COARSE hair support thread

locabouthair

I think there is a misconception about coarse hair. Most people think coarse hair is strong and resilant and I disagree. I know fine hair can be very delicate but I think coarse hair is also very delicate as well. One time my friend was braiding my hair and she said my hair cut her :lol: That's how coarse it is.:ohwell:

Keeping my hair moisturized has been a struggle for me, whether I'm relaxed or natural. Even though I am relaxed now my strands are still wiry.

I have tried Kenra MC, which is supposed to be good for coarse hair but no matter what my hair always feels dry. I have never had a conditioner make my hair feel moisturized. I see so many women say how DC makes their hair so soft and I never get that. I am starting to feel like I might as well just use shampoo and call it a day:ohwell: I do moisturize twice a day and that helps somewhat but I know that DC is where your mainly where you should get your moisture from.

And forget cowashing that does absolutely nada for me.

We all know that black hair can grow long and healthy but I am afraid that because my hair is so coarse it is making harder for me to retain length because it's such a struggle to keep it soft.

I always hear about the fine haired ladies on the board but I never hear anything about coarse hair. So I wanna hear from the coarse haired ladies. What have been doing to keep your hair moist?

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm not the only one :look:

SignatureBeauty

I agree, my Daughter has very thick coarse hair, but it is very delicate & sensitive, But some people do think it is strong, I mean her hair is just very delicate. This is a Good Thread!! even though I don't have coarse hair, I can use this for my daughter!!!

Iansan

I have coarse hair. Condition washing keeps my hair moisturized as coarse hair tends to be dry. Limiting heat and daily condition washing is what works best for me.

Blkprincess

thank you chile!! I'm a 4z very coarse resistant hair ( tenderheaded on top of that). my parents would chase me around the house when it was time to do my hair. :hide:haven't had a bone straight relaxer/perm ever. my old hairdresser used to break off rattail combs in my hair every salon visit:lachen: daily co washing is not for me either. it really is a journey learning about my hair. like some products people rave about, my hair laughs at. the only product I can't live without is Profectiv Megagrowth cream because I have a major problem with breakage/shedding. it doesn't stop it completely but I can tell the diff in reduction, I apply it daily at night. when I was experimenting with the daily cowash, I used Softee coconut oil on my roots to soften it a little. you'd think our coarse hair would be as strong as steel, but it isn't at all

locabouthair

thank you chile!! I'm a 4z very coarse resistant hair ( tenderheaded on top of that). my parents would chase me around the house when it was time to do my hair. :hide:haven't had a bone straight relaxer/perm ever. my old hairdresser used to break off rattail combs in my hair every salon visit:lachen: daily co washing is not for me either. it really is a journey learning about my hair. like some products people rave about, my hair laughs at. the only product I can't live without is Profectiv Megagrowth cream because I have a major problem with breakage/shedding. it doesn't stop it completely but I can tell the diff in reduction, I apply it daily at night. when I was experimenting with the daily cowash, I used Softee coconut oil on my roots to soften it a little. you'd think our coarse hair would be as strong as steel, but it isn't at all

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Cowashing leaves my hair more dry than before I wash it. I'm really determined to figure this out. There has to be hope for us.

It does seem like we're the minority on the board :sad:

I am accidentally texlaxed and while it does make my hair thicker, my strands are also coarser:ohwell:

I went to a new stylist and the first thing she told me when she touched my hair was , "wow your hair's coarse" :lol:

She wants me to get the super perm, the next time and although my hair is really coarse, that's a higher ph and the cuticle is more lifted. I dunno what to do.

Last edited:

aloof one

I'm subscribing to this thread.

But is there a way you can tell if you have coarse hair from looking? Can we have some pictures up? That would totally help if possible!!

Some of my hair is fine, some of it thick, some of it wirey, some of it silky and some of it cottony and well you get the point it goes on. I am positive there is some "coarse" hair in here but I just don't know which part it is. :perplexed

Iansan

What do you condition wash with? I know for me, the conditioner I use makes a big difference in the outcome. Also what do you apply and how do you style your hair after you condition wash? I'm not trying to sound like a pusher, but perfecting this technique has been a lifesaver for my hair. I am virtually breakage and shedding free.

locabouthair

What do you condition wash with? I know for me, the conditioner I use makes a big difference in the outcome. Also what do you apply and how do you style your hair after you condition wash? I'm not trying to sound like a pusher, but perfecting this technique has been a lifesaver for my hair. I am virtually breakage and shedding free.

No I don't mind at all.

I have used DOVE conditioner and nacidit olive oil rinse to co wash. My hair never felt moist.

What do you use?

I appreciate all the replies ladies. Keep em coming:yep:

Al00fone, I always like your hair:yep: I will take pictures tonight of strand of my hair.

Blkprincess

this is why I'm afraid to go natural. like I hate when I've just gotten a relaxer, and I run into my relatives, and they're like "you need a perm" when it hasn't even been 24 hours since I got one!!:angry2: or they volunteer themselves to put in my next relaxer....I'm very proficient at self-relaxing....believe me, it's not the technique, it's the hair

Iansan

No I don't mind at all.

I have used DOVE conditioner and nacidit olive oil rinse to co wash. My hair never felt moist.

What do you use?

Al00fone, I always like your hair:yep: I will take pictures tonight of strand of my hair.

I really like VO5 Champagne Kisses with silk protein. I have never tried Dove conditioner and I am not a fan of Dominican rinses, they make my hair hard and dry. After I condition wash I seal my hair with an oil (I switch up) and then apply a moisturizing leave in (usually one of the Sunsilk ones).

I also would not recommend using a Super relaxer. I do agree coarse hair is more fragile and super relaxers in the past have only led to more breakage for me.

Does your hair prefer oil based or water based moisturizers? Do you have any damage? How do you typically style your hair?

Blkprincess

Dove used to have this foaming conditioner, I loved the way my hair felt with it....and of course they don't make it anymore:wallbash:

LynnieB

I have wiry hair too. i posted a pic here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=3601367&postcount=72

actually it's not fragile at all but it is stiff, almost [SIZE=-1]bristlely (if that's even a word)[/SIZE]. it definitely needs moisture to keep it supple or i'm gonna have big problems.

sometimes it's not just the wiry composition of the hair but also the texture of the strand itself.

a strand of our hair sometimes can look like this ~~~~~~~~. it has lots of twists and bends in it ontop of the hair's coil pattern, the closer the bends the more fragile the hair and the more texture you actually feel when you rub your fingers down the shaft.

i have a few strands like ~~~~~~~ but more are like this ------~------~, not as many twisty turns, so not as many points of breakage. so even if the hair itself is wiry, it can take a bit more punishment (using the term loosely) than very very textured strands.

^^
is purely a guess - yall would have to post some strands of hair to see if there's any proof to the theory :perplexed cause i sure has heck don't know muchanuttin :grin:

Me2

Hey Ladies,
I can definitely relate. I find that when most people say they have really coarse hair it's only slightly coarse. My hair as you ladies describe yours. When I was younger my beautician used to set aside two hours just to do my hair. Anytime I go somewhere now they stylist are like your hair is so thick and coarse! Sit down so I can work on it! It can be embarassing:blush:! My cousin used to run his hand over my hair and start screaming he needed a band aid because my hair cut him. Blkprincess I know what you mean about having someone say you need a relaxer. Many of my co-workers think my hair is natural and are always asking if I'm going to perm it:perplexed. This is how coarse my hair is, I can wear my hair in an afro puff (after tucking some of the straighter ends) and it looks natural.I agree it's not the technique. After all the stylist I've been to in my lifetime somebody should have gotten it right. I've jumped on many bandwagons only to jump right back off. Deep conditioning two times a weeks really helps my hair. I alternate between CON and Suave Humectress Poo and use a recipe for Cathy Howse's Conditioner. It's still wiry unless I use a ton of heat, which I don't and I still battle keeping it moisturized (Kids Organics is my favorite right now.) Basically, I'm just doing all I can to take care of it and accepting that it will never be super sliky and bone straight but I'm ok with that because it's mine!

Blkprincess

Hey Ladies,
I can definitely relate. I find that when most people say they have really coarse hair it's only slightly coarse. My hair as you ladies describe yours. When I was younger my beautician used to set aside two hours just to do my hair. Anytime I go somewhere now they stylist are like your hair is so thick and coarse! Sit down so I can work on it! It can be embarassing:blush:! My cousin used to run his hand over my hair and start screaming he needed a band aid because my hair cut him. Blkprincess I know what you mean about having someone say you need a relaxer. Many of my co-workers think my hair is natural and are always asking if I'm going to perm it:perplexed. This is how coarse my hair is, I can wear my hair in an afro puff (after tucking some of the straighter ends) and it looks natural.I agree it's not the technique. After all the stylist I've been to in my lifetime somebody should have gotten it right. I've jumped on many bandwagons only to jump right back off. Deep conditioning two times a weeks really helps my hair. I alternate between CON and Suave Humectress Poo and use a recipe for Cathy Howse's Conditioner. It's still wiry unless I use a ton of heat, which I don't and I still battle keeping it moisturized (Kids Organics is my favorite right now.) Basically, I'm just doing all I can to take care of it and accepting that it will never be super sliky and bone straight but I'm ok with that because it's mine!

my hairdresser would relax...then blow dry....then flat iron....using that big old bumping curling iron roots first....I can hear my hair sizzling now:ohwell: and the rattail comb snapping in half:lachen:

aloof one

Yey! thank you thank yOU!
No I don't mind at all.

