dilute the smell then I washed with 100 Percent Pure Honey Coconut Shampoo. I DC'd with the Howse recipe using Aphogee 2 min as a base and now I'm under the dryer DCing with the 100 Percent Pure conditioner.

my-everything

I hope you're all doing well!!! I've been keeping up with the challenge pretty well and my hair looks really healthy!!!
:grin::grin:
This month i will be focusing on keeping my hair as detangled as possible without using my denman...:yep:

Prettyeyes

My mother happened to have Cathy's book and I borrowed it after all these years of trying a couple of her techniques, I am going to read it for myself. Like I said before I know I have my own regimen but I use one of her techniques and once I read the book I may find something new. I am also going to purchase at least one of her products to show her some $$ support! HHG!

janda

My mother happened to have Cathy's book and I borrowed it after all these years of trying a couple of her techniques, I am going to read it for myself. Like I said before I know I have my own regimen but I use one of her techniques and once I read the book I may find something new. I am also going to purchase at least one of her products to show her some $$ support! HHG!

Let us know if you pick up any additional recommendations and tips in her book.

SelfStyled

I am on auto pilot....things are going well. I wash/cowash 2x a week- DC at least 1/wk. I have been hair journaling and making sure to get in light protein treatments. I cannot wait to see where I will be in a year from now.

Newtogrow

I am still hanging in there, I have scaled back to washing and DC at least once a week due to my low manipulation regimen.

LovinLocks

:yep::yep:This is absolutely true. From my understanding though, Cathy Howse's information, advice and techniques came about 'before' hair forums such as lhcf were popular or even around!!

You are correct in this statement; that's why I was wondering why Ms. A was lightweight hating, LOL.

Anywho, I did the bc telling myself I was prepping for dreads. Well, I had to be honest with myself . . . ain't happenin' (which meant I cut off my mbl, 4" from wl hair for NOTHIN:whyme:. It's aiight, I'm telling myself the fun is in the journey (yeah right). Bottom line, I'm back on regime to get my "somewhere between mbl and wl" locks back. Oh and my beginning pic is right up top left, my current profile pic.

Namaste,

LL

P.S. And, I'll be using C. Howse/ayurvedic hair care regiment.

Last edited: