Childhood Hair vs Your Hair Now

esoterica

when i was about 6 my 4a/b hair was big fluffy very thick and long. very manageable. i never cried getting it combed etc. NOW however, 6 months of new growth send me running to the BSS for a tub of relaxer. i dont know what has happened to the texture of my hair. its close to impossible to style the roots without heat.

has anyone else noticed that their new growth seems like barbed wire compared to their hair pre-relaxers? i'm so annoyed that i ever had a relaxer.

For me, it was like a bell curve.

As a kid, my hair was hard to detangle, but probably easy to manage, if we'd know the proper techniques. It was soft and coily, not dry and rough.

When I was relaxed (over 20 years), my new growth was not pleasant to feel AT ALL. It felt wirey, rough and dry. I hated the feel of it.

During my transition, it went from the texture it was when relaxed to some texture in-between that and my childhood hair.

Now, after being on CG in the months since my BC, my hair is probably about the same as it was from my childhood (after the baby hair grew out and the adult hair came in).

I had BSL hair as a youngster, I didn't even get my first perm til I was 16 or 17. Until then my grandmother would do warm presses with the stove hot comb. I think the texture of our hair changes during puberty doesn't it?

yourleoqueen said:
I had BSL hair as a youngster, I didn't even get my first perm til I was 16 or 17. Until then my grandmother would do warm presses with the stove hot comb. I think the texture of our hair changes during puberty doesn't it?

I've heard that before. It's supposed to change a few times during the course of your life.

I read a study that says if you relax your hair before puberty it changes the way it grows from then on. I don't know how because your hair grows from the inside, but that is what I've read. :perplexed

Even regardless of race, hair texture along with color can change over years. I know a few white females who describe how their hair was much lighter or darker when they were children. I've seen people of every race show childhood pictures and their hair texture has changed drastically.

My newgrowth is the same as when I was a child. I got a relaxer in middle school. Then went natural in college. Now when I stretch my perms I love the way my new growth feels.

I was relaxed pre-puberty and I really don't recall my true childhood texture. When I was completely relaxed, my newgrowth was very thick and somewhat wirey. Then after my relaxer stopped "taking" (for several months) I noticed that my newgrowth texture wasn't as thick and coarse as usual. Then I started transitioning and it's completely different from my relaxed newgrowth.

I hope that makes sense. I've been transitioning for 15 months and my natural hair is just starting to get consistant in texture. It was somewhat wirey in some places, but now it's much better. I guess I had alot of "scab hair" (recent newgrowth from relaxer).

My parents said that my hair was mostly straight w/ a slight wave here and there for most of my childhood. They showed me some old pics and I was surprised. My hair appeared to be Type 1b/1c/C/iii
4.gif
I didn't pay that much attention to it back then and just assumed that it was always wavy.

Later, my hair became wavy Type 2b/C/iii. Now, the waves are getting looser. That's another reason why I stopped using a relaxer b/c it just didn't make sense, anymore. My mom said that my hair is simply getting back to its original state and will probably become straight, again, on its own.
7.gif
I hope that it quickly decides what it wants to do. :lol:

redRiot said:
Even regardless of race, hair texture along with color can change over years. I know a few white females who describe how their hair was much lighter or darker when they were children. I've seen people of every race show childhood pictures and their hair texture has changed drastically.

That's true regarding hair texture and color and eye color, too! :yep:

Speaking of hair color changing, etc... My mom had stick straight, platinum blonde hair and very light blue eyes as a child. Now, her hair is wavy and dark brown and her eyes are hazel, most of the time, and a light green, sometimes.

My uncle's hair was just like my mom's and then, it became curly, dark blonde to light brown. Now, it has become straight, again, but the color is pretty much the same.

