Taking care of relaxed hair : Come See Tips

tatje

Here is a summary for taking care of relaxed hair I found online: For the most part it's good, where as there are some things (in my opinion) that are left out, or could be left out.

1. Relax your hair every 6 to 8 weeks depending on your hair's needs. Do not relax your hair every time new growth appears. For one week following your relaxer, use a reconstructor instead of your regular conditioner when you wash your hair. Aphogee makes an excellent reconstructor and shampoo. After a week return to your regular shampoo and conditioner.
  2. Wash and condition your hair every 4 to 5 days and at the most once a week. Try to use shampoo and conditioner designed for dry hair. Ultra Black Hair and Tresseme for damaged hair are excellent conditioners. Rarely if ever use a towel or a blow dryer to dry your hair. Instead, to prevent damage, air dry the hair, separating it with your fingers as it dries. Or you can allow it to dry undisturbed then comb with a large tooth comb (this will keep the volume down).
  3. It is best to avoid using heat to dry your hair, however, if you prefer heat, then avoid hand held dryers. Use a hood dryer instead. With repeated usage, all hair dryers will damage and dry-out your hair, but the hood type will not damage it as quickly. The hair should be completely dry before you use a curling or flat iron on it.
  4. When using a curling iron to style your hair, do not allow the barrel cover to clamp down on your hair. Hold the barrel cover slightly open and allow the hair to move over the curling iron barrel without the tugging and pulling caused by pressure from the barrel cover. Whenever the barrel cover clamps down on your hair it creates a weak point at which breakage is inevitable.
  5. Never use hair oil on relaxed hair. Hair oil was designed for natural hair, and its usage on relaxed hair is the major reason African American hair breaks off at such an alarming rate. If your hair is well conditioned you won't need any oil at all. If you do prefer some oil, rub a small amount in the palms and spread lightly through the hair. Keep in mind excessive oil will make your hair stiff and because it cannot move naturally it will break off (especially if you do not wash it frequently). If you choose to use oil, it is best to wash it off within a few days.
  6. Use as little heat as possible with your hair as heat can only do more damage. Its ok to style your hair with a curling iron, however a rollerset is the best method with either a large or small curler depending on the size you want. If you use curlers at night be sure to tie them down to keep them from moving as you sleep. If the curlers are allowed to move as you sleep, it will weaken the roots and the hair will fall out from the roots.
  7. Alternate between cold and heated styling. If you use a curling iron one day, set your hair with rollers the next day. This will help to minimize heat damage.
  8. Although water based moisturizers are best for relaxed hair, never apply them close to the roots. If you have longer hair, leave about 4 to 6 inches of clean hair between your roots and the moisturizer. For shorter hair apply it at the ends. This will prevent the hair from becoming tangled at the roots. Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme is an excellent moisturizer. You can also try Dudley's PCA Moisture Retainer to see if it works for your hair.
  9. Drink plenty of water daily and check your hair's moisture level every day. To test your hair's moisture level, follow these simple steps:
    1. First, Gently hold some of your hair in your hand. If your hair is cool to the touch and feels silky, it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking adequate amounts of water. If your hair is warm to the touch, oily or dry like paper it is in need of cleaning, conditioning and you should increase your water intake.
    2. Second, shake your head gently. If your hair bounces and moves easily it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking enough water. If your hair does not move at all, the moisture level is very low. It is time to wash and condition your hair and increase your water intake.
    3. Third, comb your hair gently. If there is no hair on the comb or on your clothing the moisture level is good. If there is hair on the comb or on your clothing, your hair's moisture level is very low. Wash and condition your hair as soon as you get the chance and increase your water intake. You might also want to avoid using heated styling instruments for a few days.
  10. It is important to condition your hair often, however, when it is close to the time for you to get a touch up of your relaxer, the roots or your hair will be very dense and it will be difficult to properly rinse the conditioner out at the roots. Because hair will break off if conditioner is not properly rinsed away, you can do the following when your roots are very dense. Place 50% conditioner and 50% very hot water in a container and stir it until it becomes the consistency of shampoo. Once the mixture cools use it as you normally would. It will easily rinse from your roots. Do not use the diluted conditioner more than once or twice as it will not properly condition your hair. Get your touch up as soon as you get the chance and once your roots are straightened, return to using the conditioner full strength.
Tips
  • Don't use a weave unless you are quite expert at them, as this can make your hair worse.
  • Friction on a pillowcase can break off relaxed hair. Use only silk or satin pillowcases.
    • To keep your hair moist and in good shape while you sleep do this: Buy a plastic garment bag from you local dry cleaner. Cut a large oval from the bag. It should be about the length of your arm. At bedtime, place the center of the oval at the back of your hair. gently tie the two ends together over your forehead. Be sure to leave the top of your scalp uncovered so it can receive oxygen. Enjoy your sleep. When you awake your hair will be in excellent condition for your day.
  • To keep your hair very thick and full, use a very wide-tooth, seamless comb and comb hair very gently. This will prevent pulling out hair from the roots and will help to prevent stripping and breakage.
  • To moisturize hair from the inside before getting a relaxer, drink about 3 to 4 glasses of water a day for the 3 days prior to your relaxer. Your hair will be in good condition when you get the relaxer.
  • To moisturize hair from the outside before getting a relaxer, use a protein treatment about 5 to 7 days prior (Aphogee Treatment For Damaged Hair is an excellent protein treatment).
  • Educate yourself. The book Ultra Black Hair Growth (as well as other books) is an excellent resource. If you have the time and resources, taking a course about hair at a local beauty college might be right for you.
  • Believe that it is possible for you to have healthy, rich, thick, bouncy, moisturized, awesome looking, long relaxed hair. Find what works for you and never stop searching until you do.
  • If you have difficulty rinsing conditioner from your hair even when the roots are not dense or if your hair sheds more often when you use conditioner, apply the conditioner only to the length and not near the scalp.
  • Its easy to remove knots and tangles from dry hair without causing breakage. Instead of using a comb or your fingers to undo the knots, briefly run your hair under the shower or pour water on the tangled area. Wet hair untangles more easily. and if you run it under the water, the water pressure will untangle the hair out without your having to comb through it.
  • A great way to add Ultra Black Hiar moisturizer to your hair is in the shower. Combine a small amount of the moisturizer in a container with alot of water (about 1 part moisturizer to 10 parts water). Briefly wet your hair in the shower then pour the moisturizer on the ends only (ie: from about 6 inches away from the scalp all the way to the ends). Allow your hair to air dry. It will have enough moisturizer to protect it for the day and it will be shiny and full of body.

