Chili's Hair Growing Advice

Naijaqueen

Re: Chili\'s Hair Growing Advice

Blossssom said:
Okay, Chili is mixed. I believe black and Indian, and I visited a website once and if we're talking Tatiana Ali, she is two tribes of Indian... never saw she was black at the website, she just "passes" for black to get work.

This braiding might work for them, plus a whole lot of other things, but what about women who are 4a/b and coarser...? If I keep my hair up in braids 24/7, sure, it'll grow. What wouldn't?

Tatiana Ali's mom is black Panamanian, dad is East Indian from Trinidad, so she does have some black blood in her.

Blossssom

Naijaqueen said:
Tatiana Ali's mom is black Panamanian, dad is East Indian from Trinidad, so she does have some black blood in her.

Yea, some... not to discount it, but I was only quoting what I had read... I always thought she was black anyway, but Indian mixed... I was surprised too by what I read... thanks, Naija...

CatSuga

It's just protecting you hair at night.
If you don't sleep on a satin pillow or tie your hair up, this would be best.

bluediamond0829

anything is better than wrapping your hair...i did read in another forum how wrapping can thin out your ends...and just to think that maybe causing alot of the damage to my hair...and i do remember seeing the older women in my family braid up their hair before they went to bed....two big plaits to be exact...so thats understandable about braiding it up at night...

MeccaMedinah

CatSuga said:
It's just protecting your hair at night.
If you don't sleep on a satin pillow or tie your hair up, this would be best.

;) Exactly. Braids don't make your hair grow. It's all about protecting/keeping what you do have.

Amarech

I think its all about protection. My mother has hair like Chili and she did the exact same thing. My hair is quite different from hers though. I think the braiding thing works for long hair because it seems like it would be kind of tough to wrap bra strap length hair or longer. That's what I plan to do anyway when my hair gets longer. I remember my mother would braid her hair in ten long braids every night before she went to bed. Any protective style will grow your hair, but it won't give you hair like Chili! ;)

Trinity1

I braid my hair everynight since I wear the braid out style and my hair grows like a weed. I'm jamaican/indian but I dont think thats why my hair grows so fast,I agree with whomever said its because the hair is protected.

TeeTee2

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Taij said:
I think its all about protection. My mother has hair like Chili and she did the exact same thing. My hair is quite different from hers though. I think the braiding thing works for long hair because it seems like it would be kind of tough to wrap bra strap length hair or longer. That's what I plan to do anyway when my hair gets longer. I remember my mother would braid her hair in ten long braids every night before she went to bed. Any protective style will grow your hair, but it won't give you hair like Chili! ;)

Exactly, the longer your hair gets the more braiding seems like a great option for nighttime hair. It's one of the few ways to sleep with long hair without getting strangled! LOL:lol:

Cinnabuns

A frined of mine on another hair board braids her hair every night and it is tailbone length. Also I remember reading that Amel Larrieux does the same thing. :)

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I believe in this routine because braiding the hair locks in moisture. :yep: Shoot, if my hair was long enough I'd do it every night. :lol:

Cheleigh

I've been braiding my hair every night since August 1 simply because I want to minimize tangles at night and for braidouts. This, plus the plastic bag on head thing I've started this week, seems to have provided my hair with much needed moisture, which has been my main concern. The jury's still about length.

Mestiza

FlowerHair said:
Exactly, the longer your hair gets the more braiding seems like a great option for nighttime hair. It's one of the few ways to sleep with long hair without getting strangled! LOL:lol:

That's the truth! LOL!

My hair has been acting up, lately... springing the hair pins out of my hair and kicking off the scrunchies. I'm going to put it in one big, thick plait, right now.

Last edited:

Lucia

Yes I believe this really works, I braid nightly and my hair is easier to comb out and there is less breakage. Haven't you noticed that Indians who braid have longer hair then the ones who have thier hair out all the time?

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Plus it is knwn that cornrows thicken the hair and individual platts bring length. (the dermatolosist told my mom that when I was young), and I've noticed faster growth when I wear box platts/individuals.

TwistNMx

blaxalrose said:
Tatania Ali said this also in hair magazine recently, she said her grandmother (who is from Panama) said that you should braid your hair at night.
What magazine and when?