What do you use?

scribblescrabble2

I think there is a misconception about coarse hair. Most people think coarse hair is strong and resilant and I disagree. I know fine hair can be very delicate but I think coarse hair is also very delicate as well. One time my friend was braiding my hair and she said my hair cut her :lol: That's how coarse it is.:ohwell:

Keeping my hair moisturized has been a struggle for me, whether I'm relaxed or natural. Even though I am relaxed now my strands are still wiry.

I have tried Kenra MC, which is supposed to be good for coarse hair but no matter what my hair always feels dry. I have never had a conditioner make my hair feel moisturized. I see so many women say how DC makes their hair so soft and I never get that. I am starting to feel like I might as well just use shampoo and call it a day:ohwell: I do moisturize twice a day and that helps somewhat but I know that DC is where your mainly where you should get your moisture from.

And forget cowashing that does absolutely nada for me.

We all know that black hair can grow long and healthy but I am afraid that because my hair is so coarse it is making harder for me to retain length because it's such a struggle to keep it soft.

I always hear about the fine haired ladies on the board but I never hear anything about coarse hair. So I wanna hear from the coarse haired ladies. What have been doing to keep your hair moist?

Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm not the only one :look:

No your not :nono:. 2/3 of my hair is like brillo and 1/3 is baby fine. I am forever deep conditioning my hair, trying to make sure it doesn't snap off. Even when the coarse part of my hair is moisturized, it's never truly soft and cottony like other naturals. My hair resists absorbing water and it never truly looks wet. And it is fragile!

Awesome thread. I have SUPER coarse hair as well.

I remember when I used to get my hair pressed...took me seemingly forever to find someone that could press it properly. People see coarse hair and think it needs way more heat and extra steps...that is not the case. If anything, it needs more time because it needs more TLC.

Most of my heat damage back in the day came from a stylist using too much heat, thinking she needed to run the flat iron over the same piece of hair 4 and 5 times.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am DDTexlaxd and I have coarse hair.:ohwell: I have broken many combs and brushes and my last stylist actually got her hand stuck in my hair.:eek: I am also happy that my hair is coarse because my stupidity could have caused me to go bald so many times.:rolleyes: It is a mixed blessing at times because I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to tame it.

locabouthair

this is why I'm afraid to go natural. like I hate when I've just gotten a relaxer, and I run into my relatives, and they're like "you need a perm" when it hasn't even been 24 hours since I got one!!:angry2: or they volunteer themselves to put in my next relaxer....I'm very proficient at self-relaxing....believe me, it's not the technique, it's the hair

OMG are you my hair twin? :lol:

I was natural when I first came to this site and the coarseness was worse. My hairdresser would be like, "Why's your hair so wiry?":ohwell: It's one of the reasons I don't want to go back to natural.

Buttafly, I use water based moisturizers. Oil and grease never did anything for my hair. You got me thinking about trying cowashing again. I'll pic up some V05. I do have damaged, thin ends that i am gradually trimming off. I wear my hair in an updo 99% of the time because I'm too ashamed to wear it down due to my ends.

Meyaka, you have pretty hair:yep:

Thanks brave!

Last edited:

Sunshine0801

I am natural and have a mixture of course strands and very fine strands, which means all of my hair is delicate and needs to be treated like fine silk.

Great thread!

ETA: Daily co-washing doesn't do anything for my hair either, but DC'ing with Kenra MC and using Giovanni Direct Leave-In afterwards has worked wonders for my hair. Daily moisturizing and sealing with avocado butter leaves my hair soft and knot-free.

Last edited:

Iansan

OMG are you my hair twin? :lol:

I was natural when I first came to this site and the coarseness was worse. My hairdresser would be like, "Why's your hair so wiry?":ohwell: It's one of the reasons I don't want to go back to natural.

Buttafly, I use water based moisturizers. Oil and grease never did anything for my hair. You got me thinking about trying cowashing again. I'll pic up some V05. I do have damaged, thin ends that i am gradually trimming off. I wear my hair in an updo 99% of the time because I'm too ashamed to wear it down due to my ends.

Meyaka, you have pretty hair:yep:

Thanks brave!

My hair really didn't respond well until I cut off those dry damaged ends. I think that might be part of your problem. I know this is not popular on the board but when my hair is really dry, oiling my scalp helps. I like Surge Oil and castor oil and coconut oil blends for this.

ChanelNo5

I'm all over this thread.:grin:

You know what I could come to terms with coarse/wiry texture of my hair, it's the breakage that bothers me so much. And it seems like a relaxer only weakens it more. I'm just waiting on that miracle product that either A. Straightens the hair without actually breaking down it's structure (think brazilian keratin treatment although I don't think this will work) or B. Makes the hair extremely strong but also very elastic...*sighs*....one day the technology will come.

fluffylocks

I ALWAYS thought i had fine hair untill about two months ago :nono: Its actually coarse and i've been wanting to start a thread like this as well because i didnt think there were many other people with coarse hair.

Coarse hair has the thickest individual strands. The only way my hair is actually similar to fine hair is that it snaps easy

I have coarse hair, but medium/thin density.

So anyway, for the poster that was confused....

*Coarse hair has the thickest individual strands
*It can be brittle/fragile/snap easily
*Usually has more cuticle layers (so its resistant to chemicals)
*Is very dull/hard to shine because of all the layers
*(I read that the curlier the hair, the coarser, and that the curlier and coarser, the more the cuticles stand up, and so coarse hair is the driest, and has the most porosity problems which is also why its more brittle and fragile)
*Can be very tangly because of the cuticles

fluffylocks

My coarse hair laughs at most things also and i've had a hard time in the salons as well:ohwell:

Things that have really really worked for me are

*John Frieda clear glaze: It adds shine which alot of us need, and it REALLY softens the hair and keeps it detangled during the washing process

*Cream of nature shampoo: Really detangles and moisturizes

*Silicon Mix: One of the only conditoners that ever left my hair soft

ORS Pak: One of the only conditoenrs that ever gives my hair slip, i dont use it anymore though because it doesnt really moisturize and the john frieda glaze is working so good

Carefree: ONLY moisturizer that ever made my hair not coarse and actually silky and shiny

Pressing oil: Also the only thing that makes my hair feel smooth and silky when im wearing my hair straight....otherwise my hair would be rough and dull

Hot oil treatments with Conditoner: At first i thought my hair didnt need or like oil, but oil is one of the biggest thing coarse hair lacks....it will really make it feel much smoother and shine better and not look so dull or be tangly if you find the right way to do it......sealing with oil doesnt really do anything for me....sometimes with some oils my hair actually feels drier, but deepconditoning with oil is really good for me, or rinsing oil through my hair before conditoning.

Things that have been REALLY horrible for my coarse hair were
----
* Non-combing
*Cheap conditoners

Those make things so much more....I know there are some more things that are really bad for me but i cant think of them

Whats worked for some of you?

Last edited:

Iansan

After reading this thread, maybe my hair isn't coarse after all. I do have very thick individual strands though, but everything else does not describe my hair...

locabouthair

I'm all over this thread.:grin:

You know what I could come to terms with coarse/wiry texture of my hair, it's the breakage that bothers me so much. And it seems like a relaxer only weakens it more. I'm just waiting on that miracle product that either A. Straightens the hair without actually breaking down it's structure (think brazilian keratin treatment although I don't think this will work) or B. Makes the hair extremely strong but also very elastic...*sighs*....one day the technology will come.

see for me, I think it's the coarseness that causes my breakage because it's hard to keep the hair moist, therefore it breaks.

I ALWAYS thought i had fine hair untill about two months ago Its actually coarse and i've been wanting to start a thread like this as well because i didnt think there were many other people with coarse hair. I honestly think the coarse haired gals are in the minority.

Coarse hair has the thickest individual strands. The only way my hair is actually similar to fine hair is that it snaps easy

I have coarse hair, but medium/thin density.

So anyway, for the poster that was confused....

*Coarse hair has the thickest individual strands
*It can be brittle/fragile/snap easily
*Usually has more cuticle layers (so its resistant to chemicals) YES
*Is very dull/hard to shine because of all the layersOh boy, YES! My hair is sooooo dull. I used rinses to make it look better but I think they fade in less than a week. But I guess that's because coarse hair is reistant tochemicals, color, and conditioners
*(I read that the curlier the hair, the coarser, and that the curlier and coarser, the more the cuticles stand up, and so coarse hair is the driest, and has the most porosity problems which is also why its more brittle and fragile)
*Can be very tangly because of the cuticles My hair does get tangled some times

I use CON shampoo and it makes my hair feel so soft but after I DC it's back to feeling dry again:ohwell:

I always wanted to try the John Freda clear glaze.

The one time I tried silicon mix, my hair was dry and dull.

I never understood the purpose of hot oil treatments. Because oil molecules can't penetrate the hair strand and therefore does not moisturize. So how does a hot oil treatment work?