Warnings

• Only let people who are familiar with your particular kind of hair work on your hair.
  • If your hair tends to fall out when you are stressed, avoid washing it frequently during these times and use very gentle water pressure from your shower.
  • Purchase a shower head that allows you to adjust the water pressure. Only use medium or gentle water pressure when you wash your hair; this will help to prevent thinning.
  • Not all shampoos and conditioners will work with your hair type. Try different brands until you find 2 or 3 that work for you. If a particular product dries out your hair throw it away. If it makes your hair silky and bouncy then keep it!! Some really great shampoos/conditioners are Ultra Black Hair, Tresemme for damaged hair and Panteine Pro V for dry hair.
  • If you experience breakage from a particular brand or type of hair oil, discontinue using it immediately and try something new. Never use products containing mineral oil or petroleum which can weigh hair down. Choose lighter oils such as Jojoba, Meadowfoam, Extra Virgin Olive, Coconut oil, Safflower Oil, Carrot oil, Tea tree oil, Sunflower oil, Canola oil or Soybean oil.
  • Avoid hair care products containing alcohol and silicone (cones) as they may be damaging to your hair.

pmichael52172

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Every hair/type and preference is different but there's some good info. in here for everyone.

Some tips, I already do, some don't work for me and quite a few I'd like to try.

tatje

Thanks for taking the time to post this. Every hair/type and preference is different but there's some good info. in here for everyone.

Some tips, I already do, some don't work for me and quite a few I'd like to try.

