Church History

kbragg

Good morning everyone! I am an admitted closet history geek:blush: and am sincerely interested in learning the History of the Christian Church. Basically, I would like to know how we got from the Apostles to the Mega Church trend we have today. How did it all come about (i.e. Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, etc.). Does anyone know of any good books or audio books on the topic. I'm looking for a more concise overview where if I want to do further research it'll point me to another resource versus a full multi volume set (like hubby has who is a full on book nerd lol:grin: I got him Spurgeon's and Luther's full sermons, 5 and 7 volume set for Christmas and everyone in his family was like:perplexed:lachen:I love my nerdy hubby! Better a passion for the things of God than the things of this world right?:yep:) Anywho, any suggestions?

PaperClip

Hi, KBragg....

You ask a great thing! LOL! That sounds like a lifelong research project! For one of my research projects, I had to take a brief, brief blush as to the formation of the "Black" church. One book I used was the following:

The Black Church in the African American Experience
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Church-African-American-Experience/dp/0822310732

by C. Eric Lincoln and Lawrence H. Mamiya (1990)

And up front, they clearly define their parameters for what/who they call the "Black Church"....