Colored Naturals..Hows Your Hair Doing?

I see that I've posted in this thread already; I'm too lazy to go find my post so I'll just update with my hair's condition as of now, lol.

I cannot wait for this color to grow out. I can definitely tell the difference between my virgin hair and the colored parts. I blow-dried my hair last Thursday and the difference in silkiness was amazing. My virgin hair was shiny and soft while my colored ends didn't have a high sheen and felt a bit more rough.

I do take care of my hair, but I can see the impact that color can have on one's strands overtime. I've been tempted to just cut off the colored ends, but that would be like 3-4 inches of hair. I'll do it eventually, maybe after I reach MBL.

I can't wait to have black hair again, though.
Wow okay thanks for the update...what kinda color did you use? and do you think you may have had a different outcome if you had used a color like Aveda?

Wow okay thanks for the update...what kinda color did you use? and do you think you may have had a different outcome if you had used a color like Aveda?

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe it would have. For the color in my hair now, I used a box color from the drugstore (Texture & Tones in Bronze) actually.

I usually only notice the difference of my hair's strands when I straighten it. Curly/kinky hair hides a lot of issues when in its natural state, lol.

Now I won't say that I'm suffering from split ends or anything because I do keep my ends well hydrated and wrapped in a bun mainly. I think my issue deals more with my cuticles being disturbed from the color process. The cuticles in the parts of the hair that are colored don't lay as flat as the virgin hair, therefore not giving off a sheen and a smoother feel.

Awe man, I really need my presses to stay the same....I heart the sleekness when I'm in a straight hair mood:perplexed.....I have some decisions to make on this....

Foodie said this:

Foodie said:
well if you don't want to go to a professional, you should use the professional color...the box versions of anything have the lowest quality components that the company has to offer and the developer is still strong.

If you are nervous when you go to a stylist to get color, just ask them to use 10 point developer. That is the weakest developer and it will lift your color the slowest which will then be more gentle and there is less room for mistake on the stylists end.
So I'm hoping that maybe if I heed this advice and use the best of the best I may get a better result?....I hope:look:

I'd love to just buy the color myself and do it on my own but we'll see.....

aw thank you :drunk:

well if you don't want to go to a professional, you should use the professional color... i might do a youtube video some day i am nervous though. but the box versions of anything have the lowest quality components that the company has to offer and the developer is still strong.
If you are nervous when you go to a stylist to get color, just ask them to use 10 point developer. That is the weakest developer and it will lift your color the slowest which will then be more gentle and there is less room for mistake on the stylists end.

Level 10 developer only deposits color. It will not lift color. It will fry the hair in the time it would take to try to lift. That's why they have different levels (10, 20, 30) because damage is not only caused by the strength, but the length of time needed to achieve a certain color. Level 30, for example, could get hair as light as bleach possibly, but the amount of time it would take could make it just as damaging as bleach. That's why bleach is used at times--for some it's better to use bleach for 5 minutes instead of a level 20 for 45 minutes. Sometimes it's best to use a level 30 developer for 10 min, instead of level 20 for 25 min with heat, etc. etc.

Last edited:
Awe man, I really need my presses to stay the same....I heart the sleekness when I'm in a straight hair mood:perplexed.....I have some decisions to make on this....

Foodie said this:

So I'm hoping that maybe if I heed this advice and use the best of the best I may get a better result?....I hope:look:

I'd love to just buy the color myself and do it on my own but we'll see.....

Over time, I realized that I had to use more heat on my ends to get them to look like my virgin hair when straightened. They'd also poof up quicker. I'm not trying to scare you at all, but it's good to see all sides of the color issue. Keep in mind that I did use a box color, so that could have had an impact on it.

They say you always want what you don't have. When I had all black hair, I wanted color, and now that I have color, I want all black hair again lol. After I did my 2nd BC due to coloring damage, I said I'd never color again (except for henna) and welp, I ended up coloring again but with better knowledge on how to take care of my colored hair.

^^ what kind of bleach do you use janet, your colour is fabulous! what are your after colour steps, Do you neutralise some how?

Should I be reading the whole thread for the answer hehe

To be honest with you...I have no idea the steps because I get it professionally done. But, what I can do is take notes...I'm going next Friday to get a re-touch and will be posting. I do know that she uses foil in the process, but that's about all that I know.

Thank you so much for the compliment!

i still want more color but i think i will wait. i only have about 1 1/2 to 2 inch of new growth so im in no rush to re touch.
i do deep condition my hair as much as possible with natural products, i have to strat using heat with the conditioner again though. that makes a world of difference.
tonight im shampooing with aphogee for damaged hair and then deep treating with kbb hair mask.

oh and my curl pattern hasnt changed at all.

i'd so love to do this my I am deeply afraid my curl pattern will loosen GREATLY. I am mostly 3a, few parts are 3b. clarification anyone?

What DC is everyone using?

~*~*~*~*~

chebaby said:
i still want more color but i think i will wait. i only have about 1 1/2 to 2 inch of new growth so im in no rush to re touch.
i do deep condition my hair as much as possible with natural products, i have to strat using heat with the conditioner again though. that makes a world of difference.
tonight im shampooing with aphogee for damaged hair and then deep treating with kbb hair mask.

oh and my curl pattern hasnt changed at all.
What DC's have you found particularly effective on your color treated hair? Natural and otherwise?

