clairol luminize? is it safe?

poookie

clairol luminize -- is this as damaging as permanent colors? i want something that can lighten my natural hair color about a shade or two, then henna on top of it for REALLY red hair.

i want to get it in clear-- has anyone had success with this?

I don't know all the logistics so take this with a grain of salt. My bff has gotten her hair luminized several times (a really pretty red color) and she experienced absolutely no damage. She is a natchal and her beautician would apply the color for her. She loved it!

clairol luminize -- is this as damaging as permanent colors? i want something that can lighten my natural hair color about a shade or two, then henna on top of it for REALLY red hair.

I used this product ....many many moons ago.. My hair was beautiful....but then it continued to lighten from the sun thru the end of summer without another application and of course I didn't know the hair practices that I do now, but my hair was literally like straw. Things could have changed with this product seeing that it was such a long time ago, but do your research first before applying.

RZ~

I used this product ....many many moons ago.. My hair was beautiful....but then it continued to lighten from the sun thru the end of summer without another application and of course I didn't know the hair practices that I do now, but my hair was literally like straw. Things could have changed with this product seeing that it was such a long time ago, but do your research first before applying.

RZ~

sheesh! i don't know if i want my hair to keep on getting lighter... thanks for the warning!

but then again... maybe that will make my henna result look more dramatic...

and my hair's 10,000x healthier thanks to what i've learned here...

right now i just don't know.

THANK YOU, LADIES, FOR ALL OF YOUR REPLIES!!

That's what I use - I have used it for the past 8 or 9 years now, never had a problem with it. It lightens your natural hair to it's full potential. I use clear.

That's what I use - I have used it for the past 8 or 9 years now, never had a problem with it. It lightens your natural hair to it's full potential. I use clear.

wow, i love your color!

when you first used it in clear, what color was your hair after the first application?

did it get lighter because of the sun?

either way, i think i'm sold!

wow, i love your color!

when you first used it in clear, what color was your hair after the first application?

did it get lighter because of the sun?

either way, i think i'm sold!

My original hair color is a very dark brown. When I first started using it years and years ago - it didn't lighten up that much on the the first application but there was a noticeable difference, I think I did about three applications (not all at once) but every 6 weeks to the whole head to get to the lightness I was trying to achieve. Then the sun would do the rest as the years went by. My hair is about 3 shades of blonde, which I like the variations and I get plenty of compliments expecially on sunny days - it really shines. So now, to maintain all I do is touch up my roots about every 6-8 weeks, I get lazy sometime. But I have had no problems with it at all. The luminizer is not as harsh a dye. Although if you are stretching and air-drying it's important to keep your hair moisturized - root to end. I hope this helps.

P.S. I'm not endorsing this product, but simply stating how it has been effective on my hair and my personal experience with it.

*Googles Clairol luminize*I lke the idea of it lightening gradually.....my hair is starting off hella dark so we'll see what happens....

I'm lazy, I just posted this in another thread today about going blond so I'm copying and pasting...

I used Clairol Luminizer about a month and 1/2 or so ago. My last relaxer touch-up date was mid April. I really liked the results an have to this day experienced no damage (some dryness though.) About 4 inches of my ends had a permanent black dye so those areas only had a very slight reddish tint but the rest was sort of a honey-red. And I had "hot roots" because I didn't do thorough research first but I was planning on putting a honey brown rinse over it anyway and that cooled things down a lot. It left me hair VERY shiny too.

I will definitely use it again in the future, but I need to stretch for a while so that I can relax or texlax touchup without going over the luminized parts. I usually wear curly sets anyway.

Does anyone know if if it would be safe to relax over this? My guess is no. I'm going the better safe than sorry route since my retention has been good this year, but has anyone done it before? I've done research and I can't find anything on it.

Okay. I'm doing this!:yep: I really like the way its gentle/ gradual and only lifts one level at a time...I've seen nothing but rave reviews, I'm gonna go for it:grin:

NIN4eva said:
I'm lazy, I just posted this in another thread today about going blond so I'm copying and pasting...

I used Clairol Luminizer about a month and 1/2 or so ago. My last relaxer touch-up date was mid April. I really liked the results an have to this day experienced no damage (some dryness though.)
Thanks so much for posting your experience here. I've never put permanent color so I have a few questions:

How did you apply it?

