CO WASH?????

Does co washing and pre pooing really help?

• Yes, I love it

Votes: 74 77.9%
  • Don't care for it

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No, don't see a difference

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Don't do it

Votes: 12 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tatje

:look: Hello, I'm really new here and I wanted to know what exactly is a co wash and a pre poo? How many people do it and does it really help?

navsegda

tatje said:
:look: Hello, I'm really new here and I wanted to know what exactly is a co wash and a pre poo? How many people do it and does it really help?
Hey! Welcome! I just joined last week too. :grin:

Co washing is short for conditioner washing and pre poo is short for pre shampoo. When you co wash, you wash the hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. When people pre-poo, some saturate the hair in hair mayonnaise, oils, conditioner, cholesterol etc. and let it sit for several minutes to kinda prep the hair for shampooing. Both practices leave the hair very soft and manageable.

You might also see the term CWC, which stands for condition wash condition. I actually called it "faux-washing" but after doing this without being consciously aware of the term for it, I think I will stick to this rather than just plain co washing.

pistachio

I voted "yes", despite the fact that co washing actually makes my hair worse for some reason, but pre-pooing with plain yogurt, and coconut milk does my hair WONDERS!!!

Jas123

The Star of a Story
tatje said:
Co-wash is when you wash with conditioner instead of shampoo, because shampoos can be a bit harsh...for example someone may co-wash in the middle of the week and wash w/regular shampoo on the weekend.
Pre-poo is when you put an oil (or conditooner) on your hair the night b/4 a wash or at least a few hours b/4 a wash...just think of it like a hot-oil treatment..I love pre-poos w/oils like coconut/olive/red palm oil, not so much the pre-poos
ladies please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong

tatje

Thanks ladies, does co washing or pre pooing require regular conditioner or a deep conditioner, and how many times a week is it done. Thanks a lot for the information. With everything I am learning, I feel bombarded with info.:)

navsegda

tatje said:
Thanks ladies, does co washing or pre pooing require regular conditioner or a deep conditioner, and how many times a week is it done. Thanks a lot for the information. With everything I am learning, I feel bombarded with info.:)
Girl, I know how you feel. Before I joined I read back to like page 72 of threads and ordered some Dabur Amla and Vatika oils lol.

I co wash once a week and shampoo and deep condition once a week. Others co wash everyday, every other day, or every few days and maybe only shampoo once a week. Many just use regular conditioner (Suave, V05, etc.) to co wash. I personally use Garnier Fructis Length and Strength Fortifying Cream Conditioner to co wash. As for pre pooing, I've heard of people using either regular or deep conditioners for it (if they're pre pooing the day of shampooing). Some even use leave-ins.

tatje

Does co washing and pre pooing help promote hair growth or the strength of the hair? Does anyone know how to grow out bangs faster?

navsegda

tatje said:
Does co washing and pre pooing help promote hair growth or the strength of the hair? Does anyone know how to grow out bangs faster?
Well, Garnier Length and Strength does both. I know other people who have said co washing makes their hair grow faster and stronger and others who have said it thins their hair out.

As for growing out bangs, I've never had them but maybe you could try applying some Wild Growth Oil, Doo Gro, or the like to the area of the scalp where the bangs are and see if that helps.

angelita842002

I believe that cowashing(constant moisture) has helped me retain length. My hair is alwasy moisturized and I use infusium 23 as a leave in which is protein based. So my hair stays balanced.

I prepoo with jojoba oil on my wash days so my hair isnt so stripped of moisture when i shampoo. This helps my hair stay moisturized as well.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
For me, co washing and pre-pooing gave my hair some much needed moisture from months of overprocessed under nourished hair. I normally co wash everyday in the summer with V05, but now, I do a CWC routine every other day.

preciousjewel76

tatje said:

All of the responses you've gotten are great. You may also want to check out the following thread for other information to get you acclimated to the LHCF:
A Newcomer's Guide to Starting Out:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=50291

Also check out this Fotki from dontspeakdefeat, one of the forum moderators:
http://journals.fotki.com/dontspeakdefeat/newcomer/

Welcome!:D

navsegda

B_Phlyy said:
For me, co washing and pre-pooing gave my hair some much needed moisture from months of overprocessed under nourished hair. I normally co wash everyday in the summer with V05, but now, I do a CWC routine every other day.

