Christmas Stretch Club: We made it!!!!

Amarech

OK, I was waitin on Divine to post something but I just had to put it out there.

Two weeks ago I wanted to give up but for some reason I didn't! So now we are on the verge of success, December is 2 days away and I want to know:

1. How did you stick with it for so long?

2. What did you learn from this challenge?

3. When exactly are you going to perm?

1. I really don't know. Having the right type of conditioner helped a lot. Twist outs and braid outs.

2. I learned that my hair has beauty and versatility without being bone straight all the time. I learned to respect my hair even more. I also learned that I really miss straight hair!

3. Because this was a double challenge for me (no heat or perm) I have decided to perm next week and straighten my hair two weeks after that.

The most suprising thing has been the support from my boyfriend and my sisters.
My boyfriend loves my hair straight. when I explained to him my challenge at first he wasn't to happy about it. But when I told him my hair would be longer at the end of the challenge he was like "go for it"! When I was tempted to straighten it he actually told me to wait for Christmas! Can you believe it?
My sister told me "Don't do it! you've gone this long without perming,so you can wait a few more weeks"

@ Divine: are we going to have an official ending of this challenge or do people drop off one by one?

Braids, braids and more braids!

It can be done!

Last week of December or first week of January. After school is over I will be out of town for a week and I will only have time to take down my braids and relax when I get back.

1. Well from Sept. 21 til November 12 I had human hair braids in. And since then I have been wearing my hair in a bun everyday with a scarf.

2. I learned that I don't have to worry as much about my hair because I wasn't straightening it anyway.

3. I plan on doing my texturizer on the 24th of December but I'm so broke. I think I may have to wait until the 27th when I do have some money. ::sigh::

Congratulations ladies!

Buns, constant moisture(water, CW). Combing only a few times thoughout the whole challenge. I used my fingers to detangle and moved hair back into bun.

My hair dries out quick, quick, quick...

I say Dec 31st. But I got a feeling it may be much sooner(like next weekend). I am anxious to cut the damaged ends(my fault) and see how much growth I lost out on, so I can move on and keep growing the right way.

Thanks for all the updates and support! It really helped.

1) I've pretty much been in a bun most days, CW, moisturizing, no combing!! Thats really helped me not lose hair, I dont comb unless when I wash, and I dont comb my roots! I've gone longer than my current 11weeks+ but never with my hair down, usually it was braided up or in a weave.

2) I can work with my own hair at 11weeks+, it doesnt have to be in braids or weave. That I'll need to minimize chemical treatments in order for me to get to my goal.

3) So I started about Sep 21 so probably sometime between Dec 3-5, I was hoping for Dec 16, but baby sis college grad is Dec 10, gotta look tight in the pics :D

I am officially 9 weeks post. I started MSM, biotin and B5 on 9/1/05. My new growth is looser than usual, but I still don't comb it unless it's wet. Breakfree, WGO and pre treating has kept my hair tolerable. I plan to do the deed 12/21.

I learned to alternate using my wigs when I just coudn't wet my hair. I plan to continue going at least 3 months between relaxers. It really allows you to see some growth!!!

2) I can work with my own hair at 11weeks+, it doesnt have to be in braids or weave. That I'll need to minimize chemical treatments in order for me to get to my goal.

I learned this too. I think once I decided that straight hair was for me I became lazy. I started perming at 2.5 months when I really didn't need to. This challenge reminded me that I could wait a little longer to perm.

I'm counting the days, hours minutes and seconds until next monday because this new growth is c-r-a-z-y. :eek:

Taij said:
I learned this too. I think once I decided that straight hair was for me I became lazy. I started perming at 2.5 months when I really didn't need to. This challenge reminded me that I could wait a little longer to perm.

I'm counting the days, hours minutes and seconds until next monday because this new growth is c-r-a-z-y. :eek:

yeah girl now even moisturizing is a chore!! I cant even attempt to part my new growth

First of all, congrats to everyone who made it!!!!

By doing a variation of the baggie method. I found wet baggies made my hair weak. I no longer do wet baggies, but I use a satin scarf instead of a plastic bag on slightly moisturized hair. After placing my hair in a ponytail, I put some hair moisturizer on and then braid the ponytail and wrap the braid in a bun. Before putting the drawstring pony on, I cover the bun with a satin scarf. I've found this to be better on my hair. I also gives me the opportunity to change my hair up during the week without having to wash it first.

That stretching without braids is possible. Although, from here on out I'll be using braids, the new growth is thick and bushy. Also, I usually take vitamins but I havnt been consistent with them during this challenge. I've learned even without all the vitamins, your hair can still grow nicely! A valuable lesson learned!

April 2006. I belive that if I made it this far, I can stretch until my graduation in April. What a treat! I'll be receiving my degree and my hair will be a little bit longer!!

Back