Has anyone gone to a white salon/stylist?

anon123

I went to an Aveda concept salon where I live. The stylist cut my hair. I'm telling you, it was one of the best hair cuts I've ever gotten. :yep: When I saw my natural hair stylist she was so impressed with how my hair looked. :yep: That woman single-handedly renewed my faith in White hair stylists, since I had one when I was a kid that jacked me up every which way. :nono: I made sure to let them know ahead of time that I am a Black woman with extremely tight coils.

Did she straighten your hair to cut it? Do elaborate? How did she cut it, like in a fro or something?

I've never been to a white stylist so am skeptical, but I would consider it, esp. if I could see their portfolio or watch them do someone who had hair similar to mine. These days, though, I'm pretty leery of salons in general.

Noir

I ONLY get my hair done at white salons. In fact I have not stepped foot in a black salon in 8 years (apart from one time which reminded as to why I stopped going in the first place)

Now I have been going to the salon every since I was tot. I was wearing weaves at 12 so I have vast exp with all types of salons and imo white/european owned salons offer the best service HANDS DOWN (in my exp.)

They are VERY professional. None of that waiting forever to get your butt into the stylists chair, then to be left for an other hour while YOUR stylists slaps some relaxer into another clients hair. Nope! None of that. With the YT salons your are in and out! They use high salon quality products and are very gentle with your hair and scalp. The salons are clean and they are not intimidating or give off a stank attitude when you have a complaint.

But most importantly (for me) They give the BEEEESSSST blowouts! What! The Dominicans have NOTHING on Yt folks when it comes to blowouts! They give your hair that SWANG but without having to rollerset your hair first and without the scorching heat on your hair. Straightening hair is ALL about technique and they have that ish on lock. Oh and trimming is no longer traumatic ordeal because they won't HACK off your hair when you only require a slight trim and they are also familiar with light dusting.

Yes. I love me some Yt salons. It was the best thing that I could have done for my nearly natural 3/4 type hair.

Last edited:

BostonMaria

In the white salons, I have literally been refused service a few times due to my hair type. When I have received service, I often had three women trying to detangle my hair... ending up with huge clumps on the floor... and then having the women give up in the middle, sending me home with a knotted mess on top of my head. They always insist they have never seen nor touched hair like mine, and said they would "pray" for me to have "better" hair.

wow that's crazy!
I believe you though. The Dominican salons I used to go to had many curly white women customers. They would tell me that white stylists refused to do their hair and that the Dominican salons would do their hair the way they wanted.

But most importantly (for me) They give the BEEEESSSST blowouts! What! The Dominicans have NOTHING on Yt folks when it comes to blowouts! They give your hair that SWANG but without having to rollerset your hair first and without the scorching heat on your hair. Straightening hair is ALL about technique and they have that ish on lock. Oh and trimming is no longer traumatic ordeal because they won't HACK off your hair when you only require a slight trim and they are also familiar with light dusting.

Wow no way! Now that I'm natural I think I'll venture out and see who's willing to take on all this hair

Last edited:

mariofmagdal

Yes I have. Generally when I travel out of town, I look for the nearest white salon, in the hotel or largest department store in the area. I usually only need a wash and set, you can't go wrong with that. Hard enough for me to deal with an AA salon at home, I certainly wouldn't do it out of town.:nono: I do my own hair majority of the time, no salons for me.

carameldiva

I got shampooed/conditioned and styled by a few when I was in Germany and they were quite good. Now I go to them for trims. Got set up too many times by scissor-happy stylists.

I go to the HairCuttery or MasterCuts. I have had a couple (Spanish) offer me relaxer services (I'm natural) turned it down. I had one Asian lady act undignified- I just told the owner- I didn't want her touching my hair anyway.

Other than that- fabulous experiences- they trim the exact amount that I want them to.

Last edited:

ladybug71

Yep I have and have had great results. My stylist now is black and she is great, but I was going to this stylist named Kristi (blonde/blue-eyes) she was great at doing relaxers, etc. She ended up moving out of state, but she knew how to relax, cut and style some black hair. I never had an issue with how she did my hair and was always happy with her services. :) I wouldn't have an issue with going to another white salon granted they know how to PROPERLY handle my hair.

morehairplease

I have always wanted to go to a one but just never got around to it. When I get my next trim/dusting, I plan on going b/c the stylist that did my texturizer gave me a cut:wallbash: not a trim/dusting.

Had an American White girl relax my hair when I went to Vidal Sasoon training school. It was the best relaxer I had at that time (1990/91). She was really informative and knew what she was doing (with the guidance of her teacher, of course).

Also, there is a salon near me which is owned by a white guy. He can blowdry the most 4zz hair mega straight! He's still going stong after 30 plus years! He can style like a demon by, I would not have him relax my hair.:nono: My hair was ruined after the place applied cheap relaxer in it.

chebaby

do white salons deep condition? or do they just quickie condition? that may be a dumb question but i've never been before and always thought they didnt leave conditioner on for a while.