Last edited:
My hair has gotten softer by being loyal to my beloved conditioner, Kenra. I just wet my hair, squeeze in a little conditioner with my hands and apply a nice smelling oil once I get out of the shower. I love it! I never knew my hair could be this easy to handle.

coarse, dry, and wiry then. coarse, dry, and wiry now.:ohwell: now that i've been using my beloved s curl it softens it up. but my hair has always been naturally dry and rough and probably always will be *sigh*

It took a while for my hair to be okay after stopping the relaxers. I had what is called scab hair, particularly at the crown. There was a section that was rough and hard and wouldn't respond to any product, really. But the more my hair grew, the more I saw that was just a temporary thing form all the years of relaxing. Perhaps you need to just give your hair time before you can truly know your natural texture?

As a child, my mother always brushed my hair (dry!) and/or blew it dry so it was always wild and thick and got mad tangles. When I was old enough to care for it, I didn't do a very good job. I basically just smoothed it into two ponytails without detangling. I'd do that for days until my hair was so matted it took extra strength and tears to get the knots out. No one ever told me how to care for curly hair. In fact, I don't even think I realized I had curly hair. If only I knew to put the brush down and only gently comb with conditioner while wet and LEAVE IT ALONE, I probably would have never felt the need to relax. Many years later it was a boyfriend who suggested I stop blow drying my hair (he didn't know anything about relaxers) and just wash it and let it dry. I started doing that and barely used a blow dryer after that. However, I still used a relaxer.

I went through a period of time while I was transitioning and after the b/c where I was really irritated that I ever used a relaxer. When I finally began to see the true texure of my hair I was so surprised. I think my hair is basically the same texture it was when I was a kid. The difference is how I care for it now.

I just need to grow my hair a bit longer, then comb out the curls so it goes all big and frizzy, then my hair would be just like my childhood hair :) ;)

I don't think my hair is much different post relaxer. Except I think the curl pattern is less uniform.

My new growth is basically the same texture as it was when I was a child. Its never been unmanageable but those little hairs that grow in that are only like an inch or so always have issues laying down. Now that I can put my ng into a ponytail I'm fine with it.I think it is just difficult when you cant get the natural hair to lay down so it looks like you don't do your hair or like no product can get it to lay down.

Currently I would say that my hair is very similar to how my hair was when I was a child (around the age of 12 or so). I've always wanted that hair back, and now I feel like I finally do ever since I did my corrective yesterday. yay! :)

I never had long hair as child.:perplexed It was very coarse and hard to deal with as I remember. I think this was mainly due to the fact that mother didn't know how to care for my hair. Especially what products to use. I kept my hair in cornrows that my mother redid 1x per week on average.

I really believe my hair would have been beautiful with the right knowledge, because now I LOVE my new growth.

So compared to now...I think my hair is much much much much better than when I was a kid.

My hair was very silky, shiny and straight/wavy. Very manageable. It looked a lot darker than what it is now, too. When I turned 12 or so, that's when it got frizzy and crazy looking. Got my first relaxer then and got them maybe twice a year. Haven't had another one in over 5 years and I can't be happier with my hair! I just need to learn how to manage the frizz in the summer and I'll be good to go!

I had APL natural hair that I got pressed until I was 12, then I got a relaxer at 12 and cut it to ear length at 13. It was like that until I was 18. Then I transitioned for 8 months and rocked a TWA for 2 months at 19. I've been relaxing regularly since I was then.

Hmmm funny you shoudl ask :lol: My hair is way shorter and drier than it was when I was younger. I dont think the texture has changed too much.

Cichelle said:
It took a while for my hair to be okay after stopping the relaxers. I had what is called scab hair, particularly at the crown. There was a section that was rough and hard and wouldn't respond to any product, really. But the more my hair grew, the more I saw that was just a temporary thing form all the years of relaxing. Perhaps you need to just give your hair time before you can truly know your natural texture?
i think you're probably right. i don't know how i'm gonna do it though. it used to take 3 hours for me to section and flat iron my hair before it can be cornrowed (i wear sew ins). if not it takes forever to braid. since i've had it relaxed i can flat iron in under an hour, and the cornrows actually lie flat on my head. going natural seems like my best option in terms of improving the texture, but just know that it would take days to do anything to my hair. maybe a texturiser is the way to go.

Back