Cathy Howse Conditioner vs. Homemade Recipe

ANUBIS

I have been using UBH Conditioner as my DC staple for ever but its so pricey I'm thinking about ditching the packaged product and making my own at home using Cathy's recipe from an older book that has olive oil, coconut oil, mane n tail conditioner and peppermint oil. Has anyone tried both Conditioners and are they comparable to one another? I don't want to sacrifice quality but i was thinking that i'm sure Cathy used her concoction to grow her hair out initially until she came out with a product line so it cant be that bad. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hi would you mind giving me the exact measurements

I think I replace the mane n tail with WEN and use it as a leave in

Cathy Howse Homemade Conditioner

16 oz. of Protein Reconstructor/Conditioner (your choice)
8 oz. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 oz. of Pure Unrefined Coconut Oil (Refined is okay)
2 tsps. of Essential Oil of Peppermint

Combine ingredients and mix well; if using a bottle recap and shake until all ingredients are mixed. To use: Apply to hair in sections, focusing on ends. Allow conditioner to penetrate under shower cap by using heat. Sit under dryer for at least 15-30 minutes. Rinse and follow up with an instant moisturizing conditioner, if necessary.

keepithealthy

I have been using UBH Conditioner as my DC staple for ever but its so pricey I'm thinking about ditching the packaged product and making my own at home using Cathy's recipe from an older book that has olive oil, coconut oil, mane n tail conditioner and peppermint oil. Has anyone tried both Conditioners and are they comparable to one another? I don't want to sacrifice quality but i was thinking that i'm sure Cathy used her concoction to grow her hair out initially until she came out with a product line so it cant be that bad. Any input would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

I've never used that product or even knew about the recipe but I've made my own conditioner at home using the same EXACT ingredient (I've never made a whole bottle, just enough for one application) and that mix is gooooood!!

Charla

mzteaze and keepithealthy

What does the ppo do for the hair in this conditioner? I did try ppo in my VO5 Moisture Milk, and it instantly made my hair feel like straw. I had to follow with Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter to get my hair feeling back to normal.

I can use ppo on my scalp with no problems. THanks.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
mzteaze and keepithealthy

What does the ppo do for the hair in this conditioner? I did try ppo in my VO5 Moisture Milk, and it instantly made my hair feel like straw. I had to follow with Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter to get my hair feeling back to normal.

I can use ppo on my scalp with no problems. THanks.

Charla
If you are following Cathy Howse's "program", you would use this protein conditioner with heat FIRST, then follow with a moisturizing conditioner. You need both to have protein-moisture balance.

I follow a similar set up - I shampoo first, use Roux PC & detangle, use my protein conditioner for 20 minutes with heat - rinse - then follow with 30 mins+ with a moisturizing conditioner (I use Joico's Intense Hydrator or Moisture Balm).

ANUBIS

Charla the ppo is used to stimulate the scalp promoting blood flow to the scalp to stimulate the hair folicles for growth. You only add a few drops as it can be dying...you just want it to make the DC tingle your scalp. HTH

Charla

Charla the ppo is used to stimulate the scalp promoting blood flow to the scalp to stimulate the hair folicles for growth. You only add a few drops as it can be dying...you just want it to make the DC tingle your scalp. HTH

ANUBIS
That must be where I went wrong because I added about 1/2 teaspoon to less than half a bottle of VO5! I know better next time -- no wonder my hair felt like straw!

Iwanthealthyhair67

mzteaze actually I've done this before I have some mixed up now only I call it the CW protein treatment it's the protein half of the protein/ moisture CW treatments thanks for your time