CHANGES: How and why has your regimen changed?

AngieK

<font color="brown">I was looking back on some of my old hair journals from last year and I realize that I have learned a lot since then. The basic regimen is the same, but there are several things that are different.

Since then, I have mastered airdrying. For one thing, I now use an ACV rinse with EVERY wash. For me, this has cut down on tangles TREMENDOUSLY. My wet combouts are much easier, and my air-dried hair is smoother and softer. Last year, my air-dried hair was sort of crinkly and not so soft. I also am sure to use a leave-in conditioner along with oil and some type of styling fixative. Once I have my hair combed into place, I DO NOT TOUCH it until it is fully dried. This cuts down on "Poofiness". Last year, I used to fiddle with it while it was drying and I always ended up with big hair. Now that I have "perfected" the method, I airdry the majority of the time. I only rollerset whenever I get the patience to sit under the dryer.

Last year, I was rollersetting my hair on the magnetic rollers with the plastic covers. Now, I have FINALLY learned how to use the roller clips -- which I think is better because it cuts out the unnecessary friction on my wet hair.

Last year, I would always do a pre-shampoo conditioner whether I deep conditioned or not. Now, I only do one or the other -- either a pre-shampoo treatment, or a post shampoo deep condition with heat. Now that my hair is in pretty good shape, there really isn't a reason for me to do both.

I guess that I can say that one of the most important things that I have learned over the past year is that my hair is actually FINE to medium. I originally thought that it was medium textured all over, but it is not. Now that my hair is properly relaxed (not over or under processed), and I am using a core group of great products, I can see that my hair is not coarse and is actually very soft -- which can be tricky. Although my hair is fine, I have a lot of strands and it can look deceivingly thick at times and has fooled a lot of stylists in the past. This has made a difference especially in the way that I style my hair. Hair spray, spritz, and firm hold setting lotion is a big no-no for me. I now use styling creams, foams and spray gels instead. I keep it moisturized (but not with heavy oils), and I am more aware of products that cause a buildup on my hair. Now, whenever my hair starts to feel coated, coarse or brittle, I take the time to make an assessment and then I reach for a clarifier (instead of slapping oil on it in with the hopes that it will soften up)!

What about the rest of you? What things have you learned about your hair over the past 12 months?

AngieK </font>

Nyambura

surfer girl
Let's see.... <ul type="square"> [*]Increased protein - coloring my relaxed hair is the cause for this; no problems so far [*]Increased moisture - turns out my hair loves daily rinses, esp. w/distilled water [*]Simplified routine - finally figuring out my hair's likes/dislikes [*]Protective styles 24/7 - this works out well b/c it takes so little effort yet keeps my hair looking neat all day; plus, my ends are happy! [*]Supplement breaks - I saw a thread about the body needing a break and absorbing supps more efficiently post-cleansing [*]Fewer rollersets - again, too much effort (at least during summer) [/list]

twinietwintwin

When i think about my hair care regimen over the past few years i see a complete 180 on how I currently handle my hair..... First of all, i remember i was more fixated on the smells of the shampoo and conditioner than i was on how it helped my hair.... This involved a lot of "white people shampoos and conditioner" i never deep conditioned, and i always permed my whole hair instead of just touch it up... I rarely ever clipped my ends and i never wore protective styles, when i had braids in i never kept them moisturized.... Now i wash my hair at least 2-3 times a week and i make sure i deep condition at least once a week and i do conditioner washes alternating... I get touch ups every 2 months instead of 4-6 weeks.... and i clip my ends every time i touch up.... I use a protein conditioner once a month... I clarify my hair once a month also...I stopped using grease and started using WGO.... I keep my hair in protective styles, right now i'm trying the Crown and Glory method and my hair has never been this long in all my life.... it's thicker and healthier looking..... I wouldn't change my regimen for all the world....

God bless

Crystal

I used to use Ultra Sheen before this board, then switched to Aubrey products and essential oils. Experimenting with essential oils I've switched to the Kemi Oyl line. Since using the Kemi Oyl line my hair has turned into a huge frizz ball. So I'm thinking of going back to Ultra Sheen (hence mineral oil/petroleum) or the castor/jojoba/rosemary oil mix suggested by SherryLove.

GinuwinesBoo

i used to rollerset my hair weekly but all that was making my hair break way too much and i still need to use a flat iron after it. now i wear my hair curly mostly with conditioner washes every day or every other day. i rarely wear it straight. i also watch the amount of hair in my comb and since i switched the amount of hair in my comb from a whole week used to be the amount of hair i have in my comb per day.

ThursdayGirl

1. I know what my hair feels like now when its dry vs. moisturized, now. So I wash it 2-3 times a week instead of waiting a whole week.

2. I don't use the same products because I've figured out some of the stuff that my hair doesn't like and found a couple of things that my hair does like. I'm now using a leave-in and I didn't before this board. I'm also using better conditioners... so my hair is softer than it used to be (I love it!).

3. I use seamless combs now and am more careful when my roots are thick, so I don't pull as much hair out. The hairs are now more normal shedding versus breakage. I don't really comb my hair often-I finger comb and place.

4. I now sleep on satin pillowcase (cheap one ...but it works) and wrap my hair in a smoother scarf - religiously. Before I had rough hair in the back from sleeping on cotton and being lazy. My hair started matting up too. The last of that stuff is being cut off with my trims.

5. I look for more hair friendly accessories and stopped wearing my hair in a ponytail so much...to stop the breakage
. This has done wonders. My ponytails when I do wear one on a rare occassion is much thicker now. I usually wear my hair in a french roll... (now I am starting to bun... I finally have the length to do it (yay!)).

