Colored Naturals..Hows Your Hair Doing?

I have always colored my hair ... have been every color in the rainbow ..including green! :look: bad move
baby those strands ! use protein & moisture .. when I lack on one or the other my hair suffers... there is nothing super crazy about my routine ... use what products work for you
if you dont have protein in your reggie now and you are going to color ....get some aphogee stat.. once a month treatment should be fine .. but you should test your hair to see if that is ok , you might need more or less...
I like henna too, to help strength my strands

Whimsy your color is GORGE!!!:love: arr1216 ,honeiosis can you guys please share your reggie and how its changed since the color and how you combat it?

Weird thing is my hair has been more manageable since color. I cowash almost daily w/ Keracare and ORS Replenishing Conditioner and I think that has helped me. I don't moisturize and seal as rigourously as I probably should, but my shedding has been very minimal (as much as every person sheds hair).

I think I've pretty much started training my hair to do the same thing so the defining of curls gets easier, the curl clumping gets easiter, etc.

My reggie in short is:
  • co-wash daily w/Keracare and ORS
  • vigorously shake hair after last co-wash
  • leave-in: Cantu Shea Butter
  • Oil hair with various oils and seal w/ EVOO or Castor
  • shake hair again and define curls
  • style and go (either air dray or use curlisto method)

Weird thing is my hair has been more manageable since color. I cowash almost daily w/ Keracare and ORS Replenishing Conditioner and I think that has helped me. I don't moisturize and seal as rigourously as I probably should, but my shedding has been very minimal (as much as every person sheds hair).

I think I've pretty much started training my hair to do the same thing so the defining of curls gets easier, the curl clumping gets easiter, etc.

My reggie in short is:
  • co-wash daily w/Keracare and ORS
  • vigorously shake hair after last co-wash
  • leave-in: Cantu Shea Butter
  • Oil hair with various oils and seal w/ EVOO or Castor
  • shake hair again and define curls
  • style and go (either air dray or use curlisto method)

ooh another Cantu user ! sometimes it gets a bad rap lol ... I love it !
Love your color too .. looks great next to your skin tone

ooh another Cantu user ! sometimes it gets a bad rap lol ... I love it !
Love your color too .. looks great next to your skin tone

Does it really??
I love my Cantu!!! I use the leave in in the tub and once in a while the type in a bottle. I prefer the tub type. Which do you use?

my hair is doing awesome.
i love aveda color!!

i will never, ever, ever use anything else.

i like the fact that aveda is 98% natural. it did NOT straighten my hair and i have had no ill effects from it. i cannot recommed this brand more. i would def. consider it "natural friendly."

and no i'm not a paid sponsor. i just love this stuff!!

next summer i'm going for a chocolate with blonde look. i have some copper and chocolate with blonde highlights now and they are doing soooo good.

naturals, don't let color turn you off, but i do suggest you look into natural, plant based brands. aveda is not the only one. there are a few more on the market.

reg color always, always broke my hair off. but i was also double processed - i was relaxed at the time annnndd i know how to really take care of my hair now.

also, when i was getting my color done, you don't smell strong scents and your hair feels soft after the color. i like that.

Last edited:
^^^ I've heard amazing things about Aveda color. Do you feel your hair would be okay if you regularly straightened? What do you do to maintain?

Yup!!!! cosigning for Aveda colour. When I used other colours even professionally done and without relaxer my hair would snap off. With Aveda no problem at all whatsoever!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

Yup!!!! cosigning for Aveda colour. When I used other colours even professionally done and without relaxer my hair would snap off. With Aveda no problem at all whatsoever!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

^^Whats your hair type/reggie? Are you relaxed or natural? Do you think your hair would be okay of you straightened regularly?

Yes! You can be natural and have healthy, colored hair. The first one is soon after the color when it was dry and damaged.The last two pics after my last DC of coconut milk/shea butter/choice of dc. My hair still has more to go but it's come a long way in a short amount of time. I recently took out my sew-in, I transitioned for a year. I cut about 3-4 inches and professionally colored (at my hair dresser's house lol) it the day after I took out the hair. Soooo it took us three tries to get to my original color. AND we used bleach. But I am religious about my DC'ing and protein and keeping my regimen pretty simple. So I think you should BUT you really have to take care of your hair :)

didi91098451281109061159.jpg

didi27732764281109021138.jpg

didi22627738281109021129.jpg

Other than the usual natural hair issues (knots, tangles), my hair is doing great actually (knocks on wood). I'm really checking my protein/moisture balance more now than I did with my first round of color before my 2nd BC.

For my color, I used Texture & Tones in Bronze. So far I have no breakage.