I just want to say that I love stalking, um, I mean browsing your fotki and looking at all your hair products! Before I came to this forum, I was looking up some stuff on Garnier Length and Strength and came across a post you made over at longhaircommunity.com and saw the link to your fotki and hair journal. I'm glad to see you over here, too! :D

FunkyDiva

I really like Co washes I do them once a week (on wednesday's) It keeps my hair moisturized and tames my new growth. I don't use heat for CW's I usually do them while in the shower

BrownSkin2

I co wash every other day during the summers and it thickened my hair. I love to prepoo as well. I mainly pre-poo with castor oil and/or conditioner. It make my hair softer.

tatje

Thank you all. Now I have a better idea to what I am planning to do with my hair. There is one more question. Is co washing with a conditioner or oil treatment because I see that some ladies are saying they use oil. So are you using oil and rinsing it out?

navsegda

tatje said:
Thank you all. Now I have a better idea to what I am planning to do with my hair. There is one more question. Is co washing with a conditioner or oil treatment because I see that some ladies are saying they use oil. So are you using oil and rinsing it out?

I saturated my hair with the Vatika oil, let it sit for about an hour, rinsed it out, used Motions Neutralizing shampoo to clarify and then lathered with Motions Lavish Conditioning Shampoo afterwards. Right now I'm deep conditioning.

preciousjewel76

tatje said:

Oils are used for pre-shampoos. You can just saturate your dry hair with oil and let it sit for an hour or so, then shampoo as normal. I've personally never tried mixing oil into my conditioner for a cowash.

gradygirl

My hair does not like cowashing but I love to do prepoos with my shea butter cholesterol treatment for about an hour before I wash. It softens my hair and helps it to detangle better.

taraglam2

My hai loves co-washes (washing with conditioner instead of shampoo) and it also loves pre-shampoo treatments. My hair responds well to both ! I got the needed moisture and makes my new growth manageable.

rdm

Co washing has helped me with my stretch. It really detangles my hair and makes the ng softer. Within the last 2 weeks, I have been cowashing at least 3-4 times a week, applying a leave in and then a sealant and putting hair in a bun.

Proudpiscean

rdm said:
Co washing has helped me with my stretch. It really detangles my hair and makes the ng softer. Within the last 2 weeks, I have been cowashing at least 3-4 times a week, applying a leave in and then a sealant and putting hair in a bun.

:yep: ITA! Been doing the same thing! My hair has been thriving doing this.

Country gal

I really love the conditioner washes on my natural hair. I did do it with relaxed but not as often. It reallys helps to moisturize my hair.

LovelyLionessa

Co washes are really nice. I will do them more frequently in the spring in summer when I wash more than once a week after excericising. For my hair, I only need to shampoo once a week, so co-washing is nice when I need to wash my hair more frequently.

After hennaing, I co-wash like mad to help get all the henna out and add softness, then I follow up with a shampoo.

I always love to pre-poo. For me, it's added conditioning treatment. When I use the right products, I can't overcondition my hair. :)

MzOptimistic

I love co washes but I mainly do them in the warmer months. I have since replaced the weekly co washes with an extra deep conditioning and I love that so I will stick with deep conditioning every 3 days not BUT cowashes are the bomb also and I just ordered 2 bottles of Dabur Vatika Coconut hair oil and 2 bottles of Alma Oil because I want to start doing pre-poo's. I heard the Vatika Coconut hair oil contains henna in it and it is suppose to make your hair stronger and reduce hair fall out/shedding so I am anxious to start pre-pooing:p

Last edited: