Co Washing in the winter.. Yes or No?

Msstarr718

Yes, but only at night for me. I'm still not completely dry buy good enough by morning. The max I can go now is 3 days w/o washing or cwing, bec my hair starts to dry out. I love the soft, silky feel my hair gets from constant moisture. :yep:

OMG what color is that in your hair in your avatar it soooo pretty. We are about the same complextion and I think that would super hot on me. Yes im wanna copy :lachen:thats if you dont mind...:grin:

Mrs. Verde

Totally understand. It's just for me....I grew up in the south (Houston) and it was never 40 degrees for more than 1 random day, so the shock of the cold here in DC was a lot for me. Didn't mean to offend.

Current temp in Houston= 65
Current temp in DC=35

So....I guess, just for me, that's a no.
I didn't take offense at all. As they say everything ain't for everybody.

hurricane

I plan on co-washing 2x a week. I'm from the old school. I do believe that you can catch a cold from a wet head in the winter. I suppose that all you need to do is warm up the area where you wash, keep your head covered with a towel, and sit under a dryer for a bit to take out the excess wetness. I always think about baby's who have there head covered in the nursing so that they will not lose heat.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Still undecided. That is why I'm looking for products that will give me 2 to 3rd day hair.:ohwell: I C gel won't do it, so I'm off to look elsewhere.:rolleyes: Right now, it seems like I will have to to have a decent looking fro.:blush:

msa

So im thinking about co washing at night and braiding my wet hair (about 2x to 3x's a week and dc'ing once a week)and rocking a half wig all winter. Is anyone doing this because I mainly see that people co wash during the summer.

So I just wanted to know if winter co washing is a good idea?

I think cowashing at night is fine because your hair will be pretty dry by morning and your putting a wig on, so that should keep your head warm (it does for me).

The only issue I see is how many times you plan on rebraiding your hair. I personally wouldn't wet my hair and rebraid it 3x a week. When I wear wigs (which is alot) I braid my hair and leave the braids in for at least a week. You can do everything you usually do in the braids. Braiding wet hair is a lot of manipulation (especially because wet hair is weaker) so you could cause yourself a set back because of that.

My hair doesn't get tangled from leaving the braids in for a week or more and I'm a 4a/b natural.

Also, I suggest taking the combs out of your half wig because they can cause breakage, especially if you put them on when your hair is wet. I secure mine with the big bobby pins. I put the pins in horizontally (ie ear to ear) as opposed to vertically (going towards the nape) and it's really secure that way. No movement at all. If you do leave the combs in, at least take out the back one (it will jack up your nape) and lubricate the front one with castor oil.

Hope this helps!

Msstarr718

I think cowashing at night is fine because your hair will be pretty dry by morning and your putting a wig on, so that should keep your head warm (it does for me).

The only issue I see is how many times you plan on rebraiding your hair. I personally wouldn't wet my hair and rebraid it 3x a week. When I wear wigs (which is alot) I braid my hair and leave the braids in for at least a week. You can do everything you usually do in the braids. Braiding wet hair is a lot of manipulation (especially because wet hair is weaker) so you could cause yourself a set back because of that.

My hair doesn't get tangled from leaving the braids in for a week or more and I'm a 4a/b natural.

Also, I suggest taking the combs out of your half wig because they can cause breakage, especially if you put them on when your hair is wet. I secure mine with the big bobby pins. I put the pins in horizontally (ie ear to ear) as opposed to vertically (going towards the nape) and it's really secure that way. No movement at all. If you do leave the combs in, at least take out the back one (it will jack up your nape) and lubricate the front one with castor oil.

Hope this helps!

Thanks MSA for the great advice. What im gonna do is co wash maybe twice a week. After the first co wash do a wet bun then 2 to 3 days later another co wash and braid then rock my wig for the rest of the week and then keep that cycle until my 12 week stretch is done...:grin: which is the end of january..

Muffinz05

I've been co-washing for years and even throught the dead of winter and it never made me sick, a little uncomfie but not sick. Trust me, I work OUTSIDE. Whenever I co-wash around this time, I always make sure that I have enough time to sit under a hooded dryer for at least 20 mins and if you don't have time then do it at night before you go to bed.

