Dry, Natural Hair

GraceJones

So I usually wash and DC my hair about every 3 weeks.

I'll wash with Motions lavishing shampoo, and deep condition with Design Essentials super moisturizing conditioner.

I'll moisturize with ORS lotion in the bottle every few weeks and seal with castor oil. I'll oil my scalp with a mix of castor oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Then I'll wear cornrows for the 3 weeks and slap a wig over as a protective style.

Any idea why my hair is so dry? Should I prepoo and DC more often? Any ideas for a good prepoo?

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie

I'll wash with Motions lavishing shampoo, and deep condition with Design Essentials super moisturizing conditioner.

I'll moisturize with ORS lotion in the bottle every few weeks and seal with castor oil. I'll oil my scalp with a mix of castor oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil. Then I'll wear cornrows for the 3 weeks and slap a wig over as a protective style.

Any idea why my hair is so dry? Should I prepoo and DC more often? Any ideas for a good prepoo?

you need to water your hair and scalp. Every day some type of moisture hits my strands. Steam, Mositurizer, Spritz.

faithVA

I agree with the ladies. You need more moisture. You may be able to get by with spritzing but once your hair is dry its going to need large doses of water.

My hair needs large doses of water every 3 to 4 days. Spritzing doesn't do much after day 4.

So spritz and when spritzing stops working, water rinse or wash it.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@GraceJones
I Agree with all the posts. You have to stay Hydrated Inside & Out. Consider your hair like a Plant. Your Scalp is the Dirt/Soil. (no pun intended)

It needs Nourishment, Water, Air, etc....A good Healthy Diet. You got to keep everything Balanced & Hydrated. Even Under the Wig.

I use the Netted Wig Cap. In the Winter, sometimes, a Men's Durag.

You could also try Baggying, GHE in the evenings while around the house.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
OP have you thought of using serum instead of oil? And then maybe a light cream?

I'm not too big on hair creams but I like the Shea moisture superfruit 10 in 1 frizz taming smoothie. Carols daughter black vanilla 4 in 1 combing creme is really nice. A lot of people like Oyin handmade hair dew.

Some personal fave serums:

Smooth n shine instant repair serum

Ic Fantasia hair polisher daily hair treatment

An oldie but a goodie: organix coconut milk anti-breakage serum

Cantu Shea butter serum (I think it's the super shine hair silk one)

These all make my hair feel great. All of these products you can find at Target I believe. Well I think the Shea moisture cream is at Ulta.

Sorry for any typos I am posting from my phone lol

naturalmanenyc

If I am reading this correctly and you don't put water on your hair for 3 weeks at a time, that's why it's dry.
Water moisturizes. Everything else is just to seal in the water/moisture.

My general process is wash, condition, add leave in to soaking wet hair, add oil, wrap my hair in a turbie twist or Acquis towel while I get dressed, unwrap and add styler. My hair is fine, 4a and normal porosity.

I am loving Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as a leave in. My hair holds moisture for days when I use it.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I thought leave in was the same as moisturizer? I'm taking more product recommendations

It can be, if the base of the leave-in is water.

I like to use Annabelle's Leave In Spray, Oyin Juices & Berries, or SSI Coco Creme Leave In and seal with an oil or butter.

ms.blue

I thought leave in was the same as moisturizer? I'm taking more product recommendations
Leave in:
Camille Rose Naturals moisture milk (no glycerin)
Camille Rose Naturals Fresh curls (with glycerin)
While in braids, I prefer the fresh curls because of the glycerin content (holds more moisture onto my hair)

Moisturizers:
Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive heavy cream
Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Buttercream
Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai twisting butter

I would use any of these products by themselves or mix two together and apply to my hair. The qb aohc is the heaviest while qb brbc is the lightest.

Blue_Berry

Try washing with Sulfate free shampoo. Dilute you shampoo and conditioner in an applicator bottle before using it on braided hair. Use a leave-in spray everyday or other day.

happycakes

Just a little add on..........

I wear wigs too and I do wear a wig cap. Wearing a wig cap DOES suck out the moisture, however if you don't wear a wig cap, please be sure to clean the inside of your wig weekly. I clean the inside of my wig with Lysol Wipes and I let it dry overnight.

Sweat, oil and whatnot can cause bacteria to growth inside your wigs (wigs, lacefronts etc.) and will leave you with shorter strands of hair around the top perimeter of your head.

Good luck!