NO Problem. I don't do everything that is stated either. Just a little summary for some. I just copied and pasted this from a website I saw. Thought it was good enough.

mzhotniz86

thank u thank u thank u for this!! :) i have to print this out and take with me. there is very good advice for us relaxed heads in here. some of them i know for a fact to be true i just wish i would have read this a long time ago :( :grin: thank u!

itismehmmkay

Sounds good :yep:

This one was interesting:

5. Never use hair oil on relaxed hair. Hair oil was designed for natural hair, and its usage on relaxed hair is the major reason African American hair breaks off at such an alarming rate. If your hair is well conditioned you won't need any oil at all. If you do prefer some oil, rub a small amount in the palms and spread lightly through the hair. Keep in mind excessive oil will make your hair stiff and because it cannot move naturally it will break off (especially if you do not wash it frequently). If you choose to use oil, it is best to wash it off within a few days.

And I really got this one:

9. Drink plenty of water daily and check your hair's moisture level every day. To test your hair's moisture level, follow these simple steps:
First, Gently hold some of your hair in your hand. If your hair is cool to the touch and feels silky, it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking adequate amounts of water. If your hair is warm to the touch, oily or dry like paper it is in need of cleaning, conditioning and you should increase your water intake.
Second, shake your head gently. If your hair bounces and moves easily it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking enough water. If your hair does not move at all, the moisture level is very low. It is time to wash and condition your hair and increase your water intake.
Third, comb your hair gently. If there is no hair on the comb or on your clothing the moisture level is good. If there is hair on the comb or on your clothing, your hair's moisture level is very low. Wash and condition your hair as soon as you get the chance and increase your water intake. You might also want to avoid using heated styling instruments for a few days.

KiSseS03

Thanks for posting this! I just relaxed my hair for the first time in almost 2 years so I feel like a newbie again and that was a great refresher!

The oil comment is interesting. I just put a dab in my dry hair this morning and it made my hair feel very stiff, and I was going to post about it. I think I may just leave oil to mix with conditioner.

chicacanella

What stuck out to me the most is the water tip......nourishing the inside of the body is also just as important for moisturized hair and a moisturized body too!:yep:

camosil

Thanks for the tip but I dont fully agree with the tip about hair oil drying out your hair. I believe it is only some oils that do that and also the way in which you use the oils. Presently I use African Angel coconut oil after using BB moisturizing growth lotion and it leaves my hair so soft and truly retains the moisture.
I believe if you just add oil to dry hair before moisturizing then maybe it will get the hair hard.
That's my opinion and I am sticking with it :yep:

R

Reslnt1

Thanks for the tip but I dont fully agree with the tip about hair oil drying out your hair. I believe it is only some oils that do that and also the way in which you use the oils. Presently I use African Angel coconut oil after using BB moisturizing growth lotion and it leaves my hair so soft and truly retains the moisture.
I believe if you just add oil to dry hair before moisturizing then maybe it will get the hair hard.
That's my opinion and I am sticking with it :yep:

Ohhhkkkk:huh:??????...i thought it was just something to think about not the law of the land...but i could be wrong.

that oil comment has really got me wondering :rolleyes: Is that true?

for me it's true. my relaxed hair doesn't like oil or heavy products. if i apply oil to dry or damp hair (it doesn't matter the type or the amount), the result is heavy coated hair with breakage. a good deep conditioner and a nice leave in is all i need. i know daily moisturizing and seaing with oil is the gosple preached around here but that method doesn't work for everyone. My hair retains moisture well after deep conditioning so there is no need for the extra steps. i retain my length well and my ends are nice.

Last edited:

dillard

for me that oil comment is true too. with the exception of.... castor oil.

I really liked the moisture check, I had never heard of the "cool to the touch" part, i'm always looking for ways to "test" my strands, so I really enjoyed this:
First, Gently hold some of your hair in your hand. If your hair is cool to the touch and feels silky, it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking adequate amounts of water. If your hair is warm to the touch, oily or dry like paper it is in need of cleaning, conditioning and you should increase your water intake.
Second, shake your head gently. If your hair bounces and moves easily it is clean, well conditioned and you are drinking enough water. If your hair does not move at all, the moisture level is very low. It is time to wash and condition your hair and increase your water intake.
Third, comb your hair gently. If there is no hair on the comb or on your clothing the moisture level is good. If there is hair on the comb or on your clothing, your hair's moisture level is very low. Wash and condition your hair as soon as you get the chance and increase your water intake. You might also want to avoid using heated styling instruments for a few days.