"CHEAP" hair product buyers............ U-N-I-T-E!

Peachtree

\"CHEAP\" hair product buyers............ U-N-I-T-E!

Ok, I'll be the first to admit (& I have a LHCF reputation for this)... I'm CHHHEAP when it comes to buying hair care products!

When I was relaxed, I used "Boxed Perms" & did my own touch ups for 13 or so yrs. If the perm cost more than $5, I'd leave dat sucker on da shelf!! I would relax every 4-6 mths, so that gave me plenty of time to find out which bss had a sale that was friendly on my pocket!

When I was transtioning, I used a lot of cheapy conditioners (Vo5, Suave, etc), so it was easy to be cheap... I mean frugal then!

Now that I'm natural, I'm finding it somewhat difficult to stay under my $5 (20oz) limit. I like using natural products on my hair, but goodness, that stuff is EXPENSIVE! Or else, yeah, u can buy it for under $5, but u'll end up with only 1.25oz of product!

I Refuse to spend more money now as a natural than I did with a relaxer. For the record, I have spent $20 on 1 product, but I have 128oz of product to show for it!

Where are my other frugal sista's? Let's all unite & post PROUDLY about our cheap ole buying habits!

... I know that I can't be the only one /images/graemlins/poke.gif

Many smiles,
Peachtree

amy1234

Re: \"CHEAP\" hair product buyers... U-N-I-T-E! Don\'t leave me hangin\' now!

add me to the list! I already know that all my hair needs is moisture and strength and whatever conditioners that can give me those things I will buy. I don't even think that I would venture into trying any new products because it might cause me to waste money.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Re: \"CHEAP\" hair product buyers... U-N-I-T-E! Don\'t leave me hangin\'

I try to be as frugal as I can, but I feel the pull of natural products calling me and I give in sometimes. /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif I still take advantage of sales, coupons, rebates and samples whenever I can.

inthepink

I've tried and had to go back to CD products but they will last a while and my hair is worth it! I am cutting expenses as much as I can elsewhere for haircare. I'm so glad my hair loves Suave Coconut conditioner! I like Pantene spray leave-ins, also.

Faith

Sorry Peach...I spend whatever I need to in order to try and achieve the elusive soft hair I'm chasing...my own whale /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Right now my shampoo costs $15 for an 8oz. My conditioners are about $15-20 for an 8oz...I won't tell you how many I have./images/graemlins/look.gif I'm thinking since NTM is cheaper I'll try and stick with that and humecto. If you find very effective products at a cheap price let me know /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Blacktresses

There are many things to consider as far as products. As I preuse this forum and others...I find that others speak on the reason why products maybe cheap. Some products may have a expiration date on freshness. My question ( others have not answered this is .... Does that mean it is less effective ? Now...don't get me wrong...I'm all about being frugal. But what are we sacraficing by doing so /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have been natural for over 15 years. In 2003, I joined this forum and attempted to find products for my natural hair. Because for my hair type (check my signature ) it seems that I have to go that extra mile and spend on EO and butters that are expensive ( especially due to s&h ).

Another reason to naturals may tend to spend is that some products that work fine on looser curls to do work as well on tightly curl hair. This is what I have encountered on my own journey (if there are others ... please speak out loud!!! /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif ).

I have just given one of my closest friend's ( who's relaxed )over 100 dollars in products that just do not work for my curl pattern. I am still on a seach for natural products that work.

Just remember... not all products work for each curl pattern. Not all products are created equal!!!

inthepink

I would love to use cheaper products but I tried and tried to find a decent moisturizer for my hair and most of them are "water-based" and leave my hair just dry! I don't know why! It seems everyone else can use products like Elast Mango Butter, ORS Olive Oil Lotion and those types products except for me! They just don't work! I finally went back to CD products and my hair has made a tremendous turnaround! It seems to be the only thing that gives me the results I want and leave me with healthy hair. I did have a problem with buildup before but I wasn't washing my hair daily. I'm so glad I went back to CD. Yes, there is a lot to consider. I am also grateful that while I am not rich, I am stretching my budget to purchase my beloved CD products!

MonaLisa

I'm all off the topic...and don't need to be on here cause I'm a Keracare/NTM/Mango Butter using chick....but I just looked at Hairlove's avatar...
Hairlove...I met her once at the Warner Brothers building in New York...and she looks EXACTLY like that in person, but maybe even a tingggeee lighter. Beautiful curly hair...I was trying not to stare at her or her hair...lol

*Mo runs out of this thread now...please don't hit me...* /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ShortyDooWhop

Peachtree, I'm ever on the quest for the cheap products to keep my hair soft and beautiful. My roommate just gave me her Keracare Silkenseal, but when I saw the price ($24.99) I knew it was a one time hair experience. Surprisingly enought, my natural is sooooo soft by using the silken seal. So, frugal sister that I am, I looked around to see if I could find products that are comparable -is curls Extra Strength ANti-frizz hair serum, coupled with S-Curl No Drip Curl Activator. I'm loving the softness of my hair.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I like buying inexpensive products as well. I feel some of them can do just as well as the higher priced products. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peachtree

Re: \"CHEAP\" hair product buyers... U-N-I-T-E!

