Coarse, Dry Patch of Hair

Miss*Tress

I have a small patch of dry and frazzled hair to the back and right side of my crown ( 1/4" square in area) that tangles and breaks easily. No amount of pre-pooing, DCing, or daily moisturizing seems to help.

Here's my once a week routine:
  1. Pre-poo with amla oil or a mix of natural vegetable oils
  2. Sometimes wash with ayurvedic herbs
  3. CO wash with VO5-type conditioner
  4. DC with Queen Helene, honey, and olive oil mix
  5. Sometimes oil rinse with olive oil
  6. Apply a bit more of the cheapie conditioner, Lottabody setting lotion, and roller set
I've tried applying ORS Olive Oil Creme, Klorane, and René Furterer moisturizers daily too. I'm in France so many of the brands lauded on the board are not available here.

What could be causing this problem and how do I fix it? Please help!

Miss*Tress

I used ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo 2 or 3 times this month (which I liked) and Keracare DC which didn't do much for me even on the 99.9% of my hair that is OK. The Keracare cost a ton too. :ohwell:

Miss*Tress

I meant to edit my post to say that I'm natural - type 3a/b at the front, sides & nape, type 3c at the crown.

Esq.2B

I meant to edit my post to say that I'm natural - type 3a/b at the front, sides & nape, type 3c at the crown.

And I take it your hair isn't colored either?

First, I would say clarify.

Then, do you have any of the Aphogee 2 minute? If so, I would try some on that spot. Sounds weird with me saying just that spot but maybe you have overlooked that spot in the past for some reason and now it's not absorbing the moisture like it should. I know that your hair needs protein in order to absorb the moisture properly.

Miss*Tress

No color either, just henna & indigo from time to time. I've never seen Aphogee products in France. We have L'Oreal Kerastase, Biolage, Keracare, ORS, Motions (I think), then stuff like TCB. The Mizani line is also available here.

Esq.2B

Motions CPR Reconstructor is my go to after Aphogee.

I would say if you can't get your hands on Aphogee, then you can try the Motions REconstructor.

I'm not familiar with the other products and I won't want to stir you in the wrong direction.

But definitely do a clarifying shampoo before anything. It's possible that you have build-up that's keeping moisture out.

Miss*Tress

Thanks, Qetesh & Esq.2B.

I guess the Creamy Aloe doesn't really clarify. I'll look out for the Motions CPR. I've read about it on the board, but never thought to buy any.

Qetesh

NP.

i find for myself i dont usually need protein often. if my hair starts to feel dry or coarse i need to clarify.

i find that 1 part apple cider vinegar 3 parts distilled water softens and clarifies my hair whenever it seems to be dry (due to product buildup) I would try this b4 getting something as heavy as apogee

i use nexxus kiraplex (sp) reconstructor when i want to do protein. that or plain old household mayo as a pre poo. but this is just me, my natural hair doesn't need alot of protein added.

jrae

I had a similar problem going right across my crown. I lightly oil this area with castor oil and now the hair is soft and the scalp is not so tight there.

anahnamuslyyours

I have a small patch of dry and frazzled hair to the back and right side of my crown ( 1/4" square in area) that tangles and breaks easily. No amount of pre-pooing, DCing, or daily moisturizing seems to help.

Here's my once a week routine:
  1. Pre-poo with amla oil or a mix of natural vegetable oils
  2. Sometimes wash with ayurvedic herbs
  3. CO wash with VO5-type conditioner
  4. DC with Queen Helene, honey, and olive oil mix
  5. Sometimes oil rinse with olive oil
  6. Apply a bit more of the cheapie conditioner, Lottabody setting lotion, and roller set
I've tried applying ORS Olive Oil Creme, Klorane, and René Furterer moisturizers daily too. I'm in France so many of the brands lauded on the board are not available here.

What could be causing this problem and how do I fix it? Please help!
Have you tried putting your conditioner in your hair as if you were putting in a relaxer? You know, like in sections and maybe with an applicator brush? I started doing that, and my hair is softening up quite a bit each time. Oh, and maybe adding some coconut milk (if you can find some) to your next deep condition? I did that a while ago and it made my hair so soft and manageable....HTH

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
A dry patch that is 1/4 square inch in area isn't that big. You may just need to make sure you cover every square inch of your hair when you condition and moisturize your hair. When applying conditioner before deep conditioning, apply the conditioner in sections. Same with moisturizing, moisturize your hair in sections for more even distribution. Hope that helps.

Last edited: