Slow Growers, what technique or Growth Aid really boosted your hair growth

A few things have helped me when I stick to them: GNC Nourish Hair Vitamins, wearing braids or a sewn-in weave so I can spray my hair daily w/ braid spray (really helps), and shampooing once a week. My growth takes off when I leave my hair alone and keep it moistured i.e. braids.
same for me as well as taking ultra nourish hair and putting anoop oil in my hair.

wantingtogrow

Wow, I didnt even the response, I kind of thought I was in the minority :).
My hair has never been past my shoulders because certain scissor happy stylists would always cut it as my hair grows uneven anyway so I always hoovered around the same length unintentionally. That has definately changed though.

At the moment I am experimenting with different growth aids to increase my growth rate and basically trial a lot of them and then pick the best.

I am also going to try the vitamins (Biotin and MSM at first) and continue to monitor them.

I am sure at the moment though that BT can increase me to 1/2 per month which is still good for me, but going to alternate and incorporate some of the advice given here, hopefully I can report back with some good news.

MJ

I have found that the average is 1/2 but mine is 1/4 and tend to be disappointed when I try aids/techniques that do wonders for everyone else.
I used to be very frustrated with my growth rate but now learning to embrace it.

This has been my experience as well. I realized that even if my hair grows slow, I will achieve my goals as long as I retain the length. :yep:

Last edited:

adw425

When another poster mentioned mucopolysaccarides, I remembered that they are are contained in aloe vera, which is also in my homemade topical growth oil. I also like the wheat grass suggestion.

Mucopolysaccharides are found in large amounts in fresh aloe vera and in properly prepared aloe vera juices. Following are a few of the vital functions this substance has been found to perform.

· They become incorporated into the cellular membrane and make the cell more resistant to viruses and pathogenic bacteria.
· They improve overall cellular metabolism and functioning.
· They have anti-inflammatory properties.
· They provide critical lubrication of joints; helping to prevent arthritis and to heal it once it has developed.
· They aid in the absorption of water, minerals, and nutrients in the GI track.
· They improve macrophage (white blood cells) activity making them up to ten times more effective in engulfing foreign matter.
· They enhance the macrophage's effectiveness in modulating the entire immune system.
· They enhance the macrophage's effectiveness to stimulate and direct the production and release of antibodies (increasing the body's own production of interferon, interleukins and more).
· They increase the number of antibody forming T-cells in the spleen and increase the number and activity of killer T-cell and monocyte activity.
· They are responsible for aloe's special penetration properties.
· In conjunction with their cellular detoxification support and immune enhancement, they improve allergic reactions.
· They stimulate bone marrow activity.
· They stimulate the fibroblasts to release collagen and elastin to make new tissue (inside and out).
· The mucopolysaccharides in aloe vera enhance the functioning of the entire immune system, and repair and detoxify the digestive and elimination systems of the body. (51)

zzirvingj

:rolleyes:Ladies, don't forget to apply wheatgrass to your scalp and to drink one once a day. Wheatgrass feds the scalp and promotes fastand thick hair growth and redarkens your hair if you have gray hair. Wait at least 6 weeks to see really fast growth. Your hair comes out baby soft too. I love it. I use Ocean grown wheatgrass or if I run out of that. I go to Whole Foods market to get my wheatgrass. Go to your local health food store to purchase fresh wheatgrass. Ciao!!!

Which one are you buying from Whole foods to drink? Do you buy it fresh from the juicer or the frozen shots (cubes) from the frozen aisle?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
BUMP!!! I want to know, too! I have to make a run at Whole Foods to pick up raw honey, flax seed oil, and molasses. Tell me about this wheat grass. I've seen the drink.

Hair Iam

:rolleyes:Ladies, don't forget to apply wheatgrass to your scalp and to drink one once a day. Wheatgrass feds the scalp and promotes fastand thick hair growth and redarkens your hair if you have gray hair. Wait at least 6 weeks to see really fast growth. Your hair comes out baby soft too. I love it. I use Ocean grown wheatgrass or if I run out of that. I go to Whole Foods market to get my wheatgrass. Go to your local health food store to purchase fresh wheatgrass. Ciao!!!

I was just discussing this with a friend today..I'm purchasing it to add to my protein drink:grin: thanks for confirming what I suspected.

cicilypayne

Hey I think someone should start a thread asking all the naturalist about wheat grass? I'm off to do a search to see if its been talked about before I'm too lazy to start a thread and monitor it for responses :nono:. As you can tell from my start date I hardly even post:spinning:

Brownie518

I started getting growth (and maintaining) once I found the Board and started doing these things:

Moisturizing daily
Conditioner washes
Sealing with oil
Deep conditioning regularly
Taking Biotin and Silica
Using BT or Lenzi's Request :grin:

When I use BT or Lenzi's every day, the growth is crazy. I haven't been doing that lately. I usually use it Wednesday through Saturday, my days off, but the growth is still nice. I will be amping it back up right after my next touch up, though. :yep:

Creatividual

Boundless Tresses worked great for me. I get about an inch every 8 weeks. I wasn't using it as consistently as I should have and got an extra half inch of new growth after 8 weeks post relaxer.

I'm currently trying a nw mix that I created last night: ORS Hair Fertilizer, MN, peppermint oil, and rosemary extract.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
Still would like to know about the wheat grass. I did go to Whole Foods and purchased the packets of the wheatgrass powder to take with me while I'm on the run and need an extra boost. I got the Amazing Grace brand. It looks like this:

http://www.taoofherbs.com/products/2316/AmazingGrass/WheatGrassDrink.htm

I'm glad I got the packets, just in case it wasn't the right kind. The packets were about $1.39 each.

