Check this out

tmichelle

While looking through so many threads on this forum, I sometimes come across people writing things like, "wow, I didn't know the Bible said that", or "does the Bible talk about [insert issue]?", or "I never heard that story/person/etc. in the Bible."

It is so imperative that everyone who professes Christ get to know the Words of His Father. I have touted this particular Bible several times before, but in light of recent questions, I thought I could recommend it once more. I cannot say enough about this Bible, it is The Daily Bible In Chronological Order 365 Daily Readings http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Bible-I...d_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222204342&sr=8-2

I first ran across this Bible at a congregation I went to several years ago (and several states away). The preacher at that congregation told me that he had never given that Bible away to someone who wanted to know God's word who had never been able to get through it easily. Althought it says it gives devotionals, it doesn't (and that is one thing I love about it). It summarizes what you are about to read in a gray box and then you read it. It doesn't add a whole lot of personal opinion to the scriptures. Our whole adult class used it as a "lesson book" for the year.

I have since given the Bible away at least 20 times (probably more). Everyone loves it! When I gave one to my father several years ago he put it aside (he has read the Bible daily for at least 35 years probably more). My mother picked it up instead, (she rarely sat down to read the Bible on her own although she faithfully attended services 3 times a week and would do her Bible lessons). She loved it so much that she took it from my dad and told him to go get his own. My mother has gained such insight from reading the Bible cover to cover that my dad has taken notice and wants his own copy now.

I personally have seen with my own eyes how much knowledge people have gained over the course of a year or two reading this Bible. It is very exciting.

If you are interested in purchasing a copy, I have seen it at all the Christian bookstores and even at Barnes and Noble. Right now is a perfect time to buy a copy. If you get one before October 15th you can start on that date and read the Historical Interlude between the Old and New Testament (this is just if you are curious as to what the world was up to during the ~400 years the Bible is silent). Three days later (the 18th) is a wonderful time to start because you can read the entire New Testament by the end of the year.

Okay, I know this is getting long, but I've just got to say this about how streamlined the New Testament becomes. Because this Bible is Chronological, the Gospels are combined so that you get one continuous story. If you've ever wondered how in the world Christ was in the tomb for three days/nights if he died on Friday and was raised on Sunday, or you couldn't figure out just how many women actually showed up to the tomb and when, or just when and where each of the letters/epistles fit in during the book of Acts (and who all these people in Acts are anyway). Then this Bible will make it clear without changing or altering the Words of God (It is NIV which is not my favorite version but it's okay anyway).

Okay, commercial over!

Duchesse

I've heard about this Bible before, and I agree, too many who say they are Christian (myself included), have not or do not read the Bible in it's entirety. I know I've tried several times and always fail miserably!

tmichelle

I've heard about this Bible before, and I agree, too many who say they are Christian (myself included), have not or do not read the Bible in it's entirety. I know I've tried several times and always fail miserably!

Oh, I hope it goes well for you next time you give it a go! Anything I can do to help I'm totally willing.

While I absolutely love this Bible, I've also found listening to the Bible on CD (probably ipod now) is a good way to go through, especially if you have a long commute or are able to listen to headphones at work.

Aviah

Same here, I want to try and do it in 2009, God willing...

fuchsiastar

Thanks! I'm going to look this one up. Like others, I often fail when trying to get through the entire book.

tmichelle

[/b]

Same here, I want to try and do it in 2009, God willing...

Definitely! Perhaps you can get a friend to do it with you, or even suggest it for an adult class at church. I always like when someone else is going through it too and we can talk every once in a while about the latest readings.

Thank you for this post.

You're welcome :)

Thanks! I'm going to look this one up. Like others, I often fail when trying to get through the entire book.

This one is by far the easiest to get through I've ever seen. I have another daily Bible that isn't chronological (it has a reading from the O.T., N.T. and Psalms everyday). I hated it, I had no idea what the context of my daily reading was. Even for someone who has been able to read the Bible from cover to cover in the past, I just couldn't deal with it broken up in that manner. I also have been given several devotional Bibles which I also hate. There are so many different colors, symbols and other doodads around that I find it difficult to get to the text, I also find that they are shallow and sometimes miss the main point of scriptures.

This one reads like a novel (one guy on Amazon said it read like an adventure story) I have to agree.

I hope it goes well for everyone and if there is something I can do to help you get through it, let me know! Even if it is just someone to discuss the weeks reading or something.

tmichelle

Thanks for this tmichelle!