Yes! You can be natural and have healthy, colored hair. The first one is soon after the color when it was dry and damaged.The last two pics after my last DC of coconut milk/shea butter/choice of dc. My hair still has more to go but it's come a long way in a short amount of time. I recently took out my sew-in, I transitioned for a year. I cut about 3-4 inches and professionally colored (at my hair dresser's house lol) it the day after I took out the hair. Soooo it took us three tries to get to my original color. AND we used bleach. But I am religious about my DC'ing and protein and keeping my regimen pretty simple. So I think you should BUT you really have to take care of your hair :)

didi91098451281109061159.jpg

didi27732764281109021138.jpg

didi22627738281109021129.jpg

OMG your color is gorgeous! :love:

I'm not natural and I never colored my hair but I know someone who is natural and colored and her hair looks pretty thick and healthy. I was drooling over her hair.

I got my hair dyed in April of 2009
and my hair is doing fine here are some pics...lol
This was the end of April or maybe early May-failed attempted at shingling??

2v0lbah.jpg

These were after I took my braids out at the end of September
2ptb09s.jpg

failed attempts at measuring new growth
2qb4qxe.jpg

2iiwjz6.jpg

the end

15eg65l.jpg

I keep my hair in braids, and the last braids were human hairs the braids I have in know are synthetic, so I make sure I keep my braids moisturized, I spray with infusium 23, ...so for me color is a keeper I will be getting a touched for my birthday 02/19/2010

Hey BlackMaster Piece, I always look forward to your posts; you always seem full of life.

I am natural. 4a/4b with curly bits of 3c dispersed throughout my hair in an uneven fashion and my strands are very fine but I have a lot of hair. My hair has no visible curl or wave pattern. My natural hair colour is a 2 and I went up to a 5.

I am SL.

I consider myself the queen of colour but let me repeat my story again. I went to a natural black hair care salon in 2006 and I got a honey colour brown. Let's just say that my hair broke off very quickly and they were very rude (the hairdresser thought my hair was too tough) (I know a black natural hair salon).

I swore off of colour until 2008 I started to hear about Aveda colours and I decided to check it out. I like that they do a protein/moisture treatment afterwards. And I am very meticulous about the way they comb my hair and even bring my own comb. They always ask if I want it blown out and I tell them no thanks.

My upkeep is not any different than what I do everyday. I mist everyday with my water/aloe juice and moisturise with my redone Qhemet Alma Heavy Oil (I remixed it not to be so gummy because as I said before gummy products weigh down my hair and take it out when I comb) and added aloe vera juice, coconut oil, avocado oil and distilled water which has made the mix now a lot lighter. And I seal with a dollop of olive and honey balm. Keep my hair in big twists.

I don't DC. I do my shampoos and conditioners as the same. I do a hot oil treatment before shampoo and conditioner. And I keep my hair braided when I shampoo/condition.

I think Aveda is gentle enough to keep hair straight as long as you don't go too far up the colour chart or only do some highlights.

My hair never comes out in the comb!!!!!!!!!!!

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
I have stubborn grays. So I go to Sallys and purchase Miss Clairol's RR203 I use this with a 20 developer and I add a packet of gray magic when I mix my hair color. I put the color first in the front of my hair (the bangs) from root to tip. Then I color the rest of my hair starting at the root to the tip. When i'm finished coloring my hair I then go over the bang area again with the color. Then rinse and deep condition with Neutrogena Deep Recovery Mask every 8 weeks. My hair color looks bright in the front but still natural. I love it. My hair is fine 4a 3c. However I have tons of hair. My hair stays moisturized and I don't have any breakage. I have shedding but I have always had shedding. Your supposed to loose hair everyday.

Wow. Thank you soooooooo much for that comprehensive play by play of your reggie almond eyes!! :bighug:

I'm seriously considering Aveda color now.......decisions decisions!!

Bumping.

I tried coloring my hair a lighter color once....I ran screaming back to black as I wasn't sure if the color looking "right" with my skin tone.

This thread has me curious again. Oy!

Man I wanna color again so badly. I've been eyeing the Silk Elements Santa Fe Bronze for a minute now...

How do you lovely ladies pick a color that matches your skin tone? Did you go to a professional or just grab a box of the shelf and hoped for the best? Did you find out your undertones and what not first (something I should probably do)?

I am really itching to dye my hair green again but I don't want to bleach. I have only been natural since march but I have dyed it red, light brown, purple(turned out black), and a deeper brown.

I used Bigen Expressions first because it worked great for my relaxed hair. My natural hair hated it. It was drying and it lightened my front to blonde. I then tried a purple by Punky and it turned black. Striped it out. Then I put in red by Punky and it was cute.

It has mostly washed out but is still on my ends. The Bigen Permanent is still there and give high lights. I think after a couple of weeks of dryness my hair came back. I am still retaining but I have seen a split here or there but not alot.

BlackMaster Piece, the only thing you need to consider is the detangling process when they wash your hair. If you have thick hair and don't normally wash your hair in braids you should be fine but if not you have to really talk them through your combing and shampoo process without sounding like a diva or too complicated.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Back