Chris Rock's "Good Hair"

I love people pay who have paid for membership on LONG HAIR CARE FORUM and then try to claim hey its just hair, not big deal!:rolleyes: Let's keep it 100% yall.

If it was no big deal and hair wasn't that important you wouldn't be up in here posting in the first place. We all know good and well that loving our hair is tied to our self-esteem and that can have far reaching ramifications that permeate to performance in school.

Natural Nazi?:look: Really?:lachen:

Yea I'm thru, should have never engaged, shoulda seen it comin with that "they do it too so it okay" mess.

Last edited:
I think AA women get singled out because of the root (no pun intended) of our hair texture alterations.
Other ethnicities generally alter their hair colors and textures because of style. They prefer the aesthetic of straight hair over curly hair, or blonde over red, or whatever. For the most part, women of other ethnicities don't straighten their hair because they are ashamed of their curls, and they don't dye because they are ashamed of their natural color.
But when black women began relaxing their hair, they didn't do it simply because they preferred the look. They did it because they felt that their nappy hair was repulsive and a sign of lower breeding, and they felt that the straighter their hair was, the more beautiful they would be. It came from a place of being ashamed of who they were. And people can say that it was in the past, but I think everyone knows that alot of black women today still feel the same way about their natural texture.
I'm not saying that everyone who relaxes their hair is ashamed of their natural texture. There are more reasons to relax than that. I relax my hair, and I'm certainly not ashamed of my Nigerian self. :lachen:
But I think that a moral failing occurs when a black woman feels that she has absolutely no choice but to be relaxed or wear a weave, because she hates her natural texture so much. Like, someone started a thread asking what we would do if there were no relaxers or weaves. I asked one of my friends that question, and she said that she would either shave herself bald or die. And I know that she's not the only one in the world who feels like that, and THAT is a big problem.
You really can't compare black women's hair issues to the hair issues of other races, because there's just no comparison.
BRILLIANT eloquent and succinct:clapping: I have many friends like you, relaxed educated and proud of their heritage. Lovely post:yep:

I love people pay who have paid for membership on LONG HAIR CARE FORUM and then try to claim hey its just hair, not big deal!:rolleyes: Let's keep it 100% yall.

If it was no big deal and hair wasn't that important you wouldn't be up in here posting in the first place. We all know good and well that loving our hair is tied to our self-esteem and that can have far reaching ramifications that permeate to performance in school.

Natural Nazi?:look: Really?:lachen:

Yea I'm thru, should have never engaged, shoulda seen it comin with that "they do it too so it okay" mess.

I expected better from you than this, but your Natural Nazism came thru. Too bad.

You're cute, but your attitude stinks. I didn't disrepect you, so why did you feel the need to try w/ it me? You chose to see what you wanted. No crime in that. However, I said that people have a right to make their own choices for whatever reasons. I understand that you want people to feel good about their natural hair, but they way you're going about it is rather illogical, IMHO.

True acceptance of oneself involves tolerace towards others.

BTW, Pres Obama is NOT Black, he's biracial. LOL....

What you've described is not a moral failing but a lack of thinking critically. If someone thinks that have NO CHOICE but to relax their hair, either they are blind or lacking in common sense.

I don't think I agree. Many black women were raised with the idea that straight hair is good hair. All their female family members had relaxers, their mothers stayed with the pressing comb on the stove, they heard the comments about nappy hair and peas in the kitchen. What people are exposed to as children and adolescents tends to stick with them. So it's not so much being blind. They can see just fine, it's just that what they're seeing is some f-ed up stuff.
And then, with the lack of common sense, I don't agree with that either. Common sense tells black women that straight hair is beautiful hair. Look at all the black beauty icons, and tell me how many of them are natural. And when I say black beauty icons, I don't mean just black female stars. I mean women whose names are synonymous with beauty. I mean the Halle Berry's, the Iman's, the Tyra's. I'll wait.
Lastly, IMO, feeling that your natural hair is so disgusting that you'd rather have NO hair or NO life than live with it on your head is definitely a moral failing. If one thinks that way about her natural hair, then her sense of what is "wrong" and what is "right" is badly skewed and could use some adjusting.

Do you ladies think that this will change some people's opinions of our hair. I have friends who still believe in the bad/good hair thing but I doubt their perception will change.

I honestly think it may shock/embarass some women into rethinking the way they have always percieved their hair (SOME) I even saw a poster last night say after seeing an early screening of the film she was horrified by the demonstrations of how caustic the perm is in the film and decided to start her transition.