Are you familiar with the Life Application Study Bible ? How does it differ from the one you posted? I'm reading reviews for both, and I'm still confused :drunk:.

I know about the confusion, there are soooo many different Bibles out there! These two seem to be quite different. The Life Application Study Bible has a lot of charts and maps (I kind of like charts) but it also has a lot of character studies, notes, devotional readings, ideas for being a leader etc. Those things always confuse my daily reading.

I say, if you have the $$$ and really are interested in the features of the Life Application Study Bible, get that to bring to church. In fact, the Daily Bible in Chronological order is not a good Bible to bring to church because you would never be able to follow along with scripture references due to the fact that it is arranged chronologically. I keep my copy of the Daily Bible by the side of the bed and read it every night. It never leaves its home by the bed. When I head to church or Bible study, I bring a regular/simple version of the the NASB without extras (although the words of Christ are in red).

I think that the Life Application Study Bible is for those who perhaps would like to delve into certain topics at particular times, but not necessarily for daily reading (unless you have the time and want to go through all the devotionals, character studies, notes, etc. The harmony of the gospels they speak of in the review are actually cross-references with the other gospels whenever the story overlaps. In the Daily Chronological Bible, the gospels are actually combined into one continuous story (the scripture references are off to the side s) so that you don't read redundant stories and you are able to read what happened from beginning to end without trying to piece together a whole picture from 4 different books. The same is done with 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicals and the various prophets. (Until The Daily Chronological Bible I would always get confused as to what prophet went with what king and what time period). The Daily Bible is good for those who want to go through the whole Bible and get a clearer picture on the whole story in an easy manner.

momi

I will add this to my list... I think I have some Family Christian Stores coupons somewhere.

Thanks so much for this review!

Britt

I know about the confusion, there are soooo many different Bibles out there! These two seem to be quite different. The Life Application Study Bible has a lot of charts and maps (I kind of like charts) but it also has a lot of character studies, notes, devotional readings, ideas for being a leader etc. Those things always confuse my daily reading.

I say, if you have the $$$ and really are interested in the features of the Life Application Study Bible, get that to bring to church. In fact, the Daily Bible in Chronological order is not a good Bible to bring to church because you would never be able to follow along with scripture references due to the fact that it is arranged chronologically. I keep my copy of the Daily Bible by the side of the bed and read it every night. It never leaves its home by the bed. When I head to church or Bible study, I bring a regular/simple version of the the NASB without extras (although the words of Christ are in red).

I think that the Life Application Study Bible is for those who perhaps would like to delve into certain topics at particular times, but not necessarily for daily reading (unless you have the time and want to go through all the devotionals, character studies, notes, etc. The harmony of the gospels they speak of in the review are actually cross-references with the other gospels whenever the story overlaps. In the Daily Chronological Bible, the gospels are actually combined into one continuous story (the scripture references are off to the side s) so that you don't read redundant stories and you are able to read what happened from beginning to end without trying to piece together a whole picture from 4 different books. The same is done with 1&2 Samuel, 1&2 Kings, 1&2 Chronicals and the various prophets. (Until The Daily Chronological Bible I would always get confused as to what prophet went with what king and what time period). The Daily Bible is good for those who want to go through the whole Bible and get a clearer picture on the whole story in an easy manner.

Thank you sooo much for this post.
At home, I currently have a regular NIV Bible that I read. But it doesn't explain anything.

Casarela

I would like to know where I can get it! If not Ill just grab my regular bible and study...im thinking of studying with my best friend or a collegue at work who has a common interest in God.

tmichelle

I would like to know where I can get it! If not Ill just grab my regular bible and study...im thinking of studying with my best friend or a collegue at work who has a common interest in God.

You can buy it at Barnes & Nobles, Amazon, and any Christian bookstore. Grabbing your regular Bible and studying is also very good. The Daily Bible in Chronological order is good for those who would like to read through the entire Bible.

temfash

Tmichelle, thank you so much for the review and recommendation. I went out and bought this bible, daily ordered reading has been a challenge for and I have never read through the bible cover to cover. I take this as a personal challenge and I know that I will be blessed.

tmichelle

^^^ You're so welcome! I'm sure you'll find it easier to read through than just about any other Bible you've ever picked up even though it is the Bible in its entirety. And you will be blessed indeed.

tmichelle

I will add this to my list... I think I have some Family Christian Stores coupons somewhere.

Thanks so much for this review!

Love those coupons! I don't go in there without coupons. Let me know if you get it and start the readings what you think of the gospels especially the days leading up to the crucifixtion.