Coffee

This picture shows how short my hair was after I permed it and had been wearing a short short afro. I permed it in April of this year. The other picture was taken in August of 07. After I first permed, I was only using Dr. Miracle's Grow Oil. When I started reading all of the interesting info on this forum, I started DC with every wash and making sure I kept my hair moisterized , both have made a big difference. This forum is worth $5 plus!

Last edited:

Moroni

What was the name of the mucopolysaccarides and how much growth did you get from it? (If you don't mind my asking :) )

I took a product called Ambrotose Complex. I was also training for a marathon at the same time, and my miles averaged 15 per week. I know I gained a little over 12 inches in 1 year. That was 5 years ago. I've stopped running and I don't take those supplements anymore, but with the help of this forum, I've got my growth rate back up to about 1 inch every 6 weeks.

alwayzalady22

I took a product called Ambrotose Complex. I was also training for a marathon at the same time, and my miles averaged 15 per week. I know I gained a little over 12 inches in 1 year. That was 5 years ago. I've stopped running and I don't take those supplements anymore, but with the help of this forum, I've got my growth rate back up to about 1 inch every 6 weeks.

:blush::blush::blush::blush:

your hair grew a FOOT in 1 year?!?!? did you document this growth?

:needpics:

Kawaii1

When another poster mentioned mucopolysaccarides, I remembered that they are are contained in aloe vera, which is also in my homemade topical growth oil. I also like the wheat grass suggestion.

Mucopolysaccharides are found in large amounts in fresh aloe vera and in properly prepared aloe vera juices. Following are a few of the vital functions this substance has been found to perform.

· They become incorporated into the cellular membrane and make the cell more resistant to viruses and pathogenic bacteria.
· They improve overall cellular metabolism and functioning.
· They have anti-inflammatory properties.
· They provide critical lubrication of joints; helping to prevent arthritis and to heal it once it has developed.
· They aid in the absorption of water, minerals, and nutrients in the GI track.
· They improve macrophage (white blood cells) activity making them up to ten times more effective in engulfing foreign matter.
· They enhance the macrophage's effectiveness in modulating the entire immune system.
· They enhance the macrophage's effectiveness to stimulate and direct the production and release of antibodies (increasing the body's own production of interferon, interleukins and more).
· They increase the number of antibody forming T-cells in the spleen and increase the number and activity of killer T-cell and monocyte activity.
· They are responsible for aloe's special penetration properties.
· In conjunction with their cellular detoxification support and immune enhancement, they improve allergic reactions.
· They stimulate bone marrow activity.
· They stimulate the fibroblasts to release collagen and elastin to make new tissue (inside and out).
· The mucopolysaccharides in aloe vera enhance the functioning of the entire immune system, and repair and detoxify the digestive and elimination systems of the body. (51)

So then could you just use aloe vera on your hair or take it internally?

adw425

I add aloe vera to my homemade topical concoction for my scalp. I also add it to my conditioner and I drink about an ounce a day. I mix it with my goji juice.

blazingthru

My hair grows slowly it has growth spurts, but I dont know when that is. I stopped monitoring my hair it was driving me crazy. I wash it everyday with conditioner and I keep it moisturizied. I protein condition it once a week and leave it alone. Its growing and yeah I want it to grow much faster, but this is where its at and I am just going with the flow. No use running after stuff I won't do it consistently anyway, so I just let it continue to grow at its normal pace, I like it this way because i have no reason to get frustrated that its not "there" yet. Which is what I was doing. So I take a picture every three months and check and I notice ah huh there is a change after all its getting longer.

mona_cherie

Thanks Moroni :).

alwayzalady22

i'm still trippin' on this 12 inches of growth in one year using that ambrotose complex! :lachen:

how long do you have to take it before you see results? the capsules are by no means cheap, about $44.00 for 120, and you're supposed to take 4 a day, so this is really only a 30 day supply :perplexed

before i go and drop big bucks on this stuff, can someone tell me about their experience with it please?

mingming3

Hi Everybody,

Sorry for responding so late but I've been very busy. In answer to your question. I buy my wheatgrass fresh from the Creative Health Institute in
Florida because it is ocean grown. Meaning that they use seawater to
grow their wheatgrass which has all of the 92 minerals and enzymes that
our bodies don't receive here in the land of excess and depleted unfertile
soil. Between waiting for my shipments I go to Whole Foods and get
there wheatgrass until I receive my ocean grown shipments. I hope that
helps! GBU All! and have a nice day!!!!

SilverSurfer

I am a slow grower. It seems I get an inch every 3 months. What has helped me in the past grow it faster was taking hair vitamins. Thanks for this thread cause before, I thought I was the only one.:perplexed

Amour

I am so glad that you started this thread. There needs to be a slow growers support thread.

ITA

minimal heat
sew in weaves
texturizing

I have seen more growth in 7 months than I have in 2 years. When I joined this site and until 7 months ago my hair length was the same, in the last 7 months I have seen my hair take a 360 degree turn for the better. I now feel as though I am in the race to get long hair now - before it was just like I was here to watch everyone else's hair.

NYLegalNewbie

I tried that wheatgrass...:nono:

Not something that I can continue to help boost hair growth. I felt nauseous and the taste remained in my mouth for hours. Not to mention, it gave me headaches.

Ah well...guess it's just regular vitamins and good ol' exercise for me :grin:

xstacy2

I just wash once a week.
Scurl spray
Bun
I notice that less is better. I only brush back in place when it gets messy.
I tie it down with a silk scarf so it does not get messed up.