How long did you leave it on?

Do you have to use heat?

When you do follow up applications do you reapply to your whole head or just the newgrowth? especially if your hair hasn't reached the desired color yet?

About 4 inches of my ends had a permanent black dye so those areas only had a very slight reddish tint but the rest was sort of a honey-red. And I had "hot roots" because I didn't do thorough research first but I was planning on putting a honey brown rinse over it anyway and that cooled things down a lot. It left me hair VERY shiny too.
What does Hot roots mean?:look:

Thanks so much for posting your experience here. I've never put permanent color so I have a few questions:

How did you apply it?

How long did you leave it on?

Do you have to use heat?

When you do follow up applications do you reapply to your whole head or just the newgrowth? especially if your hair hasn't reached the desired color yet?

What does Hot roots mean?:look:

Before I answer I'd like to point out that I don't think I did it the best way. I think I left it on too long among other things. Here goes...

How did you apply it? Because of my inexplicable and overwhelming need to lighten my hair and lazy research, I applied it all over hoping for all over, even lightening. This did not happen. I should've applied it to my length, then to my roots at the very last couple of minutes. My roots were virgin and lightened way more the the rest of my hair and were super-bright "hot roots".

How long did you leave it on? About 15-20 min. Too long. The box only said ten. Next time I"ll do 5-10 minutes.

Do you have to use heat? No way Jose!

When you do follow up applications do you reapply to your whole head or just the newgrowth? especially if your hair hasn't reached the desired color yet? I haven't done a follow-up and I just did a Clairol Beautiful Collection Honey Brown rinse that came out too dark so I won't be anytime soon. I have some length and thickness goals I'm trying to meet. If I did I would just do the new growth for fear of damage to the length. Particularly if you heat style and/or relax. PM me if you have any more questions. ~ :)

Oh and can you let us know if you used the luminize by itself or did you use developer as well?? Do you have any pix of your hair? No developer, I'm not that brave yet. I just used what was in the kit. Sorry no pics. :(

Last edited:
Thank you sooooo much for the response:hug2: Well my entire head is virgin so do you think that means that it would take to the color faster?? I kinda like roots that are a bit lighter:scratchch

Last edited:
No prob, glad to help!

Yes, I would have a gentle rinse (something in an ashy color) on hand just in case it comes out way too bright or too red. Frankly, I didn't mind the roots either but my edges were CRAZY blond. and now that I think about it, a little dryer than usual. I didn't like that too much. But my edges and I have never agreed on anything anyway.

Would you want to lighten then henna all the time? The upkeep would be ridiculous, IMO.

^^ I know a lady who wore this look. She always went to a salon to have it done - so for her it was no different than going to a salon regularly for anything.

This is the only lighter I have ever used and I have it in several colors. I used it with the luminize developer. I have used it on and off for about two years.

First I used it for just a small section in the front where I like to wear a hump for a splash of color. Than I used it on sections through out my hair to create hi lights. I like to put rinses over it sometimes. I will be back with pictures.

I have a lot of pics. lol. My rinses take well because of the luminize although in general I usually just color the front for a punch of color.

320130133253_0_0.jpg
320130267653_0_0-1.jpg

2-vi-1.jpg
v1-vi.jpg

relaxed2-vi.jpg

red1-vi.jpg

/\ OMGeeeee!!!:thud: just GORGEOUS!!!:grin:

I am so excited and frightened at the same time lol

I just put two bottles of the clairol luminize on hold at my local BSS....I'm gonna go for it yall!

I'm gonna do an all over color

Does anyone have any DC's they recommend?

How did you apply it? Mixed up in an applicator bottle and saturate my hair with it

How long did you leave it on? about 25-45 minutes each time. I've used it 3 times so far...

Do you have to use heat? Not at all. Room temperature.

When you do follow up applications do you reapply to your whole head or just the newgrowth? especially if your hair hasn't reached the desired color yet? About every 3-4 weeks or so until I reach desired color

Oh and can you let us know if you used the luminize by itself or did you use developer as well?? Do you have any pix of your hair? The normal developer that is used with it. I've used Gold, Ash and Clear. I would like to use it one more time for my hair to pop. The pic of the color is in my profile pic.

I used some last night in the red and did not see much of a difference. :ohwell: I probably should have bought it in the clear.

Back