children's hair care regime

lilchanel

children\'s hair care regime

Hi
Could someone please share with me your daughter's regime.

I have 2 daughters with natural hair. (age 5 and 6)
It's odd because one has shoulder length hair-top and sides aren't very long.....the other has long hair at the top and sides, but back is only to collar.
I'm trying to get it all to grow out evenly...

How often do you wash?
Types of grease?
Trims?
What do you tie their hair up with? I'm having a problem with them keeping a scarf on a night. (wild sleepers)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I can't braid!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Re: children\'s hair care regime

My daughter's hair is relaxed but I think you can still benefit from knowing my routine for her. Her hair is pretty even all around except the front hair line wear it is slightly shorter and thinner.

I conditioner wash daily and sometimes I do the baggie technique.
I wash once a week with Nexxus Therappe shampoo and do a deep conditioner with either LUST or cholesterol.

On a daily basis I co wash with VO5 conditioners. My fav. is fruisations. Yum

After I rinse her hair I put in Biolage leave-in tonic to help dentangle then I spray S-curl throughout the entire length of her hair.

After her hair is saturated with S-curl I add coconut oil and massage it in. I comb her hair back into one or two ponytails and secure with an elastic band.

I then use a boar bristle brush to smooth her hair into place and top off the entire hairline with mango butter and smooth in.

Afterwards I spray a little more S-curl on the length of her ponytail and add a little more coconut oil. I then put mango butter on to seal everything in. I do all this because her hair is extra dry and prone to breakage and spliting. She has had neither since I started this routine!

I let her hair air dry overnight. She sleeps on a satin pillow case with a satin bonnet on her head.

Here's a pic of her hair from last Christmas. It's a little longer now. It is flat ironed her to show length. She has come a long way!

DelightfulFlame

You can view pics of my daughter's natural hair at my site under "Clients". She's six and has this really thin, fine hair. As a baby, she had very little hair, but it's finally beginning to grow and thicken up.

I do a lot of braiding though, but if it helps to know...I learned how by practicing on her head. I currently braid her hair up for about two weeks, spraying Infusium's leave in conditioner on it every other day or so. Her scalp doesn't itch which is why I'm able to leave it up in braids for so long. When I take it down, I wash and deep condition (with a Elasta DPR-11 under a shower cap under a medium setting under a hooded dryer for about 10 minutes). Then I braid it up again. Sometimes I will plait it to give it a break from the braids. I try to trim about 1/2" every six months. Hope this helps.

Oh...I use jojoba oil to oil her scalp every so often. It is light, and very close to our natural oils. It doesn't clog the pores or weigh the hair down.

Oh...and she sleeps in a satin bonnet. It has elastic around the edges. She's a wild sleeper, but amazingly the thing stays on all night. Plus, I explained to her that if she wants long hair then she needs to wear it every night. As a result, she never forgets to put it on. If your baby won't keep one on, another alternative is to get her a satin pillowcase.

lilchanel

dontspeakdefeat, How old is your daughter? Her hair is beautiful. I have been thinking about trying the VO5 conditioners.

Thanks so much!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Thanks! She's seven. Her hair has been relaxed almost 2 years. Before relaxing her hair was short dry and breaking.

The only thing I wish is I had found this hair board before I put the chemicals in. She has beautiful hair natural and relaxed.

The VO5's make my daughter's hair very soft and her hair had a lot of body and bounce without heat.

lilchanel

[ QUOTE ]
DelightfulFlame said:
Oh...and she sleeps in a satin bonnet. It has elastic around the edges. She's a wild sleeper, but amazingly the thing stays on all night. Plus, I explained to her that if she wants long hair then she needs to wear it every night. As a result, she never forgets to put it on. If your baby won't keep one on, another alternative is to get her a satin pillowcase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww! She's so cute. I sure do wish I could braid. I practice on them from time to time.
I am going to try the bonnet...I figured it would just fall off too...
Thanks!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Lilchanel, my daughter's bonnet doesn't come off because I combine it with a satin pillow case. I do the same for myself. Works like a charm.

Remember wearing something on your head at night is key to preventing breakage.

DatJerseyDyme

WOW! Your daughter's hair is beautiful..I am definately adding her regimine to my "possible regimines" file!

lilchanel

[ QUOTE ]
DatJerseyDyme said:
WOW! Your daughter's hair is beautiful..I am definately adding her regimine to my "possible regimines" file!