Rain20

There was a recent study that we are more susceptible to viruses when our body temperature drops so there may be some truth to the old myth. Also some people are stuffier or may have a runny nose with colder temperatures(physiologic response to cold). Sinuses and bacteria drain down the back of the throat which can make the throat feel sore. This is not everyone, but may explain why some people can start to feel sick with cold and wet heads. Actually it can happen if you get cold and wet even in the warmer months.

NappturalWomyn

I co-wash, but not as much. I may do it about 3x a week, and then the other times I will just use a spray bottle with water and Giovanni smooth as silk mixed in...spray, rub in the Qhemet OAHB and just go.

Mortons

I did last winter but I think I will be cowashing at night and putting a silk scarf on. Walking out with wet hair in freezing weathers is not the business.

shae101s

Yep I do.

Ok so I need to just let this out..

COLD WEATHER DOES NOT MAKE YOU SICK!!! WET HAIR AND COLD WILL NOT MAKE YOU SICK!!! Phew sorry I had to shout that out because that is the biggest wives tale that ever existed. Viruses and bacteria make you sick (cold/flu). The only reason why people get sick in the winter is because a) cold air is drying and forced heat (electric heaters, radiators) are even MORE drying. When the air is dry it causes your air way passages to become dry. A dry airway passage is a breading ground for bactria. b) People are less likely to spend time outside during the winter so because people spend more time (in dry air) surrounded by other viruses are spread between people easily and quicker.

Sorry to go OT but this is such a huge misconception about cold weather and flu.

Having wet hair during the winter may be a little uncomfortable and make you feel colder but it WON'T make you sick. ;)

So glad you said it! I was about to say the same thing...I co-wash practically every other day and I am in MI, and everyone knows here it's FREEZING cold, and well as much as I co-wash daily I don't get sick or have dry hair because I moisturize for one, and secondly I ensure that my scalp is dry and I am not breathing in others bad air. lol...But yeh...it's all on how you maintain it during the co-washing process.. Still protect the hair with silk/satin scarves, still keep it well moisturized. When I co-wash, if my hair is in plaits, I co-wash then apply a leave in conditioner then seal with oil, and go about my day. :)

NikStarrr

I still do--just not as often, only because I'm one of those ppl who are always cold. Don't need any help with that! haha And I'm glad people have pointed out that being cold/cold weather alone does not make someone sick--only "germs".

The Princess

Im still co washing, but im down to once a week, however im still deep conditioner once a week. So my head is wet twice a week. I didn't change it cause of the winter. As long as my hair is covered when i go outside im good.

Tee

I do and have co-washed in the winter; I don't do it as often. I use to get sick of people saying I was going to get pneumonia or the flu doing it. I would explain the whole germs and :blah: makes you sick not wet hair.

Fastforward, I would stay freezing cold and congested walking around with wet hair. I try to keep my body warm by keep my head warm. (They didn't use to make us wear those caps for nothing as children.)

Now, I co wash at night to give my hair time to dry some over night. It's never fully dry but that beats walking around with a wet head......for me. (I never stay outside long enough to really get cold from a damp head. It's normally from my car to the building.)

Msstarr718

I do and have co-washed in the winter; I don't do it as often. I use to get sick of people saying I was going to get pneumonia or the flu doing it. I would explain the whole germs and :blah: makes you sick not wet hair.

Fastforward, I would stay freezing cold and congested walking around with wet hair. I try to keep my body warm by keep my head warm. (They didn't use to make us wear those caps for nothing as children.)

Now, I co wash at night to give my hair time to dry some over night. It's never fully dry but that beats walking around with a wet head......for me. (I never stay outside long enough to really get cold from a damp head. It's normally from my car to the building.)

Ditto!!!!!

Cinda2503

I co-wash today before I went out. I live in NJ and it;s about 33 degrees today. I've done this a couple of times before in the last few weeks. Everytime, I have done it I have had to take an aspirin later on in the day but I have allergies. I am generally oppossed to having a wet head and going outside in the cold but lately I don't care.

In the winter I do everything at night, co-wash & shower. During the summer I did everything in the morning. So, I guess it depends on you and your level of tolerance.

You can still wash your hair everyday even if its winter. If you are worried then do it at night. Personally, I do it at night.