Have you given hair advice to people who actually used it?

zzirvingj

Just wondering if anyone here has referred someone to LHCF, or given a person hair advice and they actually followed through on it?

I have talked to a couple of people about growing out hair, mentioned things like joining LHCF, etc., etc., but I don't think any of them have actually done any of the things I suggested or joined the site.

....Actually I take that back now that I think about it LOL... One person did start detangling their hair in the shower with conditioner and they said that worked well for them ;) That person had been transitioning for a year.

Would just like to hear examples of people giving hair advice to others who actually followed through with them, and what were their results like? How did it make you feel to know they listened to what you said and made some type of progress based on your advice?

ddean

My sister has seen how much my hair has progressed and has been following my advice. She washes more often, DCs with each wash, and moisturizes her hair on a regular basis. She has also become more conscious of the product ingredients, and is always asking is "such and such" a good product to use.

Most other folx I give advice to just look at me like :rolleyes:.

Traycee

I actually met a college student yesterday that asked how do I care for my hair........I gave her a simple answer what products etc..the more I answered the more questions she had ...I eventually gave her this web site info. Hope she uses it.......

My best friend has very thin neck length hair...When I first joined she was one of the most negative people about this.....She said my hair would fall out having a relaxer doing co-washes and braid-outs...Well the other night she called and asked if I could take her Friday to buy some oils and want detailed directions on how to use them...I'm so excited because I want her to have beautiful hair too!!!! Oils is a start right ????

tarheelgurl

I got a story for you.

I had been giving my mom advice about her natural 3 something hair for the past year. She gets it pressed (with an old school hot comb) and curled (with those old school curlers...I mean the ones from the 1950's) by a 70 something year old hair dresser. When she leaves the salon, her hair has sooooo much grease in it! Plus, she gets it colored and had begun to experience a lot of breakage. Actually, she has had beakage for a while now.

Anywho, I kept telling her that she needed only to wash, DC and rollerset her hair and she would get the old school curls that she so desired. Oh, by the way, her hairdresser NEVER DCs!:blush: Anyway, I always told her "ma, just tell ole girl not to press it but to put you under the dryer in rollers"
to which her reply is "nooooo, I don't know if it will work"

:wallbash::wallbash: So, after a year or so of going back and forth, this past Christmas when I went home to visit, I cornered her and told her that I was going to do her hair. "But I just got it done" she says rubbing her hand thru a dry but greasy mess of what was left of her latest visit.

"too late," I said, " I came all this way, and you are not going to look like that anymore"

Then I realized she didn't have a hooded hair dryer to which my stepdad whisks out his wallet and pulls out $100 and says....."go get whatever you need":grin:

My mom was all like :ohwell:...even he thought she needed an update!:grin:
So, after a visit to the BSS, and with all the products I brought with me, I washed, DC'd, rinsed and sealed her hair, then rolled it with setting lotion and set her under the dryer. All to her disapproval.......we fussed the entire time but it was funny to me :grin: cause I knew I was right!

After all her moans and groans, and 2 hours under the dryer (she kept getting out in a vain attempt at revolt but my threats of frizzy hair would send her back to her seat) I took the rollers out and...........VOILA!!!!! Beautiful, shiny, bouncy and greasless natural hair!!!

She was soooooo amazed........and loved it........my stepdad loved it.......I stood there with an "I told you so" grin on my face.

Here we are almost a month after that, and she is still boasting about her soft and nice her hair is!! :grin::drunk:

She finally had listened to me and finally realized I knew what I was talking about!! I felt vindicated, proud and almost like I was her mom!!

zzirvingj

I got a story for you.

I had been giving my mom advice about her natural 3 something hair for the past year. She gets it pressed (with an old school hot comb) and curled (with those old school curlers...I mean the ones from the 1950's) by a 70 something year old hair dresser. When she leaves the salon, her hair has sooooo much grease in it! Plus, she gets it colored and had begun to experience a lot of breakage. Actually, she has had beakage for a while now.