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I think I am going to use that one for myself!

lilchanel

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
Remember wearing something on your head at night is key to preventing breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right! Before I started using the scarf...I noticed their hair would be soooo dry. I can get them to keep it on at least 3 times out of a week. I guess that's not too bad. With my wild sleeping babies...I am going to have to get not only a satin pillowcase, but SATIN SHEETS too....

I actually began tying their hair up at night so I wouldn't have so much to do in the morning for school.
I always thought I would have a boy and a girl...But 2 girls IS NO JOKE!!
Not to mention myself!!

AJamericanDiva

Hey, DontSpeakDefeat!

I am here trying figure out what I want to do to my daughter's hair. It's a natural 4a. Wash day is very tiring for me. I was thinking of getting the Silkener at Curve salon which is just a texturizer (website www.curvesalon.com look at before and after pics), but at starting prices of $150, I don't think so. The good thing is that at least they know what they're doing. I wouldn't want to pay a cheaper price and then have someone ruin my daughter's hair. That was my intention initially after I had been natural for a while... I wanted to have texturized hair, curls retained, just stretched. All these hairdressers claim to know what they were doing and let's just say I am now back to straight hair. The difference is that I know how to take care of it. I was thinking of taking her to my hairdresser and let her get a relaxer as well (definitely works out cheaper than the Silkener), as I'm good at taking care of hair, thanks to these hair boards. I put her hair in a afropuff once and sent her to school and she said her schoolmates (mostly caucasian school) kept squeezing her puff, which she asked them to quit doing.
They asked her if she thought it was going to fall off. She was like, "HELLO! This is my REAL hair!"
She said they asked her how come she never wears her hair down. She was like "...because my hair will be 'POUF'!"
I think wash days will be easier for me if her hair is relaxed. I think I can keep it healthy.... Do you regret relaxing your daughter's hair? Do you think you would ever transition it back to natural? I think her hair looks healthy and great. I think it's all in the care. We know not to run to the hairdresser every 6 weeks.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
DatJerseyDyme said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. It is very simple and I am getting great results from it!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
Nessa said:
Your daughters hair is beautiful,that's my hairgoal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Nessa!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

[ QUOTE ]
AJamericanDiva said:
Hey, DontSpeakDefeat!

I am here trying figure out what I want to do to my daughter's hair. It's a natural 4a. Wash day is very tiring for me. I was thinking of getting the Silkener at Curve salon which is just a texturizer (website www.curvesalon.com look at before and after pics), but at starting prices of $150, I don't think so. The good thing is that at least they know what they're doing. I wouldn't want to pay a cheaper price and then have someone ruin my daughter's hair. That was my intention initially after I had been natural for a while... I wanted to have texturized hair, curls retained, just stretched. All these hairdressers claim to know what they were doing and let's just say I am now back to straight hair. The difference is that I know how to take care of it. I was thinking of taking her to my hairdresser and let her get a relaxer as well (definitely works out cheaper than the Silkener), as I'm good at taking care of hair, thanks to these hair boards. I put her hair in a afropuff once and sent her to school and she said her schoolmates (mostly caucasian school) kept squeezing her puff, which she asked them to quit doing.
They asked her if she thought it was going to fall off. She was like, "HELLO! This is my REAL hair!"
She said they asked her how come she never wears her hair down. She was like "...because my hair will be 'POUF'!"
I think wash days will be easier for me if her hair is relaxed. I think I can keep it healthy.... Do you regret relaxing your daughter's hair? Do you think you would ever transition it back to natural? I think her hair looks healthy and great. I think it's all in the care. We know not to run to the hairdresser every 6 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, her hair is very healthy and is full of body and shine. I do not regret relaxing I just wish I new a little more about natural hair care before I did it. I would love for her to be able to wear her natural curls and waves without them frizzing up.

At the time it was the best thing for my daughter's hair. She has gained so much length.

If she wants to transition I will respect her choice but until then I will continue to relax about every 4 to 5 months. I always remind her that she is blessed to have a monther that cares for her hair in the way I do.

nita4

lilchanel, my baby is five too.

Her hair sounds just like delightful's daughter. Thin, fine 4a, grows slow. I texturized her hair because it would snap like crazy. I used textures and tones and was scared as h---, but it worked well and she is loving her ringlets.

I use diluted creme of nature shampoo and Lustersilks cholesterol. She gets a protein treatment once or twice a month. I moisturize with world of curls and seal in her moisture with a shea butter/oil mixture. This seems to work the best with her hair. I noted since I've texturized -her hair loves the protein. I make sure to follow up with a moisturizer. No heat caps this is all done in the tub and she uses a bonnet at night. Right now we are shampooing once a week.