My curl pattern has loosened but it wasnt because of the color, it was because I use heat. But I am still able to restore my curl pattern to about 93% using good dc's. Mayo or honey does it everytime

...yeah 93 % lol

~*~*~*~*~

What DC's have you found particularly effective on your color treated hair? Natural and otherwise?

I use Redken Extreme Conditioners and Treatments mostly. Colored Naturals need more protein because of the hair bond being weakened by the process.

I've been using more products that contain plant proteins and/or ceramides and my hair is doing fine. I plan to color every 6 weeks and do a hardcore protein treatment on the same day.

ETA: To answer BMP's question, I've been using Lustrasilk Shea Butter and Mango for moisture, and the Profective Mega Growth Deep Penetrating Conditioner for protein. This weekend I'll be trying Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla.

I use the Silk Elements Moisturizing treatment to DC.
I also the aphogee 2 min. weekly, and about every two months, I'll do a treatment with eggs.

I have about 2 inches left as I've gradually been cutting off my color. When my hair got damaged, the colored part was hurt the worst. I like this thread though. I may go for it again one day :)

I actually did an un-touch up today.

I was sick of the lighter hair, and done with having to rely on my stylist to do my color touchups.

The last time I had my hair colored was February. So I dyed everything EXCEPT my roots back to my natural darkest brown color. I used the cheapest dye I could find it was revlon colorsilk and my hair felt like freaking straw and twigs when I rinsed it out.

As soon as I put conditioner on it softened up back to usual, but I'm going to baby my hair for a while with DCing and let it get back to 100%.

I'm happy with the dark hair again though :)

~*~*~*~*~

karens body beautiful is my fav deep conditioner. it is a little thin but i dont mind because it really penetrates the hair.

i also use giovanni xtreme protein conditioner and giovanni nutrafix, aveda damage remedy conditioner and damage remedy treatment, oyin honey hemp conditioner and for pre poo i use ORS replenishing or ORS mayo.
i also co wash daily.

Bumping.....

I'm going to go red, on my own, for the first time.

I've had my hair colored at a salon before, and it got very dry but still did OK.

I'm hoping to have good results today...

Hopefully some more colored naturals (who did it on their own) will chime in...

I actually did an un-touch up today.

I was sick of the lighter hair, and done with having to rely on my stylist to do my color touchups.

The last time I had my hair colored was February. So I dyed everything EXCEPT my roots back to my natural darkest brown color. I used the cheapest dye I could find it was revlon colorsilk and my hair felt like freaking straw and twigs when I rinsed it out.

As soon as I put conditioner on it softened up back to usual, but I'm going to baby my hair for a while with DCing and let it get back to 100%.

I'm happy with the dark hair again though
:)

Hmmm.... that didn't last long....

My colored hair is doing fine. As its been stated, you MUST take care of the hair a little more consistently though. So I DC weekly (if not twice) and use steam and oil treatments to keep the hair supple.

Bumping.....

I'm going to go red, on my own, for the first time.

I've had my hair colored at a salon before, and it got very dry but still did OK.

I'm hoping to have good results today...

Hopefully some more colored naturals (who did it on their own) will chime in...
What are you going to use?

I'm using some manic panic this week. I'm hoping the final product will give a hint of burgundy.

What are you going to use?

I'm using some manic panic this week. I'm hoping the final product will give a hint of burgundy.

I'm using textures n tones ruby rage i think it's called. I saw a pic of lhcfer honeisis (i think that's her name??) who used it and her hair looked FAB

i'm hoping it looks half as good on mine.

my hair is fine. ive colored it about 4 times, then henna it red, then colored it again and its doing darn good. i wouldnt suggest all that i did though. one thing about my hair is it holds onto moisture and i protein often.

Having bowed to peer pressure :lachen: I've been coloring my beautiful white/silver hair black :rolleyes:. I did a BC last May (bleached it up white, was da bomb, IMHO). Dyed it back black before starting a new job (chicken that I am).

I try to use Bigen in the box. I've convinced myself since it's sans peroxide it must be better for my hair. Anywho, my main complaint is I recently noticed to really stay on top of my roots I'll have to dye every two weeks. Geesh. That just seems to much to me, daaaag.

i have no problem with hair color. i cowash, moisturize daily, shampoo and dc once a week. have been able to retain length without drama. you just have to keep your hair moisturized.

So far so good. I've switched my reggie a bit to make sure I get extra moisture.
Going to get my color re-done and corrected next weekend.

I'm happily a colored natural :)

Well the manic panic didn't work for me. :( Except for my fingers nails are a nice shade of pink.

I'm wondering if I should try the Textures and Tones in Plum.

How long do you think I need to wait if I used a product like MP?

I have a soft brown rinse over henna & its doing very well..I keep my moisture/sealing up!

(My natural hair color is dark red/ash brown/off black with a burnt rust hue) So I choose soft brown color to tone it down lol....

Happy Hair Growing!

I use Naturtint 3N Chesnut Brown to cover my grey. I only dye the very front and where I part it in the back when I wear it 1/2 up & 1/2 down. I keep it moisturized with coconut oil and limit heat to 3-4x a year. My hair is thin so I treat it gently as a matter of course--I do not think the dye has caused noticeable damage. Also, my hair grows slowly so I only touch up every 3 mos. Lucky me, eh? ;)

Back