Coffee or Tea Anyone?

Royal Glory

Hello Ladies,

Who uses coffee or tea or even herb rinses to darken their hair and or hide gray? What is your method and how successful has it been for you?

Thanks for your input.

Chinagem

I don't but I know some ladies have put coffee or tea in their henna mix to help darken their hair. Maybe somebody with more knowledge will come along soon to give you a more thorough answer.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've tried coffee and molasses once to darken my hair but I didn't see a difference. I don't think I'll ever do it again though because my hair smelled like old coffee for days and after awhile it started to stink. I probably applied it wrong though. Maybe someone else will have a better way to do it.

Royal Glory

Thanks for the response, Pokahontas. Yeah, I think I read somewhere that the color is gradual and progressive, so it has to be used repeatedly. That coffee smell for days isn't too appealing, though.

BTW, your hair is looking great.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Royal Glory said:
Thanks for the response, Pokahontas. Yeah, I think I read somewhere that the color is gradual and progressive, so it has to be used repeatedly. That coffee smell for days isn't too appealing, though.

BTW, your hair is looking great.
Thank you. You're right, it is gradual. I forgot about that. I don't think I made my coffee brew strong enough either. Yeah, I can't deal with that smell ever again. I didn't shampoo after I did the coffee....just rinsed it out. Maybe if you shampoo'd after it would eliminate the smell.....but that could possibly wash the coffee back out:confused: .

locabouthair

have you thought about using henna or indigo. someone recently made a thread about using henna and indigo to cover their grays and it worked well.

LovelyLionessa

I have used strongly brewed coffee in my henna mixes, and since they are always done as a pre-poo, I've never had a problem with it making my hair smell. It does help to enhance dark hair. I bought some black tea and plan on experimenting with that in the future. Coffee has never covered my gray tho. Henna makes gray have a gorgeous red highlighted effect, while using indigo over it will give it a darker tone that blends in more with the rest of the hair. HTH :)

Royal Glory

locabouthair said:
have you thought about using henna or indigo. someone recently made a thread about using henna and indigo to cover their grays and it worked well.

I have thought about it. But I am still on the fence because I'm nervous about using any color chemical. I'm committed to relaxing and don't want to add more chemicals on top of that to my hair. I have heard good things about the henna-indigo mix. Maybe I will study it a little more.

I still have time, though. I don't mind the grays that I have right now. They look like highlights. :) And I think beautiful, shiney salt 'n pepper or silver gray hair is very attractive (especially when the wearer is rocking mid back hair)...but I could wake up one morning with a change of heart, so I am working on my back up plan. :look:

Chinagem

Don't quote me on this b/c i don't use henna so I'm not sure but I don't think it's a considered a chemical.

Royal Glory

Priestess said:
I have used strongly brewed coffee in my henna mixes, and since they are always done as a pre-poo, I've never had a problem with it making my hair smell. It does help to enhance dark hair. I bought some black tea and plan on experimenting with that in the future. Coffee has never covered my gray tho. Henna makes gray have a gorgeous red highlighted effect, while using indigo over it will give it a darker tone that blends in more with the rest of the hair. HTH :)

Thanks, Priestess.

I've been wanting to try these, especially the tea.