Anywho, I kept telling her that she needed only to wash, DC and rollerset her hair and she would get the old school curls that she so desired. Oh, by the way, her hairdresser NEVER DCs!:blush: Anyway, I always told her "ma, just tell ole girl not to press it but to put you under the dryer in rollers"

:wallbash::wallbash: So, after a year or so of going back and forth, this past Christmas when I went home to visit, I cornered her and told her that I was going to do her hair. "But I just got it done" she says rubbing her hand thru a dry but greasy mess of what was left of her latest visit.

"too late," I said, " I came all this way, and you are not going to look like that anymore"

Then I realized she didn't have a hooded hair dryer to which my stepdad whisks out his wallet and pulls out $100 and says....."go get whatever you need":grin:

So, after a visit to the BSS, and with all the products I brought with me, I washed, DC'd, rinsed and sealed her hair, then rolled it with setting lotion and set her under the dryer. All to her disapproval.......we fussed the entire time but it was funny to me :grin: cause I knew I was right!

After all her moans and groans, and 2 hours under the dryer (she kept getting out in a vain attempt at revolt but my threats of frizzy hair would send her back to her seat) I took the rollers out and...........VOILA!!!!! Beautiful, shiny, bouncy and greasless natural hair!!!

She was soooooo amazed........and loved it........my stepdad loved it.......I stood there with an "I told you so" grin on my face.

Here we are almost a month after that, and she is still boasting about her soft and nice her hair is!! :grin::drunk:

She finally had listened to me and finally realized I knew what I was talking about!! I felt vindicated, proud and almost like I was her mom!!

NOW YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT US ALL WISHING WE COULDA SEEN BEFORE AND AFTER PICS OF YOUR MOM!!!

WOW!!! That was SUCH a nice story!! Thanks for sharing! That is TOO FUNNY how your stepdad whipped out the $$$$ on ya'll like that, and how she fought you the entire time, but then LOVED her hair afterwards.

So...is she going to continue seeing her current hairdresser and just get her hair rollerset?? That was sooo sweet of you to do :yep: Sometimes it's the "daughter that knows best, huh?" ;)

zzirvingj

She gets it pressed (with an old school hot comb) and curled (with those old school curlers...I mean the ones from the 1950's) by a 70 something year old hair dresser.

LOL @ the 70 something year old hair dresser ( I'm not hatin though if you 70 something and still gettin your clientele on :look: ;) )...but you think she might be a little "set in her ways" when it comes to doing hair? LOL...bless both of them :lachen:

Honi

There is no board.
Yep! A good friend of mine latched onto me like a leech and was so into it that she had to write her regimen down on a calendar. Her hair was a tad longer than shoulder length.

Today she has beautiful waist length hair. :yep: She passed her info onto her mother who is natural. Her mom is very pleased with her natural hair.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Just one, my mom. Her hair was thinning and she asked me to put a thread on here asking what to do (because she knows I'm on here all the time). I did, and they suggested Jasons Thin to Thick, she's using and loving it ever since.

nakialovesshoes

Well my husband says I've never met a stranger (I'm from SC - he's from NYC so maybe it's a southern "thang"). Anyhoo, I'm always meeting people & having hair conversations. I always give them the websites (fotki, LHCF, motowngirl, if they're natural, etc.) & I even give them my phone number so that they can call me if they have any questions. The most recent...

I was in Wal-mart browsing the hair aisles - not really looking 4 anything 2 buy ( I swear) - just browsing. Well I c this white lady with 2 white children buying Pink Lotion & I couldn't help myself. I asked her had she ever used it b4. She told me that she had a biracial daughter @ home that was handicapped & she took care of her hair. She told me that she had put a relaxer n & it caused a lot of breakage & now basically she was transitioning her back 2 natural. I got so excited. I started telling her about all of the available web resources & gave her my number & everything. Good news, she put the pink lotion back & got my product recommendations. Bad news, she never called. So far I've only had 2 call backs. 1 of the call backs was from someone I work with. We've actually become hair buddies.

