Has your man ever tried to give you hair advice?

bermudabeauty

My boytoy keeps suggesting I let my hair grow back like I had it a year ago like in my avitar. I've been rocking it short but letting it grow out. Sometimes we will be together and I see a cute short hair style and say ooh I'm gonna cut my hair like that. He's all NOOOOO! I like how beautiful and long your hair was, especially when you used to put your hair up in a ponytail. Please continue to let it grow. Guys crack me up when they try to drop hints like bombs on what they prefer their girls to look like.

Last edited:

chebaby

...Not trying to be negative or anything but isn't that a bit suspect?
yea it is. i dont think he was being sweet i think he wanted to show me that he can do hair but thats odd to me. im ten months post and my hair is usually straight and hes always surprised that i can do my own hair :drunk:. he's a show off.

ALL THE TIME!!

He always has something to say.

He has pretty good advice though (except for the Castor Oil that he brought from back home cos he thought it would be good)

He always checks for dandruff on my scalp and rubs in warm oil to help get rid of it.

He does this almost every night.:look:

He was very supportive when I decided to go natural and is even now trying to get me to locs it.

tffy2004

When I first cut my relaxed hair off and DH noticed it was getting longer he told me to cut it short again. But thats about it.

kandegirl

...Not trying to be negative or anything but isn't that a bit suspect?

I don't think so. Some men like to play in a woman's hair hence the reason they don't like weaves. When I took my braids down my EX help me detangle my hair, he looked so excited. Then he wanted to comment on why I was going to put weave in it the next when I had enough hair. His hair is natural, neck length unstrecthed by the way (kept in cornrows).

RegaLady

My DH wants me to go natural.
He doesn't like weave, so he says no weave
He doesn't like straight,long hair on me.:nono: His advice is to follow is requests!:lachen:
If he were a bit detailed, I would be scared.:look:

SexyCap

My husband suggested I stop buying so many products and just use shampoo like his sister who has curly hair (and is white).

"D"

Soliel185

I took my air-dried (6months post) hair down from a bun, and fluffed it out, then walked in the room and said "What if I just go out like this?" He says "Why don't you just let someone else do it? You're always struggling with it" I was like "I'm not struggling, I just took it down to comb it!" :lachen:

caribeandiva

Human being
Does he know how much time she spends on LHCF and on her hair? Maybe he was trying to be supportive. :look:

Ummm...when we first started dating my ex was just shocked at how fast (read:retained) it grew. Then he just kept asking me not to straighten it. He really likes it curly.
I doubt it. you're right. I think he was trying to be supportive. I thought the whole thing was cute.

He_Leads_I_follow

Well the only " Hair Advice" my fiance gives me is to stay away from boards like these:lachen:. He has some wierd conspiracy theory. He swears that women just come on hair boards to post crazy, made up concoctions, that they know will harm the hair, hoping that other women will use them so their hair can be jacked up and they will look the best and feel good about themselves.:perplexed

I have explained to him time and time again that the people on these boards are from all across the country and the world. Even if his crazy theory was remotely true, why the hell would somebody in Chicago care if my hair was jacked up in New Jersey , and how would that boost their confidence if they cant even see me:lachen:.

He also "advised" me not to be experimenting on his daughters head with this " nonsense", as he likes to call it.:lachen:

He is helpful at times though. When I used to do my own weaves (glue-in) he used to help me put the tracks in the back and when I was transitioning he would flat iron my roots in my nape and ear are cuz I burned myself a million times trying to do it. And NO this is not suspect because I had to teach him how to do these things and he actually hated doing it but helped me out anyway.
This is TOO funny. He sounds like a sweetheart though:yep:

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
my boyfriend always comments on my hair....when I was natural he thought I was struggling with it (I was) and he felt I should flat iron all the time. He did like the twist outs and the puff though.....He hated the cornrows. He said cornrows are for lesbos :lachen:. H didn't like the wash n goes. He said I looked crazy.

He likes the relaxer and now he wants my hair well coifed ALL THE TIME. He has an issue when I pull it back in one. He feels the pony is too small. Although he hates fake hair he told me I should get a phony pony when I pull my hair back or up :grin::grin:

tess1913

Yeah! Since DH is a self proclaimed cowboy, he saw me using the mega-tek on my hair. He said they sh*t doesn't work on horses, just a way to get people to spend their money. I didn't comment, because I know my new growth is crazy!!!

It may not work on his horse but it works for his woman.

Solitude

My sweetie's advice was to just "leave your hair the way it is, it looks nice." (it was just a simple bouncy SL bob). :rolleyes:

Casarela

my boyfriend is the type to try to slip comments implicitly such as Oh! youre done? (meaning are you coming out of the house with that funky flash scarf on your head) while im still doing my hair. I look at him with big eyes ...and hes like okok Sorry I was just wonderin...

its nice when your boyfriend is comprehensive and willing to help to something thats important to you such as my hair....I remember I was dating that white dude who would literally tell me babe your scalp is dry I think its tim for you to come watch tv and let me put this light oil on your scalp. ..I find that cuter than roses...maybe im crazy its me. I also had an ex who would help me do my hair.

bellebebe

My SO told me for the longest to buy the green bottle of Pantene, showed me a hard brush that looks similar to the denman to brush it through, and then told me to wrap it with a scarf. I thought he was silly till I tried it, and my curls came out super soft, I do it all the time now. His hair used to be down to his nipples and his mom's is mbl.

Well,now that I think about it, maybe I should ask him about that "stuff" his mom has lol.

song_of_serenity

My fiance ALWAYS talks about "GO NATURAL" while sticking his hands up under my straight ends to molest my roots, looking on with big saucer eyes. :perplexed:lachen:And he CLAIMS dealing with it natural wouldn't be so hard (AND HE COULD HELP!) because he used to have to help his little sister (biracial) deal with her hair. Mind you, she's in the 2s and 3s but he claims her hair was" tough at the roots" like mine. :rolleyes: Whatever.

He sadly sighs when I say I'm going to go get my hair relaxed and goes on and on about chemicals. And that I'm doing too much. I tell him to keep quiet, he shampoos and airdries naturally straight. He likes to sniff my hair when I have the MT in it. I won't dare tell him about what it's for; he had a field day with the teasing when he found out about MN :lachen:
~*Janelle~*

Muffinz05

I've been natural for 4 years now and I have 3c/4a thick hair that is pass my bra strap. I usually wear my hair in cornrows or two strand twist. My boyfriend thought that it shouldn't take more than an hour or so to do my hair. When was doing it in front of him, he would say I would of done it this and that, just getting on my nerves. So I said why don't you do it. Well five and a half hours later he finally finished, I helped him a little, and it wasn't bad at all but now he finally understands what I go through when doing my hair. He hasn't rushed or critiqued me ever since.

skipper

ALL THE TIME!!

He always has something to say.

He has pretty good advice though (except for the Castor Oil that he brought from back home cos he thought it would be good)

He always checks for dandruff on my scalp and rubs in warm oil to help get rid of it.

He does this almost every night.:look:

He was very supportive when I decided to go natural and is even now trying to get me to locs it.

that is so sweet.

Ganjababy

When I was relaxed my DH used to say (everytime-it became a ritual) that my hairdresser was robbing me because she did not relax my hair bone straight. This was even after I had explained to him repeatedly that I dont/cant relax my hair bone straight because I would then be bald.

Now that I am natural he said that he cant understand why I put so much effort in my little fro when he just washes his hair and go and if I had put that much effort in my wish to lose weight I would be more successful!!:wallbash: I gave him the evil eye and told him not to even go there:hammer::heated::heated::210::210::gunner7::gunner7: