Combing Airdried Hair Without Breakage?

Isis

brickhouse said:
Isis the same thing happened to me last night. :crying3: I wish I knew you could not comb airdried hair. This is the first time I tried it and got so much breakage because I have this really thick coarse hair. I am scared I am going to have a set back. I will be washing and conditioning tommorrow and will never do that again. Thanks for the thread. I feel better knowing I am not the only one.

We both have thick coarse hair and I feel that is a major factor. Personally, I'm not worried about having a setback since I only did it once. Brickhouse, I believe our hair recovers right away with something like this, once we stop doing it.

Others who have success combing their airdried hair must have something different going on with their hair, perhaps it is hair type or those cuticles are already smooth and lying flat before combing.

Isis

Ok. I actually gave it a second try because I was intrigued. I kept thinking there had to be a way. Now I know how to do this with very little hair loss. My hair must be airdried in a rollerset first so the cuticles are lying flat and smooth. The condition of the cuticles are the secret, at least for my hair. When carefully combed from the bottom up with a seamless, wide tooth comb (I used a Jilbere shower comb), there should be no or very little hair pulling or snagging (unless it was a bad rollerset). This is why I haven't learned how to do a doobie.

Boy, was my hair big when I was done!:lol:

LeNghtyDreAms

Okay, so you don't comb your hair after it's airdried, I can get down with this. But can someone pulease explain to me how it's possible to comb your hair while its wet with no or very little breakage? My hair is massively thick and combing it out when it wet is so0o hard. Especialy since im 10 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is so curly. Getting to my roots is killing, and its so disheartening seeing clumps of my wet hair combing out in my comb.

Any tips?

thanxs!

Isis

LeNghtyDreAms said:
Okay, so you don't comb your hair after it's airdried, I can get down with this. But can someone pulease explain to me how it's possible to comb your hair while its wet with no or very little breakage? My hair is massively thick and combing it out when it wet is so0o hard. Especialy since im 10 weeks post relaxer and my new growth is so curly. Getting to my roots is killing, and its so disheartening seeing clumps of my wet hair combing out in my comb.

Any tips?

thanxs!

What kind of conditioner are you using before you comb your wet hair? My hair is very thick and coarse and I've learned an easy way to detangle my hair.

I believe the trick is to find a good, moisturizing conditioner that detangles also. I use Nexxus Humectress and deep condition with it every 3 days. When I'm rinsing my hair is when I comb it with a wide tooth seamless comb, under the shower. The force of the water helps with detangling and I start slowly from my ends on up to my roots. If my roots are very dense because of stretching the relaxer, I don't force my comb into it, I separate it with my fingers and let the water force do the job.

Then I step out of the tub and with my hair still dripping, I apply a good detangling leave-in conditioner like Headress and comb again from the ends to the root. This time, my comb slips through all of my hair, including the dense roots.

This is how to do it with very little hair on the comb or the normal shedding of hair. Now if a lot of hair is coming out in spite of this, perhaps a protein treatment is needed to strengthen the hair. I use Keraphix about every few weeks followed by a deep moisturizing conditioning and it works very well.

Isis

Boadicea said:
Glad you figured something out! :)
Thank you Boadicea. I won't be combing daily since I don't want or need that manipulation. I'm just glad it's possible with my hair. It opens doors for other possibilities and styles.

LeNghtyDreAms

Thanx Isis, I use NTM daily deep conditioner. Maybe my hair is breaking bc i don't comb it out in the shower, or maybe i do need a protein treatment. Ive never done one before. I'll try this and see what happens.

thanx!

tryn2growmyhair

Leslie_C said:
I have a question, how do u NOT comb your hair, especially with a lot of new growth? Mine looks rough enough when I comb it with lots of NG, but I can only imagine what it would look like if I didnt. how do u get around it and how do u style your hair? If u keep it bunned, how do u keep it looking smooth? one LITTLE trick Ive learned is to gently use the SIDE ONLY of a soft boar bristle brush to smooth the outside layer. that has helped some.

so if u dont comb your airdried hair, what DO u do to it? how about moisturizing,etc? how do u distribute it? I just cant grasp this concept but now I see maybe this has been my problem bc I always air dry but Ive always combed it after it was dry and usually every day or two after.
Co-signing on this. How do you keep the hair from looking rough? I still have to at least comb the outer layer of my bun for my hair to look presentable. I am often in corporate environments, I can't have my hair looking messy.

Boadicea

LeNghtyDreAms said:

Any tips?

thanxs!

I deep condition and pre-shampoo frequently so I keep my hair in top condition. This drastically cuts down breakage and in my case has eliminated it. My hair still sheds, but far less than 100 or even 20-50 hairs a day.

After rinsing out the deep conditioner, I put conditioner on my hair and let it sit while I wet my hair a little and begin to comb it with my wide tooth comb (seamless). I don't always go from ends to roots. Some times I start in the middle, some times at the root. But I'm always very careful; I never rush and never yank the comb through my hair.

I then rinse my hair, and continue to detangle without conditioner (unless there is a tricky spot, then I add conditioner there and do that spot again). I then add more conditioner and let that rinse. I towel-dry my first gently wringing my hair with my right hand only once. I drape the towel over my hair starting at the roots of the crown. I reach back and squeeze once and then pat my hands on top of the towel. No unnecessary wringing, tugging, pulling or rubbing.

I apply my leave-ins (Salerm 21 and Salerm Super Activo) and then detangle my hair once more and put it in a ponytail or bun. The next day, I take my hair down and without adding anything to it, comb it out with my seamless comb (not the wide-tooth shower comb) and put it back up.

I've gone 24 weeks without a touch-up many times and the key is to work in sections no matter how much your arms may hurt. let the size of your combs go from yoru largest (shower comb) to your smallest (rat-tail comb) when working in sections.

Isis

tryn2growmyhair said:
Co-signing on this. How do you keep the hair from looking rough? I still have to at least comb the outer layer of my bun for my hair to look presentable. I am often in corporate environments, I can't have my hair looking messy.
I quickly learned to use my hands and fingers to smooth my hair, especially when wearing it in a bun or updo. I believe we are so used to using combs and brushes that we think our hair looks a mess if we don't use them.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Isis said:
I quickly learned to use my hands and fingers to smooth my hair, especially when wearing it in a bun or updo. I believe we are so used to using combs and brushes that we think our hair looks a mess if we don't use them.

I agree. I'm still trying to grow out of the idea that no comb = messy hair. Since joining the LHCF, I've used my comb far less now than I ever did.