Curlybun
U hit it on the nail "moisture & strength". That's all that my hair needs to... (at a cheap price)!

Nymphe
Girlfriend, the natural products YELL OUT my name, lol. I'll get hubby to buy those pricey products... sumtimes he won't fall for it though /images/graemlins/blush.gifhwell:

Hairlove
I've been gone for so long.. I didn't know that u stop using CD for a while. I know HHB was ur fav during ur transition... I liked it during my transition, I just couldn't "spread it" /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif. I'm gonna put a few CD products on my
Christmas list! I'm glad the Suave Coconut works for u. It didn't do anything for my hair... & the smell was tooo strong... gave me a headache!

Faith
Oh my dear Faith! Please don't tell me how many $20, 8oz conditioners u have /images/graemlins/rofl.gif Girl, my eyes were POP'D OUT reading ur post! ... & here I am crying about paying $5! Too funny! Whateva' the price, UR HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL GIRL!

Blacktresses
I understand where ur coming from. I will never sacrifice the health of my hair to save a buck! For me, it's not worth it. However, I will look for those cheaper products that are not watered down, nor loaded with alcohols, petroletum, etc, while at the same time gives me consistently wonderful results /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif
My issue is that I'm trying to stick with natural products (my homemade concoctions), however, the ingredients are too pricey. ((exhaling)) Buying in bulk helps a little though.... what's a girl to do!

ShortyDooWhop
"Peachtree, I'm ever on the quest for the cheap products to keep my hair soft and beautiful." Have u found any that works wonderfully on ur hair?

Poohbear
I agree with u.
I know that everyone's hair is different & products will not work the same on
everyone's hair... shoot, I've had products that worked horribly on my hair 1 minute & worked beautifully on the next attempt! (& vice versa) ... and this was true for both the pricey & cheaper products... so go figure!!!

inthepink

Peachtree - Have you tried Suave Coconut since you've become all natural? This product did nothing for me while transitioning and I finally tried it on a whim when I became natural and I am amazed that it works wonders.

Another cheapie product I LOVE is Suave Professionals Awapuhi. It is a creamy leave-in Conditioner. It makes my hair so shiny and moisturized. I use it every day.

re: Hair Butter. They seem to make it creamier now. I've ordered two jars in the last month and both were light and creamy...easily spreadable like a lotion moreso than the thick cream it used to be.

Kha

Add me to the frugal shopper list also. I am very cheap when it comes to hair products and I very seldom spend over 4 dollars for anything. I do have a lot of essential oils and natural products. A friend of mine and I go half on all of that stuff, especially on essential oils because you only need a few drops to add to almost anything.

mkstar826

supersonic

I'm a mixture...I love cheap conditioners like Suave Coconut and DDTA, but I also love going to Aveda and buying stuff. Pretty much, if I can find something cheap that works, I'm good, but I don't mind spending extra on something that works and doesn't have a cheaper alternative.

NGC

I wish I could use cheaper hair products but my scalp disagrees with it, LOL. I am itch city with many Suave products and my hair hates Pantene. It was okay with St. Ives, but my hair sighs with relief everytime I go back to Back to Basics, Elucence, and Hairobics. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kha

Back to Basics and Hairobics, I've never heard of those. Are they salon brands?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Fellow cheapskate in the hizzouse! /images/graemlins/wave.gif On the rare occasion I try and like an expensive product, I'm always on the lookout for a cheaper alternative.

good2uuuu

I'm cheap, too!!!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Frugalitia is my middle name...LOL

Ayeshia

My most expensive product is ORS hair mayo...8.99 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ShortyDooWhop

