Church weddings for no believers in Christ

LondonDiva

Is anyone in the same frame of mind as me that believes that if someone doesn't believe in Christ then they have no business getting married before God just to have a church wedding. I was just talking with my work colleague about it and he said that he doesn't go to church a lot, but has to meet the vicar and attend for a few weeks to, I guess 'prove himself' before he gets married. I said why not get married in a mosque or a synangogue then, why a church, he said he's closer to a Christian that a Jew or a Muslim.

I don't get it nor do I like it. You don't see non muslims getting married in a mosque so why does the church allow it. I think some couples ride the coatails of Christianity sometimes to get what they want and that's a wedding with all the frills because it's deemed traditional. I think marriages where the couple are non believers should have a civil ceremony and not get married and take their vows before God. How can you not believe and take your vows before him but you question his exsistence. I don't believe in the Hindu Gods but you don't see me talking about it would be great to have a Hindi Ceremony.

What are other people's take on this?

MeccaMedinah

LondonDiva said:
You don't see non muslims getting married in a mosque so why does the church allow it. I think some couples ride the coatails of Christianity sometimes to get what they want and that's a wedding with all the frills because it's deemed traditional. I think marriages where the couple are non believers should have a civil ceremony and not get married and take their vows before God. How can you not believe and take your vows before him but you question his exsistence. I don't believe in the Hindu Gods but you don't see me talking about it would be great to have a Hindi Ceremony.

That's a good question. I think that there are many people out here doing things just because it is 'traditional', and just to keep up-in the church and outside of the church. I have never heard of this. And, I've never met anyone like the guy you've mentioned. But it really makes no sense to me.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Maybe they do it to appease their fiance, parents or other family members. I see where your coming from though. One's vows should match their beliefs and lifestyle.

[A little off topic: My mom goes further. She starts fuming when she looks in the Jet magazine, see a bride "overflowing" in her strapless gown, and then read that the wedding took place in a church. My mom then goes into her "Years ago that wouldn't have happened" speech.]

Last edited:

dreamgurl

If the couple are non-believers and the pastor was aware of the situation. I would think or better yet hope he or she would recommend some sort of marriage counseling from a Christian perspective. I mean, who knows, that may be a perfect opportunity for the Lord to use that pastor as a powerful vessel to lead two non-believers to Christ by way of his or her kindness and love towards all mankind whether they share the same faith or not.

I think by turning the couple away before there is any consideration of Christian counseling, one may stand the chance of causing that couple to remain lost and the pastor would be held accountable for that.

But...if the couple refuses counseling, then the pastor can refuse to marry them. Believe it or not, he or she will be held accountable for marrying a couple who are not equally yoked or who are just straight non-believers.

Even if the couple does go through counseling only for the sake of getting married in a Christian Church, then I hope the pastor has enough discernment to see beyond what their natural eyes are capable of seeing and make a wise decision.

There are a few people I have known to get married at the courthouse, outside in someone's backyard, at the beach, etc. because they didn't want to come from a hypocritical stance.

honeycomb719

LondonDiva said:
Is anyone in the same frame of mind as me that believes that if someone doesn't believe in Christ then they have no business getting married before God just to have a church wedding. I was just talking with my work colleague about it and he said that he doesn't go to church a lot, but has to meet the vicar and attend for a few weeks to, I guess 'prove himself' before he gets married. I said why not get married in a mosque or a synangogue then, why a church, he said he's closer to a Christian that a Jew or a Muslim.

I don't get it nor do I like it. You don't see non muslims getting married in a mosque so why does the church allow it. I think some couples ride the coatails of Christianity sometimes to get what they want and that's a wedding with all the frills because it's deemed traditional. I think marriages where the couple are non believers should have a civil ceremony and not get married and take their vows before God. How can you not believe and take your vows before him but you question his exsistence. I don't believe in the Hindu Gods but you don't see me talking about it would be great to have a Hindi Ceremony.

I agree hold-heartedly. I never understood that either. Why get married in a church which is symbolic of being before GOD, and you dont believe?

BlkHoneyLuv2U

I personally fault the pastors who preform the ceremony. My pastor will not marry anyone that is not a faithful member. He even goes a bit further and have classes of some sort with them. He did this for a couple who were in their late fourties and had been in the church for over ten years. He believes that marriage is not to be taken lightly as do I.

sithembile

My church will no marry couples who are not born again believers.Even if one of the two are saved, they still will not marry them. God doesn't like it, so yes, I can see why it would bother you.

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I got married in a registration office, and had no desire to marry in a church, however, everyone thinks we should renew our vows in Church.

x

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
CharUK said:
I got married in a registration office, and had no desire to marry in a church, however, everyone thinks we should renew our vows in Church.

x
I think as long as you're married, you're fine. In the Bible, it doesn't say "You shall marry in a church" so I wouldn't worry about those people telling you to renew your vows if you've already made that vow to each other! :)

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
church is supposed to be a holy place
marriage is a holy union where 3 become one
if you dont belive you should not get married in a church

Nyambura

surfer girl
dreamgurl said:
If the couple are non-believers and the pastor was aware of the situation. I would think or better yet hope he or she would recommend some sort of marriage counseling from a Christian perspective. I mean, who knows, that may be a perfect opportunity for the Lord to use that pastor as a powerful vessel to lead two non-believers to Christ by way of his or her kindness and love towards all mankind whether they share the same faith or not.

I think by turning the couple away before there is any consideration of Christian counseling, one may stand the chance of causing that couple to remain lost and the pastor would be held accountable for that.

Yep. :yep: