Going from a regular relaxer to a coarse relaxer?

SleepyJean

Is going from a regular relaxer to a coarse relaxer potentially harmful??? There was only one type of my relaxer at the beauty supply. It was coarse. Now, my hair is coarse, but I just want to know if it will hurt my hair. I've only used regular to this point.

fluffylocks

I was thinking but wasnt going to post that it seems like it would be okay if you cut the time in half of the coarse relaxer from like 15 min. to 7 or 8, 9----, but then i thought that despite the time, the coarse relaxer is maybe harmful to your hair because of the high ph....is that right? The High ph Lifts and damages the cuticles more? And then you could run into underproccesing probally.

So heres the question....

Is 18-25 min. regualr relaxer--guess 12-13ph (i think the amount of time regular relaxers use as a guide for coarse hair if shorthair goes by that)

Safer/Healthier than 9 min. with a coarse relaxer---guess 14 ph? I remember the difference between each number is like 100 or 1000 times stronger or something like that.

Anyway...IDK Bump

Also maybe you can add oil or conditoner or whatever people use to slow proccesing time down

glamazon386

I was thinking but wasnt going to post that it seems like it would be okay if you cut the time in half of the coarse relaxer from like 15 min. to 7 or 8, 9----, but then i thought that despite the time, the coarse relaxer is maybe harmful to your hair because of the high ph....is that right? The High ph Lifts and damages the cuticles more? And then you could run into underproccesing probally.

So heres the question....

Is 18-25 min. regualr relaxer--guess 12-13ph (i think the amount of time regular relaxers use as a guide for coarse hair if shorthair goes by that)

Safer/Healthier than 9 min. with a coarse relaxer---guess 14 ph? I remember the difference between each number is like 100 or 1000 times stronger or something like that.

Anyway...IDK Bump

Also maybe you can add oil or conditoner or whatever people use to slow proccesing time down

Who leaves a relaxer on for 18-25 mins? :blush: Nobody really needs a coarse or super relaxer. It's too strong. You can use the regular and leave it on a little longer and get the same results. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

When I was a child my mom and I went to a hairdresser and she decided to be cheap and just buy super relaxer and use it on everybody's hair. My mother had to get her shoulder length hair cut into the Halle Berry cut it was so damaged. I only suffered damage on one side and it grew back quickly. I will never let anybody near my head with a strong (or even regular strength relaxer) again.

SleepyJean

Who leaves a relaxer on for 18-25 mins? :blush: Nobody really needs a coarse or super relaxer. It's too strong. You can use the regular and leave it on a little longer and get the same results. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

When I was a child my mom and I went to a hairdresser and she decided to be cheap and just buy super relaxer and use it on everybody's hair. My mother had to get her shoulder length hair cut into the Halle Berry cut it was so damaged. I only suffered damage on one side and it grew back quickly. I will never let anybody near my head with a strong (or even regular strength relaxer) again.

You didn't need to say anymore....All the work seemed like too much trouble. I'm just going to look for the regular relaxer. Thank you. You may have saved me a major cut. :yep:

fluffylocks

Oh idk LOL, i've never left one on that long, but i've seen people leave theres on 18-20.....
Yeah, i dont think their needed either (super)

I was just wondering if a PH of 13 at say 10-15 min would be less or equal to a ph of 14 at like 5-7min.....

Was also wondering if an oil or conditoner could help if she chose to keep the super relaxer

But if it was,i do think that would be too iffy, you could face underproccesing and all kinds of crap

Yeah though, i was just bumping and talking lol

SleepyJean

Oh idk LOL, i've never left one on that long, but i've seen people leave theres on 18-20.....
Yeah, i dont think their needed either (super)

I was just wondering if a PH of 13 at say 10-15 min would be less or equal to a ph of 14 at like 5-7min.....

Was also wondering if an oil or conditoner could help if she chose to keep the super relaxer

But if it was,i do think that would be too iffy, you could face underproccesing and all kinds of crap

Yeah though, i was just bumping and talking lol

I appreciate you talking! :grin:

locabouthair

so exactly how long is the relaxer supposed to be left on? on my mizani, it says to leave it for 18 mins.

Shorthair, I agree with everyone else. I have the coarsest hair but I'm not messing with super:nono: