Childhood thickness to adult BLAH...

crazydaze911

Im getting frustrated! as a child i had super thick BIG hair all the time. Even after i started relaxing, it would still be big if i didnt blow dry it. Then as a teenager, i started relaxing more regularly and going to the salon.

Fast forward a bunch of years - im now in my late twenties, been transitioning for 2 1/2 years and my hair has STILL NOT REGAINED its thickness. Did i DREAM this thickness up? did it never really exist?

Has my hair changed with age? was it always thin but i never realized b/c it was so dry? has conditioning my hair made it TOO manageable?

Anyone else on here have super thick hair as a child, relaxed, and now that they are going back to natural, its just not the same?

The first pic is me at around 7, the second pic is me at 14, i dont really have a current pic b/c my hair is mostly curly so its not a good comparison. and when i do wear it straight i do the BKT so its not really MY hair texture. And before you say anything, its not the BKT cuz i've been transitioning for 2 1/2 years with this problem and i've only been BKTing for the last year (3xs in over a year).

TIA for your thoughts and opinions!

Attachments

• kc_black_dress_with_stars.jpg
    kc_black_dress_with_stars.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 112
  • bday_14.jpg
    bday_14.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 111

LongCurlyLocks

I don't think you dreamed it. I used to have big hair too-till I put a relaxer in it! Big nono! So I am doing the same thing, hoping, praying that my hair gets its thickness and lenght back. I guess we just gotta work at it.:ohwell:

anon123

My guess is that everyone's hair was thicker (as in denser) as a child. If you have the same number of follicles all your life (can someone confirm that this is true?), when your head is smaller, those follicles will be closer together resulting in denser hair.

msa

I think what you're not realizing is that hair texture changes over time, some places I've read said up to 7 times over our lifetimes. The hair you had as a 5 year old is not going to be the same as the hair you have as a teenager and then later on as a grown woman. Most of that is hormones, but I think a big part of it is diet as well.

Also, your hair being well moisturized may be part of it as well. I know I feel like my hair was "bigger" back in the day but it was also drier. It fluffed up like a tumbleweed. Now, it's well behaved and not an undefined bush.

msa

My guess is that everyone's hair was thicker (as in denser) as a child. If you have the same number of follicles all your life (can someone confirm that this is true?), when your head is smaller, those follicles will be closer together resulting in denser hair.

That's a good point as well. I think unless the follicles are permanently damaged then that makes sense.

It's also the same when people lament over the fact that they were WL at age 5. That same amount of hair would probably be SL or APL on them now depending on their height as an adult.

I too use to have thick hair.

My personal Goal now is thickness before lengh

I pop atleast 2 garlics tab's a day along with Gelatin.

I also comb witch care.

I try to keep the chemicals out of my hair - I do a texturizer for about 5-7 minutes every 8-10 weeks or so.

This has helped me :yep:

honeisos

Thanks for the responses. I guess that means i should give up hope :(

awe :( btw your hair is beautiful ..
I know my hair has changed over my life ... My hair was super think and more on the course coily side ... it's stil dense but , much finer and curly .

crazydaze911

I too use to have thick hair.

My personal Goal now is thickness before lengh

I pop atleast 2 garlics tab's a day along with Gelatin.

I also comb witch care.

I try to keep the chemicals out of my hair - I do a texturizer for about 5-7 minutes every 8-10 weeks or so.

This has helped me :yep:

I dont use chemicals - thats why its so confusing to me :wallbash:

I was taking garlic but i really need to stop - i take about 10-12 vitamins a day and its just not normal :nono: plus its expensive so i need to cut down. Im just worried b/c my sister and mother have REALLY thin hair. My mom used to relax (though i doubt her hair is anything above 3b all around), and although my sister never had to relax, her hair is also thinning. I hope it is b/c my head is bigger now (lol) and not hereditary...

prospurr4

The opposite has happened to me. My childhood hair was short, dry, broken and never reached past shoulder length. Now my hair is the longest and thickest it has EVER been. My mom just shakes her head when she sees my hair out now, because she remembers how it used to be. I credit my improved diet and hair care practices for the results that I have now.

