Chris Rock's "Good Hair"

I dont know about this one. As a man in the African American community, I'd have preferred him to make a movie on Fatherless children and the impact of such phenomena, or some serious stuff like that. Well I hope he'll take some of the money he'll get out of his movie and give it back to these children. Just a thought :)

I dont know about this one. As a man in the African American community, I'd have preferred him to make a movie on Fatherless children and the impact of such phenomena, or some serious stuff like that. Well I hope he'll take some of the money he'll get out of his movie and give it back to these children. Just a thought :)

...You're a man? *boggles over the pictures*

I really was in shock when my daughter asked me for straight blonde hair...and when I told my mom, she told me I did the same- Sweet Spirit86

I asked my mother once why i wanst brown like her wid pretty hair too!:ohwell:

I think its a good idea, been waiting for this movie seems like forever( saw a reference to it on oprah). Good for ppl to see where the hair they wear come from, how much they buy it for compared with how much these ppl sell it for.
The crap we put in our hair, to make it "better"
The way ppl view us, and our hair form the outside.

Sometimes we take it for granted but out hair( whether black ,white, indian or inidan) is a major part of our social system and how we look at or pre-judge ppl......ok stepping down off the soap box:blush:

Anyway its Chris rock so it should be funny too in the process!

I really want to see this. I hope it opens people's eyes to what we as black women go through and the troubles it causes some women who want to assimilate to the white culture. Maybe they'd get a little more respect for us seeing how our hair is good too. all hair is good in my opinion. i never thought that before this board though but this thought process is smthg that i want the world to know. all women can have long pretty hair if they just know the right tools and tips. I'm thinking I have to fly solo on this movie though bc I know my S.O. won't want to go. lol.

I'd agree with that, except if it's covering your head but is dry and breaking off with split ends I don't think so. :hide:Sorry, had to play devil's advocate.:rolleyes:

Hahaha! After I posted, I thought about situations where people have bald patches and chunks of hair missing (as I did after my dominican salon fiasco), so I guess that's true. "Good Hair" to me, should mean well-maintained hair. It's just a shame, though, because for every person who gives you that "OH, I don't know what that means,this 'good hair' of which you speak" We ALL know exactly what kind of hair they're talking about when peopld say "good hair."

So tough for our little girls, too. I finally was able to see the trailer on a non-youtube site. I don't know what i think. I saw a review that said the starlets talking about their weaves appeared self-centered and vain (white guy), but I know one thing, if I worked in the entertainment biz they would nevah touch an inch of my natural hair! I would get it insured for like, $5,000 an inch! LOL

I am aching to see this movie. Not only will it be a good laugh with Chris Rock, but an eye-opener for all those who don't know what black women go through at the hair salon and in everyday life, for that matter. :yep: I think all hair is "good hair" as long as it is healthy, IMHTGO. But, of course I know what people mean when they say, "she got that 'good hair'."

All right ya'll I'm a little nervous about this one. Be clear I am proud of my hair care journey but I think this is really opening the lid tooooooo far. I know it is common knowledge 'Sistahs are serious about their hair" But to let everyone see exactly how serious may be a little to much for some to handle. I can't stand when someone touches my hair now and questions me but Chris Rock is bringing his entire diversified audience with him??? I'm going to see it, can't wait but I'm feeling open & exposed.

Thoughts???

I agree. I will definitely be seeing it but I can just imagine my whole theater experience will be :look::lachen::perplexed :laugh: :ohwell:

You all have me laughin. A good hearty laugh that I needed. :lachen:

I think this movie will make people aware of the way hair is viewed in Black america and how White america influences it.

If you pay attention to what is being said in the trailer you will hear Nia Long make a comment somewhere along the lines of 'whiter, lighter, brighter better' or some variation of that. Ideals such as this cause our little girls to ask their mothers for blonde hair and ask their father ' how come I dont have good hair'. Hopefully this will allow black women to be more comfortable with themselves just the way God intended them to be.

Not knocking relaxers, because to each his own, but the creamy crack that people use to make themselves better is potential harmful. Pepa said in the trailer that a bad permed burned off one side of her hair. Which in turn caused the asymmetrical hairstyle. All in all seems to be very informative and eye opening.

:lachen: So you actually think it's a SECRET to the non-black community about how SERIOUS we are about our hair?! :rolleyes: Puh-leez.

Yes.

I read a couple of reviews when the movie was released at Sundance, and the writers said "OMG! I had no idea black women went through so much to have nice looking hair! I have so much respect for you ladies!".:perplexed

Trust me, they know, but they don't know.

I just watched the trailer, and I'm a little embarassed. :lol: I'm still going to see it, but...dirty laundry. Stereotypes. Ugh.

I have mixed feelings, if you couldn't tell.

I don't view it as airing dirty laundry. Personally I don't see why we think getting a perm or a weave is "dirty laundry". For me it is a process I take but not a secret I am ashamed of.

At first I was iffy but after seeing the trailer it is like he is addressing the stereotype of how America (including many black women) considers good hair. But he is adding comedy to it. I think it will be entertaining and informative.

I cant wait to see this.

I've been on a long road the last couple of years growing out my relaxer.
I like the idea of natural hair ( but even more so with BKT) :yep:

I HOPE it gets picked up by a theater in my area.

Ooh, I can't wait to see this! Of course I gotta make sure my "hurr" looks fly when I go to the theater. lol

I have mixed feelings. It's not about dirty laundry either. Even if it was U.K based, I would still feel it wasn't something to be embarrassed about. I think the perception that black women are totally weaved up 24/7 is already out there.

My issue is that from the trailer the documentary doesn't seem too balanced. I'll openly admit that I don't think good hair practices and acceptance of afro hair is the rule as opposed to the the exception right now. However, it would be nice if this documentary mentioned something about the growing movement of black women becoming more informed about how to take care of hair, happily natural women etc. I think it's a tall order to expect this film to really get black people talking about why this issue exists and how to eradicate it. It's an even bigger task for this one film to make a positive lasting impact on the black community.

Last edited:
Well from the previews (that just want to entice you to see it) u might not see all the 'serious pieces'. Chris Rock is a comedian obviously, but he might have some serious points too - he did make it a documentary for a reason - i think for his daughters. Just like i hear the movie 'funny pple' with adam sandler has more seriousness to it, even though the trailers are just the funny parts.
I'd give it a shot

I don't view it as airing dirty laundry. Personally I don't see why we think getting a perm or a weave is "dirty laundry". For me it is a process I take but not a secret I am ashamed of.

At first I was iffy but after seeing the trailer it is like he is addressing the stereotype of how America (including many black women) considers good hair. But he is adding comedy to it. I think it will be entertaining and informative.

I was more so talking about old girl putting weave on layaway. Sorry, but that's shameful.:ohwell:

I have mixed feelings. It's not about dirty laundry either. Even if it was U.K based, I would still feel it wasn't something to be embarrassed about. I think the perception that black women are totally weaved up 24/7 is already out there.

My issue is that from the trailer the documentary doesn't seem too balanced. I'll openly admit that I don't think good hair practices and acceptance of afro hair is the rule as opposed to the the exception right now. However, it would be nice if this documentary mentioned something about the growing movement of black women becoming more informed about how to take care of hair, happily natural women etc. I think it's a tall order to expect this film to really get black people talking about why this issue exists and how to eradicate it. It's an even bigger task for this one film to make a positive lasting impact on the black community.

You never show the emotional sobering part of the film in a trailer unless it's a tearjerker.

Given Rock's reasons for making the film, and it having been shown and honored at Sundance, it's hard to believe the entire film would be little more than a "Beauty Shop" re-enactment with real people.

This movie isn't to show OTHERS about what good hair is - it's to show US. If you say "good hair" to a non-black person they have no idea what you're talking about. It's like having a discussion with a white person about the light vs dark complexion divide. They'll nod politely, but they have no idea what you're really talking about.

As far as seeing it in a "mainstream" theater, I'm not worried. You really anticipate walking into a theater packed with a audience that resembles the same one that went to go see Transformers..? Something tells me that the crowd will be overwhelming brown and the theater may be half empty.

You never show the emotional sobering part of the film in a trailer unless it's a tearjerker.

Given Rock's reasons for making the film, and it having been shown and honored at Sundance, it's hard to believe the entire film would be little more than a "Beauty Shop" re-enactment with real people.

This movie isn't to show OTHERS about what good hair is - it's to show US. If you say "good hair" to a non-black person they have no idea what you're talking about. It's like having a discussion with a white person about the light vs dark complexion divide. They'll nod politely, but they have no idea what you're really talking about.

As far as seeing it in a "mainstream" theater, I'm not worried. You really anticipate walking into a theater packed with a audience that resembles the same one that went to go see Transformers..? Something tells me that the crowd will be overwhelming brown and the theater may be half empty.

Being worried about the lack of balance doesn't mean I think it will be Beauty Shop 7. I think it's possible to create a serious and thought provoking documentary about black people and their hair without any mention of women becoming more aware etc. I don't believe he would have needed to include that in order to be awarded anything at Sundance. I don't expect this doc to be 90mins of foolish and jokes at all.

This isn't Chris Rock in the latest comedy, he's attempting to explore a real issue here in a documentary format. Thus, I would think that it would be appropriate to show there is just a little more to the doc that celebs talking about weaves and Paul Mooney with a giant afro wig in the trailer. I think the balance issue wouldn't have popped into my thoughts if he'd even done something as small as given 10 secs during the voiceover to the women who go against the grain. I'm not condemning the film already and I don't think it was completely bad that he made this documentary. He is unique in that many black people will be more open to listen to his voice than others.

It's extremely clear this doc is meant to target us (or AAs specifically, I guess) as opposed to "others". Whilst I think that it will be mainly black people coming to see this film (even those not into docs, a testament to the power of CR), I don't think it will reach enough people or generate as much attention as it needs to make a real impact. It would be good if it did get discussed a length in black media since this issue seems to be swept under the rug many times.

Last edited:

I personally believe that this is not being mentioned because it's not a BIG movement yet. I mean to US Lhcfers and other ladies on hair boards, we probably make up less than 10% of the entire black female community. Of every black girl I know with "good hair" (meaning healthy) there are 20 more who still have unhealthy hair practices.

it looks like it will be real funny, but sorry ladies I have never been for fake anything and I don't like being like everyone else. If a group is doing one thing I will do the opposite. I think we should be happy with what God gave us and make the best of it. That is what makes us beautiful and different.

LOL @ Chris telling that Indian lady to run if she sees a black woman coming her way:lachen::lachen:. Cant wait to see it

Back