ShortyDooWhop
"Peachtree, I'm ever on the quest for the cheap products to keep my hair soft and beautiful." Have u found any that works wonderfully on ur hair?
3) Whole Foods brand (365 Botanical Conditioner) - $2.00 and this is hands down one of the best conditioners I've EVER used - it can also be used as a leave in if you dilute it
4) Nature's Gate Herbal Hair Conditioner - another great leave in also - $5.00 though
5) Cream of Nature - Both the shampoo and Conditioner (highly recommend)
6) KENRE!!!!!This is the splurge item that I haven't broken down and bought, although the sample was the BOMB (tick-tick-boom) It was great - maybe I'll ask for a liter bottle for X-Mas (j/k)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Stiling Aides (and please believe I've tried lots)
1) Gel IC Thick N'Shine) this is great for the interviews, when you want to catch all the flyaways - It's about 5.00 for a 16 oz jar (only neg. is it can leave your hair hard - so I smooth oilve oil on after)
2) QP Elasta Breakage Control Serum ($4.69) although you're supposed to wash out, sometimes when I wear a bun I use it as a leave in on my ends)
3) Rusk smooth sensories passionfruit leave in [THIS IS THE BEST LEAVE IN I'VE EVER USED IN MY LIFE!!!!!!! NO LIE!!!!! You can get it for $10.00 at Walgreens - this is worth every dime -your hair will thank you]
4) Salerm 21 - good substitute for the Rusk - plus the bottle is only $8.99 and you can dilute it with water so one bottle becomes two
5) Staple that I slept on and have recently returned to - S Curl Activator
6) Vegetable Glycerin - dilute with water, your hair will love you

Shampoos
I've tried everything
1) Dr. Bronner's Pep. Soap Fav. $5.00 bottle that lasts
2) Suave 2-n-1 shampoo (and conditioner) they clean built up really well, and smell yummy - you can usually pick up two 12 oz bottles for $5.00
3) Finess w/ silk and soy proteins- this makes my hair feel soo soft
4) Cream of Nature - GREAT, GREAT, GREAT
5) Kenra - another splurge item

Crap that you shouldn't waste your money on
1)FX Curl Booster- Fixative Gel
2) Some Marc Anthony Curl gel - it's crap in a jar

I think that's everything- at least for now

Peachtree

Dang ShortyDooWhop,
ur list look like mine... (the one that I have on my outdated website)!

I'm glad that u've found products that work well on ur hair /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nonpareil

Yeah I do it! No shame in my game! My staples are Suave Humectant, Blue Magic Curl Activator Gel, and Coconut Oil! When straight I use Loreal Vive (instead of Kerastase). Occasionally I may splurge on a conditioner, but not much - expensive products do nothing for my hair these days.

Desert Skye

I tried to use cheaper shampoos and conditioners but my hair just wont have it! I love the way the Milk and Honey conditioner smells but it just doesnt leave my hair with enough moisture.

Shortydowhop I tried to Kenra Conditioner in a sample too i was like..... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif This stuff is goooood! imma ask for it from santa.

SouthernGirl

Well, I've been looking for ways to save accross the board after realizing that I pay a lot for things in departments stores that I can get at Target for cheaper (same quality in some cases). While I'll pay any price for hair/skin products, I'm learning that "what works" doesn't always have to have a hefty price tag! Here's a list of some of my cheap hair staples:

Suave products (even their lotions aren't bad)
Mane and Tail (can use on doggy and me /images/graemlins/smile.gif)
Wild Growth Oil
Combs at Sally for $1.99
Creme of Nature Shampoo
Vitale Relaxer stuff

Being a do-it-yourselfer also helps me save a ton!
SG

MonaLisa

Okay...I had to rethink this...and confess...Okay...
I think I'm a mixture...cheap and more pricey..

I love Keracare and NTM....BUT my hair also loves...
(and I have bottles stashed away is this a bad sign?)
of White Rain Coconut Conditioner, I'm down to my last bottle of VO5 Pina Colada Conditioner, I gots me some Softee Coconut (yeah, I threw grease back into the mix after peeping Kitchen's hair)and some Suave Humectant conditioner (I love the smell). I also didn't know that
CON was considered cheap. If it is...I'm down...cause I ain't neva lettin dat go.

I also have the Fantasia IC Thick and Shine Gel (love it...love da smell)...but I paid 2.89 for my 16 oz jar...:)

I've been eyeing the Coconut Blue Magic for 2.89 as well...

Peachtree

Bublnbrnsuga & Virtuasis, u2 are FUNNY!!

LABETT

I would have to say that I love the Elucence poo and conditioner and will spend the money to buy this line.
I am lucky that I have a friend that works at a salon and gives me her discount so I pay only half price for salon products.
I found a lot of products on sale this year for 4 and 5 bucks otherwise I would have not bought them.

Peachtree

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
....I am lucky that I have a friend that works at a salon and gives me her discount so I pay only half price for salon products.
I found a lot of products on sale this year for 4 and 5 bucks otherwise I would have not bought them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's a great deal /images/graemlins/cool.gif
It's good to have friends in nice places /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
Re: \"CHEAP\" hair product buyers............ U-N-I-T-E!

I wish I could find a cheap product that doesn't make my hair feel like hot *rhymes with hit*. But I will keep on looking.