Clarifying Treatments

cardinalfire

Do any of you use clarifying treatments (not necessarily shampoo) before or after chemical processes or on natural hair? I use Kenra's clarifying treatment on my texturized 3c hair which I think is great. It is a combination of fruit acids that really leaves my hair squeaky clean but not dried out and makes my scalp feel good too. It also seems to restore the elasticity I lost with the relaxer.

Trouble is--the stuff is discontinued. Anyone know of any similarly effective clarifying treatments?

Kaela

I like Ion Crystal Clarifying treatment. It comes in these little purple packets and you add water to it. Its not as harsh, as a clarifying shampoo in my opinion...

soslychic

I use suave clarifying shampoo. I don't mind that it's so cheap since I only use it once every 2 weeks and make sure to do it the wash after my touch up. It is drying, but not after I followed it with creme of nature professional shampoo...it leaves your hair really light.

Aerie17

I didn't just have a chemical treatment, but used Herbal Essence Clarifying shampoo for my last wash. This was my first time using clarifying shampoo. I followed it with Nexxus Therappe and Humectress, following the directions on the bottle (for a change) and left each on for three minutes, no heat, no plastic cap. Just left them on while I showered and then rinsed out. My hair came out soft and I was able to comb right through my roots. My roots are still wonderful and it is time for my touch-up in a few days. Now mind you, I was fighting my roots prior to this treatment, so I am hooked.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
[ QUOTE ]
Kaela said:
I like Ion Crystal Clarifying treatment. It comes in these little purple packets and you add water to it. Its not as harsh, as a clarifying shampoo in my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ] I used this too. I'm not sure if I like it though. I think it worked well I could smell the metals from my water rinsing from hair (ewwwwww). And I thought we had "good" water. I think if I ever do this again I'll plait my hair up before the application because it left my hair soooooo tangly. But I guess all clarifying does that. I use clarifying conditioners vs the shampoo or ACV but I think the treatment was thorough it definitely removes EVERYTHING (metals, salts and chemicals) from your hair and requires some major conditioning afterwards.

SVT

Carrie, do you like natural stuff or are you just strictly looking for a commercial product?

I've done ACV rinses and I know of others who've used lemon juice. The only commercial clarifying product I've used is Nexxus. I forget the rest of its name though because it was a long time ago that I used it. I don't remember having any gripes about it.

Leigh

I use Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo (this is an excellent scalp shampoo). I also use Elucence Moisture Acidifying Shampoo (I absolutely love this shampoo - it works well with Mizani's moisturefuse conditioner, which I thought had lost it's spunk - I haven't tried it with other conditioners yet).

Leigh