Co-washing didn't work for me

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hello ladies,

I tried co-washing yesterday for the first time and I honestly HATED my hair afterwards. My hair didn't bounce or move at all after it air-dried and I normally air-dry and get a lot of bounce. I guess like I read in some previous threads that co-washing is not for everyone. :nono:

I don't know if it was the conditioner I used or what but my hair did not like it because it was so limp and dry afterwards. I shampooed again to get rid of the build-up and DC'd and my hair would barely hold a curl.

Any advice on what to do now to get it back to normal? Do I wait even longer to wash again with shampoo or what? For some reason my hair feels stripped or something.

Thanks in advance!!

Evolving78

are you relaxed? when i was relaxed i don't think my hair would have handle the coating of the conditioner. did you use with cones in it? that could have caused your hair to go limp as well because cones will cause buildup and dryness. what conditioner did you use?

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
Hi Shortdub,

Yes, I'm relaxed. I used Organics Cholesterol as conditioner. I didn't realize the effects co-washing could have on relaxed hair. When I shampooed after I was disappointed with the co-wash I used Biosilk shampoo and the Organics cholesterol again. Hope that didn't make it worse :ohwell:

Oh well, thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy!! I'll stick to my regular washes and DC's.

Thanks!

MummysGirl

I am relaxed and my hair LOVES co-washing... I cowash with a moisturising conditioner most times and once in a while mild protein (Aphogee 2 min)... I wouldn't use cholestrol as a cowash con.

My process is:
1. Wet hair and rinse out for a few minutes
2. Apply conditioner generously (helps if it's a cheapie moisturising con like herbal essences hello hydration or suave humectress) to the whole length of my hair.
3. Massage gently into my hair for a while, then rinse out.
4. Apply DC as normal... then usual rinse out, leave-in con, etc

It's worth another try... search for the summer cowashing challenge thread (link: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=349489)

HoneyDew

I cannot co-wash my hair and I cannot even overly deep condition my hair.

My hair does love shampoo, within reason, and it is fine with deep conditioning once a month or so.

It has taken me a while to realize that, but my hair stays in better conditioner when I clarifying shampoo (and in my case one for hard water), moisturizing shampoo, condition for a few min., use a good leave in, and moisturize lightly with a rich cream daily.

With that, I cannot co-wash at all or deep condition too often.

It may be the other products you are using that interfere.

I bet I could co-wash if I changed up some of the rest of the regimen.

Maybe you need to clarify and start over.

adnolej

I agree with Mummy in that cholesterol isn't a good co-washing conditioner. Its too think and heavy and as you can see, it'll weigh the hair down. I use vo5, suave, trader joes, nature's gate, etc (whatever i have on hand really) to cowash and it works out just fine. I started out with vo5 first because I got it for 89cents. But I don't DC after a cowash, I only DC after shampoo. hth

JJamiah

I started Co-Washing a few months back; I use VO5 and I am relaxed. It took me a few weeks to feel the effect of it. I'd give it another shot with a lighter Conditioner and rinse well before totally tossing the idea of co-washing out the door. IF it doesn't work, don't feel bad, different strokes for different folks. ;)

chebaby

wow, sorry to hear you dont like it. when i was relaxed i co washed all through the summer but i didnt care about bounce because i wore my hair in a wet braid or ponytail so it didnt need to move. and it kept my hair pretty moisturized.
now that im natural i co wash daily and i still love it. maybe deep conditioning overnight and rinsing it out in the morning without shampooing is more for you. it'll be like co washing but extra moisture.