It will probably only change the perceptions of very few, but some is better then none, and although he's only scratching the surface, its starting the conversation.....and I look forward to that:yep:

I honestly think it may shock/embarass some women into rethinking the way they have always percieved their hair (SOME) I even saw a poster last night say after seeing an early screening of the film she was horrified by the demonstrations of how caustic the perm is in the film and decided to start her transition.

It will probably only change the perceptions of very few, but some is better then none, and although he's only scratching the surface, its starting the conversation.....and I look forward to that:yep:

Some is better than none at all.:yep:

And yes it does need to be said because if little girls are wondering why their hair is bad, that affects their self esteem. I know all those years of hearing my hair was bad definitely affected my self esteem and it gave me a complex about my hair.

I cant wait to see this film. I will be going with the ladies on the board.

HA! That was me :grin: I always knew how bad relaxers were for not just my hair but body as well but seeing it in front of me on a big screen freaked me out! Plus it made me realize that I take care of my body in so many other ways (eating well, not smoking, working out, regular visits to the doctor etc.) that slapping toxic chemicals on my head doesn't really jive with my overall health strategy.

Truth be told when I'm fully transitioned I imagine I will wear my hair straight most of the time but at least I'll be chemical free.

Do you ladies think that this will change some people's opinions of our hair. I have friends who still believe in the bad/good hair thing but I doubt their perception will change.

After seeing the film I think it's less about walking out of the theatre trying to embrace your own hair and more about realizing how the overall culture's perception of "natural" hair has really turned us into an industry that rarely benefits us.

HA! That was me :grin: I always knew how bad relaxers were for not just my hair but body as well but seeing it in front of me on a big screen freaked me out! Plus it made me realize that I take care of my body in so many other ways (eating well, not smoking, working out, regular visits to the doctor etc.) that slapping toxic chemicals on my head doesn't really jive with my overall health strategy.

Truth be told when I'm fully transitioned I imagine I will wear my hair straight most of the time but at least I'll be chemical free.

I feel you girl! My hair is straight a good 60 of the time too! Before I decided to wear it kinky more often this year was completely a straightened natural. If you ever need any tips on transitioning or any help I'm here girl;)

Last edited:
Progress is made by people making choices...their own. I'm not against discussung any topic for any reason, but I do know the difference between private and public. I also realize that I have no right to think I know better how someone else should live their life. Natural Nazis, IMHO, are no different than any other kind. People have a right to make their own choices about what they do w/ their person. I thought that was the point of Civil Rights....to do what you please about your own person.

If folks worried more about what was IN their head than what was ON it, perhaps the attitudes would change overall. I'm far more concerned about that kid in 2050 not being able to read as well as could than them going on about "good hair".

I hate this type of thinking. Progress is NOT made by people simply being able to make their own choices. Progress is made when people begin to become informed and when they begin to care about the wellbeing of others. Look at where we are because people have made decisions on "their own" without consideration or regards for others. A whole entire nation has been killed off (Native Americans) and one race has supremacy over every other race (Caucasians).

And the point of Civil Rights was not to do as we pleased. If that's what you believe, it's obvious that these history books need to be rewritten, since they are offering the "white perspective" of what the Civil Rights movement was about, which instead was equality for everyone. Big difference, and no we still don't have that today.

The most ironic thing about your statement to me is bolded. Hair is obviously an important factor for many including yourself, evidenced by the fact that you paid a membership fee to be a part of this forum. As Black people, we care about our hair and how our hair looks affects us. And that's not just something to brush under the rug. Of course I want our kids to be educated as well, but it means nothing if they feel as though they are worth less than their white counterparts.

YES, we do need to explore these reasons why hair matters so much to us because I can bet you anything that it has more to do with just a personal, private decision to relax or not to relax. Trust me baby, as a relaxed head, I know.

Last edited:
I remember seeing Milak Rock on a panel speaking on the issues facing blacks in the country I think it was last years Black in America and she said "my daughter came up to me and said she doesn't like her hair and wishes she had good hair, I told her you have beautiful hair! I always wanted a baby girl with little afro puffs" as she flipped her bsl weave hair to the side. I was like lawd:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly. I thought to myself she really doesn't get it.:nono:

I saw it last week at the Atlanta screening...wonderful, insightful, emotional...Chris did a great job. Can't wait to see it again!

Back