CO-WASHING...HELP!

gwenedowning

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I've been reading many post about co-washing and I wanted to ask a question or two: First, how do I co-wash? do I wet my hair, condition and then rinse it out or do I use the conditioner as if it was shampoo? Also, after co-washing, do I still use a different conditioner and let it sit for what ever the recommended time is? Lastly, any good co-washing tips and/or product recommendations to use for the co-washing?

Thanks

Wanderland

Hey Gwen you should join us in the Cowash challenge! People have different preferences with cowashing and you have to find what works for you. In generally you are using the coditioner in place of shampoo. So you place it on your scalp and use the pads of your fingers to clean like poo. I personally do no put another rinse out conditioner in after cowashing but do use a rinse out as a leave in. Other put another conditioner in. It's entirely up to you.

The conditioner itself is any you want. There are many threads on good conditioners for cowashing. Suave, VO5, trader joes, herbal essence, tresemme are among the favorites.

HTH

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

AlliCat

1) (Everyone co-washes differently) First wet your hair under running water, then apply the conditioner from roots to ends (don't be stingy!). If your scalp was especially gunky then you can massage your scalp with the conditioner as if it was shampoo to help cleanse. Let the conditioner sit for a few minutes then rinse.

2) After co-washing you don't need to use another conditioner (that seems redundant to me). Just apply your moisturizer and other leave-ins as normal.

3) As for co-washing tips I would recommend you use a cheap conditioner as you might end up using a lot, especially if your hair is past your shoulders. My personal favorite is Hair One. I also had great results with V05 Champagne Kiss, Suave Almond and Shea and Suave Humectant conditioners.

Last edited:

Nonie

The way *I* cowash is wet my hair, apply conditioner to hair ONLY and leave on for as long as I would normally leave it on for regular conditioning, then rinse.

If I'm in a rush, I may just apply it then rinse off.

I never massage conditioner into my scalp coz I love a product free clean scalp and believe conditioners are made to coat hair and protect the cuticle so putting in on my scalp is just inviting gunk/buildup and itches. Shampoo is the only product I apply to my scalp.

Once I CW, I don't follow with another conditioner coz that'd just be wasteful IMO since hair can only absorb so much.

Aine

When I co-wash, I apply the conditioner just like I would after shampooing. I don't focus on my scalp too much. As my hair grows, I don't like co-washing more than once a week, twice tops. If I'm co-washing more than once a week, I stay away from conditioners with silicones in them. Cones build up on my hair quickly, and my scalp hates me for it afterward. In a pinch, cone conditioners are fine but they are definitely not for me on a regular basis. Right now I'm adding grapeseed oil to my co-wash conditioner. I always follow-up with a light leave-in.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I use suave clarifying conditioner (love this stuff! Its .79 at CVS) and I use it like shampoo.

I do not follow with a regular conditioner. I just use my normal leaveins and call it a day.