Then there's some more ladies that I work with. Both are my mom's age & they always come 2 me for hair advice. I just gave 1 of them 1/2 of my MN mix in hopes that it'll revive a bald patch she has. She told me that she also wants me 2 take her 2 the Indian grocery store 2 get some powders & oils. The other started using coconut oil per my recommendation & she swears it has improved the condition of her hair.

Lastly, my mom. She has the good hair/bad hair mindset & thinks that I have "good hair." However, when she came 2 my house 4 Christmas, she took home some MN mix & some oils & some moisturizer. Her nape was burnt out from a perm over 25 years ago & it won't grow any longer than an inch. She's hoping that the MN mix might help that area.

So that's my testimony. My disclaimer to the ladies that I try to help is that I'm definitely not a veteran like some of the ladies on here. BUT, if I can't answer their question myself, I have the resources to find the answers. It's a good feeling when people actually value your "hairpinion". And since I'm certified obsessed, it's a joy to share all that I'm learning. :yep:

healthynhappy

Nope. Not one single person.

I don't even offer advice anymore.

What's funny is my best friend, when I first started on this journey, said to me, "if God intended for you to have long hair, then you would have it already." She was saying this in response to my supplements and my regimen. That was about a year and a half ago.

Now, I catch her stealing glances at my hair all the time, but she will not open her mouth to compliment me or ask me questions.

I wonder about her sometimes.:perplexed

What's funny is that once I happened to mention this website that I frequent, iVillage and she must have thought that was the site where I get all of my info. I saw her secretly writing it down, instead of just asking me outright for help.:nono:

DozenRoses99

This is a great thread!!! I was interested in knowing this information, also. It is so wonderful to hear these success stories! :yep:

Sui Topi

I have a guyanese best friend...like the guyanese/portugese ones with the thick bushy curly hair and pale pale skin, and she uses oils and butters to define her curls, and she was telling me she washes once a week and its like by mid week she has to just rock pony tails because ofcourse her hair gets greasy and blah. I told her to try conditioner washes in between...that way her hair can be light, but since its not shampoo it wont be too dry. She loves it. My other best friend got on a challenge with me to not use the flat iron on her natural hair until january (this was last year sometime) and her hair is thriving. She complimented me on mine, and she even gave me ideas, when shes at home or not going somewhere important, she has in box braids..if shes going somewhere she'll just open them and have a braid out...I really need to start doing this because when I'm at home, my hands are aaaaaalways in my hair. I swear when I'm bored, I go comb my hair..and although its doing well it would do better if I cut that out.

JerriBlank

Nope. Not one single person.

I don't even offer advice anymore.

What's funny is my best friend, when I first started on this journey, said to me, "if God intended for you to have long hair, then you would have it already." She was saying this in response to my supplements and my regimen. That was about a year and a half ago.

Now, I catch her stealing glances at my hair all the time, but she will not open her mouth to compliment me or ask me questions.

I wonder about her sometimes.:perplexed

What's funny is that once I happened to mention this website that I frequent, iVillage and she must have thought that was the site where I get all of my info. I saw her secretly writing it down, instead of just asking me outright for help.:nono:

:nono::nono::nono:That's twisted...

My big sister is def using some of my advice.She is intrigued by the idea of co-washes,but she gets sick easily,so we'll have to find a way to combat that,
She has always had long,thick,lush hair,but some post-partum shedding and stress left her having to cut it.
It's growing back in nicely now and we talked about adding oil to her relaxers and cutting down on heat.I also need to get her a hooded dryer,because he hair is now dry(she never had this prblem before),so we will see how that goes.
My little sister thinks I'm obsessed,and that"white ways" will not work for me:ohwell:

glam-

That's such a nice story, Tarheelgurl. Glad you ultimately converted your mom.

I have given advice on hair care, but no one has ever taken any of it. :sad: It hurts my heart when I see these people running rattail combs through hair, flat ironing with no heat protectant or going to bed with no scarf or a cotton one :nono: But what can you do. I have noticed though that the same people are quick to ask me for tips about weaves or wigs- so :perplexed maybe its cause the actual haircare part is more work

Anyway, I kinda keep quiet now, cause I'm tired of having my suggestions dismissed.

tarheelgurl

NOW YOU KNOW YOU'VE GOT US ALL WISHING WE COULDA SEEN BEFORE AND AFTER PICS OF YOUR MOM!!!

