Co-washing 4a/z hair: yay or nay?

Co-washing 4a/z hair: yay or nay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShaniKeys

I have 4a/b hair and I'm thinking about bringing co-washing into my regimen, but I have my doubts. For people with 4 a/b hair that co-wash, what is your take on it? How do you co-wash and how many times a week?

Thank you

Last edited:

flowinlocks

Cowashing once a week in addition to doing my regular wash has helped me tremendously with retaining moisture & the overall condition of my hair, plus it helped me to stretch 12 wks. This is the longest I've EVER gone.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
it really softened my hair. i co wash every 4 days or so. personally it was hard to get into but after tweaking my regimen a bit my hair has feel much better.

spacetygrss

I cowash daily and I feel that it keeps my hair well-moisturized and helps me with growth retention.

Kay.Dee

cowashing never made a difference for me in the moisture department

the only reason why I did it was to rinse my hair if it felt like it had too much product and didn't feel like using shampoo.

I would usually cowash once or twice a week. I'm in twists (2nd week) right now and haven't done it since I put them.

FlyyGyrl

I have 4z hair and co-washing is a no-no for me. It didn't work for me relaxed or natural. I think the size of your strands also plays a role. I have fine strands.

BlkOnyx488

I wash my hair almost everday with leave Conditioners only. I don't use shampoos anymore.

In that last few months, my hair has grown 2 to 3 inchs.
I will post some pics.

I use Cantu, I can only find it at Target. When I am out I have a botter of Garnia fructese leave in.

Toy

I have 4b hair and i condition wash 2 times a week it has done wonders for my hair .

moonglowdiva

I don't co wash or air dry. I don't know if it was one or the other but I am not going to do either to my hair I lose too much hair and one or the other cause sever matting. But if you want to try co washing go for it. The knowledge that you gain from it is invaluable. Good Luck with that!!!

mscocoface

As you can see there is a range of differences when it comes to the amount of times people cowash and why they cowash.

You will have to try it for yourself and see how it works. Try or a week or two and see if you like how your hair is responding.

Best wishes to ya.

PS. I cowash and have been doing this for the last 3 years when I am not in extensions or will be redoing my extensions then I can cowash almost every single day.

Other times it just depends. But I normally do not go more than 3-5 days without cowashing.

tuffCOOKiE

It's not for me. My hair sheds tremendously. I was thinking of trying it again but doing a protein treatment every week, but im scared!

sowhut

I'm nothing without co washes lol
I am a 4 something. I co wash daily in the summer and about 4 times a week when its cooler. I love it. It helps me stretch and keeps my hair moisturized.

TrustMeLove

Depends how often. I use to CoWash everyday. Stopped that foolishness once my 4a/b napps got longer. Now I Cowash ONCE a week usually everyweekend. I am trying to go for 2 times a week. I want to DC twice a week that is why.

But, everytime I wash than I need to detangle at least with fingers in the shower. And Co-Wash w/ those cheapies raved havoc on my hair and dried it out something fierce. My hair likes dealing with leave in conditioning properties and not just water etc.. It likes oil and cream leave ins.

Less manipulation.

Nya33

4ber who lovees to co wash, i co wash all the time i can't imagine not co washing. My hair has definately improved.

PureSilver

I say yay for cowashing, i've cowashed many time and i have some serious napps but what i realise is that my hair is much softer, it grows so much faster(that could well be because of regular scalp massages while washing) and my hair stays cleaner and feels healthier.
How often i co-wash depends on what i'm doing to my hair, if i have a fresh relaxer i'll cowash 1-2X per wk when doing long stretches may be once in while like every 2-4wks.

Hope this helps.

Naturelle

Co-signing TrustMe,

Used to co-wash everyday...but now it's every few days usually on wash days (no shampoo). AS hair is longer too much trouble to co-wash daily all that manipulation is a no-no. However the moisture benefits from it are lovely:yep:

Geminigirl

I believe I am in the 4's haven't seen my natural hair in years but I like to cowash it softens adds moisture and gives me an excuse to play in my hair.

Digital Tempest

It's definitely a "yay" for me. I've been co-washing since I BC'd in June of '07. I'm a 4a with some other textures hidden throughout, but mostly 4a. I have little ringlets that people often mistake as locs or twists.

When my hair was shorter, I could co-wash everyday. It always made my hair soft and moisturized (once I learned to seal properly). I'm not going to lie. It DID take me a while to find a routine and products that were right for me, and sometimes, I still have to change it up from time to time due to things like weather and just general hair bipolar issues. I even overmoisturized once during my co-washing journey and switched back to shampooing for a while, which turned out to be a no-no, but overall, I've reaped more benefits from it than anything.

Right now, I co-wash maybe 1-2 times a week for a number of reasons. I find that my hair doesn't like to be manipulated a lot right now, especially while the weather is cooling down here. I don't have the time to co-wash everyday right now. I find that as long as I moisturize well that I don't need to co-wash as much right now. When summer rolls back around, I might start co-washing more frequently again, but who knows.

As some ladies have already mentioned, you'll have to try out different things and see what works best for your hair since no two heads are alike.

TexturedTresses

cowashing is great. i havn't done it in the winter, but in the summer time i love it. especially after a work out. it really helps you stretch, because it kinda loosens the texture of your new growth. i'm scared to do it in the winter because i don't want to get sick and cowashing, for me, usually means airdrying.

jazzyto

When I first tried cowashing my hair didnt like it an seem to be dry and brittle. I was using the V05 and tresseme. I have revisited cowashing using Ausie 3 min miracle and
HE LTR and my hair responds better with these conditioners. So i think its something you will have to try for yourself.

prospurr4

I co-wash once per week with VO5 or Suave Conditioners. If I have buildup, I add shampoo to my weekly process, but otherwise I wash with conditioners only. As a result, my hair is always soft and moisturized.

FAMUDva

I have 4a/b hair and I'm thinking about bringing co-washing into my regimen, but I have my doubts. For people with 4 a/b hair that co-wash, what is your take on it? How do you co-wash and how many times a week?

Thank you

Relaxed, natural or transitioning?

I'd probably be considered 4a, and I found when I was relaxed, my hair HATED CW. Even when I was 10-12 post. Now that I'm transitioning, I find it to be a life saver.

So, I'd say yes now that I've fallen in love with CW. But if I were asked when I was 100% relaxed I wouldn't have been so positive.

FAMUDva

I co-wash once per week with VO5 or Suave Conditioners. If I have buildup, I add shampoo to my weekly process, but otherwise I wash with conditioners only. As a result, my hair is always soft and moisturized.

This is me to a T! I'm trying to move completely away from shampoos and will start experimenting with some of the baking soda, ACV and other methods folks mention. I'm a ways from that though.

ShaniKeys

Relaxed, natural or transitioning?

I'd probably be considered 4a, and I found when I was relaxed, my hair HATED CW. Even when I was 10-12 post. Now that I'm transitioning, I find it to be a life saver.

So, I'd say yes now that I've fallen in love with CW. But if I were asked when I was 100% relaxed I wouldn't have been so positive.

I've been 100% natural for two years now, I tried CW once but:nono: so I wanna know how to properly do it