Color Problem

Aviah

So I said I wouldn't dye my hair with commercial dye anymore. But I did- I tried auburn, and it only took on the first four inches of my hair (I dyed my hair black last summer). I then tried another lighter auburn two weeks later in an attempt to lift the black. The roots took more of it that the ends but its not too noticeable unless in the sun. I kept some hendigo on standby just in case I didn't like it but I really want auburn hair-that black just won't get out. I don't think I can do another dye job without wrecking my hair, or can I?

Any suggestions?

@Aviah quit torturing your hair! It is beautiful just like it is in your signature.

Leave it 'lone!
Rant over, thank you :grin:

Lol, Thanks frizzy but I can't leave it with these semi-auburn roots and dark ends!
KandyCurls, How would I strip the color from the ends without making the roots lighter also? When would be suitable to try again, lets say 4 weeks?

Last edited:
If you still have black dye on your hair then you need a color stripper/remover like Color Oops or Colorfix. Lighter colors won't take very well on hair that has been dyed a darker color.

I absolutely agree. I know first hand from experience LOL

Lol, Thanks @frizzy but I can't leave it with these semi-auburn roots and dark ends!
@ KandyCurls, How would I strip the color from the ends without making the roots lighter also? When would be suitable to try again, lets say 4 weeks?

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I've used Color Oops and it will remove the artificial color from your hair and return it to the original color. Unless your hair has been bleached, then it should remove the auburn color too or at least most of it and get it close to your natural hair color.

BraunSugar Ok, I was wondering if it was bleach. Is it really damaging?

I don't want my cuticles so raised that the hair can't hold color properly...

Last edited:
Aviah I did a protein treatment before I used it. After I used it my hair did not feel bad at all. It felt better than it does right after a color. I used Silk Elements Mega Moisture DC once I was done with the Color Oops.

Ok. First its extremely hard to lift a black or dark brown dye. You may need to get a colour remover (Superdrug and boots have them). Be aware they obviously contain peroxide.

I would wait a few weeks while doing a protein DC (get some Aussie colour treatments). Then use the removal (only on the ends with black) get a Loreal casting shade (its mild and a semi) close to the shade you want-pick a shade lighter, use it and then keep up your Aussie colour treatments, your hair should be fine.

I would say you should really avoid henna/indigo till you've sorted this out before you end up with green hair.

HTH

I heard it was the metallic salts in some hennas that left you with green hair, apparently LUSH Henna (which I would use) doesn't have them... Even still, I don't want to go back to black just yet...

hothair, I just saw your post, they do have bleach. Ugh. I'm not too fond of that stuff but it looks like I have no choice if I'm going to do this. I'll give my hair a break and really baby it all of August, in Sept if I think my hair's up to it, I'll do the color remover and dye it again. I'll do a rinse in the meantime.
Thanks everyone !

Last edited:
Back