WOW!!! That was SUCH a nice story!! Thanks for sharing! That is TOO FUNNY how your stepdad whipped out the $$$$ on ya'll like that, and how she fought you the entire time, but then LOVED her hair afterwards.

So...is she going to continue seeing her current hairdresser and just get her hair rollerset?? That was sooo sweet of you to do :yep: Sometimes it's the "daughter that knows best, huh?" ;)

She is now sold on rollersetting her hair and is even going to do it herself. I mentioned oil rinsing and ............gasp..........she said we could do it the next time I came home!:lachen:

I'm glad you enjoyed reading my story, it is a memory that I plan on keeping forever!

tarheelgurl

LOL @ the 70 something year old hair dresser ( I'm not hatin though if you 70 something and still gettin your clientele on :look: ;) )...but you think she might be a little "set in her ways" when it comes to doing hair? LOL...bless both of them :lachen:

She is so deep in her ways they will probably bury her in that same hole!:grin: But she really is a sweet lady........just from the old school. Most of her clients are in their 60's like my mom.

Evazhair

The only person to follow through is my mama. It shows too in her hair. But she will forget and slack about things. I had to threaten to take her Vatika oil back for her to start using it again. She begged me to leave it and promised that she would start back using it. Everybody else is looking for the quick long hair potion that they want. People want to forget I grew my hair out for years as a natural.

londonjakki

I've told a few people at work as many of us are having hair issues..(the work environment)lots of bald ladies..scalp showing..lots of wigs...very thin hair...so one girl in particular was interested in my reggie...she told me it was for her daughter...come to find out she was actually using the info for herself.....she is bald and has been wearing wigs for the past 3-4 years:blush:.she starting using the MN and co washing ..she told me last week that she has a little afro now:yep:....the other people I believe are using the info but not saying anything....:ohwell:..I'm not saying anything anymore..I'm just glad my hair is getting thick again and growing:yep:

londonjakki

I got a story for you.

great story....:yep:..what products did you use....?my dd has 3c..I'd like to try rollersetting her......TIA

tarheelgurl

great story....:yep:..what products did you use....?my dd has 3c..I'd like to try rollersetting her......TIA

I used CON shampoo, Nexxus Humectress to DC and again as the leave in, sealed with coconut oil and used lotta body setting lotion. It came out really nice. Good luck with your dd's hair!

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
No, I have given advice but I think it fell on deaf ears. People I know just don't want to put in the work to achieve healthier hair. They are content with the hair they have I guess.

sowhut

No, I have given advice but I think it fell on deaf ears. People I know just don't want to put in the work to achieve healthier hair. They are content with the hair they have I guess.

Same here:ohwell:.
I have been trying my damnest to help my sister but she doesnt do any of the things that i suggest.

poookie

i told my friend (who considers herself nappy, and swears by using grease and combing her natural hair with a fine toothed comb) about pre-pooing, and how sometimes i'll do it overnight to have super soft hair the next day. in the same conversation, i told her about the evils of brushing natural hair, and how to detangle in the shower.

well she tried out the tips, and called me that morning after she washed, screaming into the phone, "i'm NOT nappy! i have baby curls!!! thank you!!!!!"

now she's constantly begging me for tips here and there about how to tame her hair... i just wish she'd take me seriously when i said she should throw away the grease and the tiny combs...

mango387

MY MOMMY!!! After my Rapunzel/Bozo the Clown thread, I started wearing my hair tied up nightly. My mom saw me doing this. Recently, she told me that she was doing that because my hair was looking healthy along with the fact that she has been having a problem with breakage. Y'all she see her with her silk bonnet.
(My brother hates the bonnet, though. PEANUTHEAD:look:)

SimpleKomplexity

I got a story for you.

Lol aww! Mother/Daughter time lool (I'm sentimental SO WHAT!) lol But I wish my ma would listen :wallbash::wallbash: She's listenin a little (secretly lol) but she things she doesn't have "time" to have healthy hair lol