6. I use heat on the rare occassion (i.e. after a touch-up or for occassions like weddings and things). The condition of my hair has improved so much doing this. It just feels better in my hands now... and behaves better. Its more convenient too. I just wash... put it up in a clip/bun/roll and go.

7. I take EPO and EFA now. I have seen how soft my new growth is when I take it like I am supposed to...versus when I don't.

-I know ... my hair was mess before I started learning the things I learned here (not terrible...but not as healthy as it is now).

inthepink

My regimen has changed in the past 1.5 months that I've been hanging around this site:

1. I only use seamless bone combs on my hair. I rarely brush my hair...meaning like once a month, I may take the brush and brush the back of my hair into a ponytail.
2. I do a real deep conditioning - I use a product for deep conditioning and usually sit under the dryer instead of just waiting 5 minutes in the shower.
3. I don't comb through my hair with tangles and all. I stop when it starts to catch. I realize now, the "noise" I used to hear was my hair popping off. I only comb now if my hair is wet or very moisturized.
4. I wash my hair in two sections to avoid tangling. This has been helping me save so much hair.
5. I take my time with detangling. My hair is 'precious' and I'm starting to treat it that way.
6. I stop using products that don't work unlike before where I'd keep using it just b/c someone suggested I do.
7. I keep my ends moisturized...carefully...every single day. I used to only put a tiny bit of oil on my ends every other day. No wonder my hair was so dry.
8. I wash twice a week to avoid my hair drying out. I've stopped being lazy about washing and I don't mind as much b/c I love hair products, I have a hair goal, and it's so much easier now that I've learned new things.
9. I hardly ever wear my hair down to avoid the ends drying out and I can see already that I haven't developed any new split ends since my last trim. (about 1.25 inches at the end of June)

I think that's it...

Jade21

Angie,

There are two things which I would mention for the last year.

1. Organic resin aka bone comb. I love the huge detangler and all I want is another one which I will get before the year ends. Reduced static when combing and nothing like it for an easy detangle. And, I truly thought I was doing extremely well. Takes so little time now, wet or dry.

2. Lighter regular conditioner in the summer to eliminate frizz in the humidity. This is like my hair discovery for 2003. It's amazing to me that the frizz has not been a problem for me in the tremendous humidity. This is one thing which I cannot say is thanks to myself. It was pure accident. After the fact, I realized "what did I do differently?" and backtracked to find out.

~Jade~

AngieK

<font color="brown">Jade,

Where did you purchase your organic resin "bone" comb? It sounds like something that I might like to try.

AngieK </font>

Peachtree

Well, the biggest change I've made was co rinsing daily (or at least 5 days/wk). Why? It keeps my hair conditioned, moisturized, very easy to manage.

northernbelle

I have been associated with the LHCF since 8/03. However, I have added deep conditioning treatments to my weekly regimen, and protein and clarifying treatments as needed.

Additionally, I am paying greater attention to my hair: how it looks, how it feels, and responding accordingly. While I am not obsessing over my hair, I am simply more aware of its appearance and its needs.

Third, I have become more knowledgeable about products, especially conditioners and shampoos, and have become more open to trying products, such as natural oils, rather than being completely wed to my green Ultra Sheen.

Last, I have a better understanding of what causes damaged hair, which has been immensely useful.

northernbelle

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
question??

when you guys say conditioning rinses does that mean you full wash your hair but just with conditioner or do you just spritz some water on your hair with conditioner?

C

Cami

[ QUOTE ]
question??

when you guys say conditioning rinses does that mean you full wash your hair but just with conditioner or do you just spritz some water on your hair with conditioner?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried the conditioning washes this week for the first time but I do not like them at all. The first time I tried it, it was okay. I tried it again yesterday and it seemed like a lot of my hair came out. I didn't comb my hair or anything either, I think it's just because while the hair is wet, that's the weakest stage. I'll stick to my once a week shampoo and deep conditioning.

Peachtree

I use "CO wash" &amp; "CO rinse" as 1 in the same....

Anywho, I do a full CO wash daily, meaning, I'll either apply the condition to "dry hair" before my shower, or apply it to "wet hair" in the shower. I'll pin the hair up or cover with a plastic cap, finish showering, then rinse out the conditioner.

I'll apply my leave in, comb through, apply my oil (&amp; styling products if any), then make a bun &amp; allow the hair to air dry.

Sorry, I know that was more than u asked for

BTW, I use Lustrasilk Cholesterol conditioner for CO washes; VO5 Detangle &amp; Shine (or Motions) leave in; Hot 6 Oil, peppermint/rosemary concoction.

GinuwinesBoo

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried the conditioning washes this week for the first time but I do not like them at all. The first time I tried it, it was okay. I tried it again yesterday and it seemed like a lot of my hair came out. I didn't comb my hair or anything either, I think it's just because while the hair is wet, that's the weakest stage. I'll stick to my once a week shampoo and deep conditioning.

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to hate them too but once i found the right conditioner i love them. i dont do them for weekly replacements of shampoo though, i do them when im going to wear my hair curly/wet or in a bun so that i can maintain the style everyday. u should try suave conditioners

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
Anywho, I do a full CO wash daily, meaning, I'll either apply the condition to "dry hair" before my shower, or apply it to "wet hair" in the shower. I'll pin the hair up or cover with a plastic cap, finish showering, then rinse out the conditioner.

I'll apply my leave in, comb through, apply my oil (&amp; styling products if any), then make a bun &amp; allow the hair to air dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I do too.