As a child, I ate a lot of junk food and wouldn't get near a vegetable. Now, I eat much healthier, exercise regurlarly and drink plenty of water.

While growing up, my hair was natural, and I got it washed and pressed every 2 weeks. I didn't know about moisturizing or protecting my hair while I slept. Consequently, it broke constantly. Now, my texlaxed hair is almost WL.

crazydaze911

The opposite has happened to me. My childhood hair was short, dry, broken and never reached past shoulder length. Now my hair is the longest and thickest it has EVER been. My mom just shakes her head when she sees my hair out now, because she remembers how it used to be. I credit my improved diet and hair care practices for the results that I have now.

As a child, I ate a lot of junk food and wouldn't get near a vegetable. Now, I eat much healthier, exercise regurlarly and drink plenty of water.

While growing up, my hair was natural, and I got it washed and pressed every 2 weeks. I didn't know about moisturizing or protecting my hair while I slept. Consequently, it broke constantly. Now, my texlaxed hair is almost WL.

I am very jealous! lol. I try to drink alot of water - idk whats happened. as long as i have some kind of hair on my head i am trying to be grateful. At least you prove that someones hair CAN get thicker with age.

Carrie A

Perhaps your straightening methods are "better" so your hair appears thinner than when you got it pressed as a child. Maybe there has been a hormonal age related texture change as well. A combination perhaps?

Last edited:

msa

I dont use chemicals - thats why its so confusing to me :wallbash:

I was taking garlic but i really need to stop - i take about 10-12 vitamins a day and its just not normal :nono: plus its expensive so i need to cut down. Im just worried b/c my sister and mother have REALLY thin hair. My mom used to relax (though i doubt her hair is anything above 3b all around), and although my sister never had to relax, her hair is also thinning. I hope it is b/c my head is bigger now (lol) and not hereditary...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought BKT was a chemical.

Also, it may be partly hereditary since it seems that your mom and sister are suffering from thinning as well.

that_1_grrrl

I think what Mwedzi, MSA, and Carrie_A said makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't give up on trying attain thicker hair, just reassess how much thicker you can get your hair.

Oh, and also, maybe you could fake thicker hair. Like, just using a blow dryer to straighten or flat ironing on a lower heat setting.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Genetically, my hair is much thinner than it was when I was a child and looking at my fam, it;s only gonna get thinner.

Also, my head is about 4 times as big as it was when I was a kid.

crazydaze911

Perhaps your straightening methods are "better" so your hair appears thinner than when you got it pressed as a child. Maybe there has been a hormonal age related texture change as well. A combination perhaps?

Well i hardly ever straighten. when i do, and even when i was a child, i would only straighten professionally. the only thing my mom knew how to do was make a braid - lol. might be a hormonal thing like u said....:perplexed

crazydaze911

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought BKT was a chemical.

Also, it may be partly hereditary since it seems that your mom and sister are suffering from thinning as well.

BKT is a chemical the same way make-up is. you put it on and take it off (the comparison is a little too simple, but thats all i could think of - lol) and i currently do not have the treatment in my hair.

I was hoping it WASNT hereditary b/c my mom treats her hair like CRAP so i thought it was thinning from bad hair care... thanks for ur thoughts :)

crazydaze911

Genetically, my hair is much thinner than it was when I was a child and looking at my fam, it;s only gonna get thinner.

Also, my head is about 4 times as big as it was when I was a kid.

LMBO - i dont think its that serious. Seems like you and me are on the same boat when it comes to the gene pool..

msa

BKT is a chemical the same way make-up is. you put it on and take it off (the comparison is a little too simple, but thats all i could think of - lol) and i currently do not have the treatment in my hair.

I was hoping it WASNT hereditary b/c my mom treats her hair like CRAP so i thought it was thinning from bad hair care... thanks for ur thoughts :)

Well I know BKT isn't permanent, but just like make-up causes some people to break out or have other negative reactions the BKT could be contributing to your hair thinning. After all it's still a strong chemical.

It sucks if it is hereditary but that doesn't mean you can't overcome it. You just might have to be really diligent about your diet (eating protein, taking Biotin, etc. etc.) and being really gentle in your haircare.