Committment to Total Health and Beauty Regimen for 2006

tastesosweet

Ladies of LHCF, anybody interested in joining me in making a committment to a total health and beauty regimen in 2006? I know it's cliche to make New Year's resolutions but I know I need a forum in which I'm held accountable for my daily health and beauty routine. I had a conversation last night with a girlfriend of mine about how we both struggle daily to make the right decisions. We know what we need to do, but still don't do them. I want to make a committment to not only taking the proper steps to take care of my hair, but my mind and body as well. After all, a healthy head of hair begins on the inside. Here is what I propose to do:

My routine for 2006:
-begin my morning with prayer
-at least 30 minutes of exercise 5-6 times a week
-drink at least 80 ounces of water daily
-take one multivitamin/hair, skin, and nail vitamin daily
-cut my caloric intake to 1500-1800/day
-maintain my hair in protective styles to reach my desired length

My goals for the end of 2006:
-30 lbs weight loss (and maintained)
-hair length-below bra strap
-locked into a vitamin, food, exercise regimen

Anybody care to join me? Got any suggestions for enhancing my routine?

http://public.fotki.com/tastesosweet/

P

patient1

Hi Sweet!

I'm in too. I feel like I've started. I brought a salad and a boiled egg to work for lunch yesterday. I had black grapes for a snack and a granola bar. Drank water. Had Chinese for dinner. Drove by the McDonald's even though the urge for a large fry was fierce!!

I'll be back to post my outline as well.

P1

eta:

Diet:
~bring own lunch to work
~fresh fruits and vegies (pref. raw) included in each day's meals
~water, tea, 100% juice (diluted by a 3rd) in that order

Movement:
~yoga or pilates twice a week
~walk the stairs during my morning break
~evening walks with daughters at least twice a week
~weekend hikes again

Exterior:
~bi monthly trips to day spa for full body scrubs
~weekly or biweekly sauna/steam sits
~go back to simple facial routine (oil cleanse, real aloe, shea, steam, honey)

Spirit:
~attend worship service at least biweekly
~awake a half hour before kids for tea and grounding
~fasts of silence on a monthly, bi-monthly basis
~journalling

That's what I intuit as achievable with ease and grace...and a dash of discipline.

Last edited by a moderator:

HoneyDew

I really need to do this. I am so in.

Now is a great time for me to make this committment. my life used to be so crazy - work, social life, family. but things have calmed down a lot and I think I am mentally ready to concentrate on my health and well-being.

I am so in! I will take some time this weekend to really finalize a "formal" (but not rigid) regimen. I have one somewhat, but i don't really put much thought into it.

ekomba

i m in i been eating to much junk lately i gained weight i ll start right after the holidays cause i know i m gonna be eating at christmas and new year's festivities i post my whole regimen later. i m thinking of starting the new year with a colonic to say adios to the bad things or moderation and rethink my hair and diet regimen. i need to look good nex summer i m start early and prepared i d love to lose like 30-40lbs too and grow my hair :lol:

Phoenix

I'm with you. I'm finally ready to accept that all the vitamins I'm taking and hair growth potions I'm using can't replace good nutrition, water, and exercise. In 2006 I will get my body and hair as healthy as possible.

tastesosweet

I am so glad to see so many ladies responding! We can definitely accomplish our goals this year and having a support system is so important. Any ladies looking for a good program to start for weight loss or weight control, check out the book Slim Down Sister:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...103-4507582-9320627?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I lost 22 pounds in 2 months using this program once. I should've stuck with it but I let life get in the way. Not this time. Has anyone else read this book?

P.S. Check out my photo album!

mytia

SuperWoman!
I haven't posted in so long but I had to respond to this one because this is exactly where my head has been for the year 2006 and well after, so I'm in on this one for sure:yep:!

ayoung

I saw this post a few days ago but didn't want to join the challange b/c I felt like I couldn't do it--even though I really want to. ---But I am in! Time to do it and quit talking about it! (lol)

My routine:
-caloric intake 1500
-60 oz of water
-muscle toning exersises 2-3 times per week
-cardio 3 times per week
-protective hair styles

Goals for 2006
-10-15 lbs lost and maintained
-armpit natural hair

pyxis777

I'm definitely in! I started with a weight loss program in November, but I really need the support of you ladies. Especially with my hair!

Goals for December 2006:
Hair: 5" of Healthy relaxed hair growth.
Body: Under 125lbs; I'm starting at 138-139ish; My ideal is 123.
Skin: Reduction of blemishes on my cheeks; smooth healthy lips (I have a bad habit of picking at my always chapped lips :(, I know... gross... )

I'm getting a relaxer sometime in January. I just graduated from college, and transitioned (unintentionally) from relaxed to natural while I was in individual braids for most of the past 2 years. My hair is in ok shape now, but my braids took a toll on my front hairline and a patch in the very top of my head. Maybe MTG will help.

I will be getting myself a digital camera for christmas so I can document my progress!

We can do it in 2006, ladies! :D

KiSseS03

I'm in! Supposed to be studying at the moment, so I'll come back and post my regimen after my 2 finals!

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
I'm really likin this challenge b/c I have been neglecting myself since I was in summer school and through fall semester. I gained alittle weight and have been stressing alot and haven't really treated myself to anything new! ARGH! I want to go shopping but I'll wait. Its time for fine in 2006 ladies.

I vow to......

Hair: grow 7" of healthy relaxed hair
Body: Lose some weight...preferably 20lbs
Skin: Maintain clear complexion and work on getting rid of dark spots

I hope that I can accomplish these goals because they ar much needed. School is kicking my a$$.:eek:

beyondcute

Im in. I was just writing in my journal about this last night!

1. Bi-weekly manicures
2. 100 oz of water a day
3. Yoga once a week
4. Running 1-2 miles 4 times a week
5. Work on my skin *eczema, dry skin, breakouts :nono:*
6. 100% healthy natural hair!
7. STOP BITING MY LIPS!

Last edited:

tastesosweet

Hey Ladies-

I'm so glad so many of us are coming together for this. I'm ready to get started! How should we document our progress? I'm assuming we will do before/after photos? Should we track our progress with updated photos once a month? Every three months?

Also, it seems like a lot of us have other goals we are trying to reach in terms of health and beauty. Although I know there are several threads that already discuss this, perhaps we should put our hair and skin regimens on this thread as well. If you know you have a routine that is working for you, let us all know about it. Every piece of information helps!

In order to try to reach my hair goal for 2006, I am going to try to wear protective styles pretty much all year. I know my hair thrives when my hands aren't in it. I'll be oiling my scalp with this concoction I've made of shea butter, olive oil, and rosemary essential oil. I will probably use Wild Growth Oil and Doo Gro Oil as well. I will definitely be cleansing my scalp with Herbal Cleanse and using my MTG concoction (MTG, Surge 14, Avocado and Shea Oil Hair Neutralizer) to calm my itchies (I have bad dandruff). What I definitely need a recommendation on is a good hair and nail vitamin. I've heard of the costly one by Phyto and also Nioxin. Can anybody recommend a good one that has produced results?

As for my skin regimen, I've posted this info on another thread. Below, I just cut and paste what I said there:

I've always been told I have "good skin" which I've taken for granted because getting facials has been a part of my life since I was about 13. Both my mom and grandmother get them as well and we all receive compliments on our skin. I get an acne facial once a month and then follow the following regimen:

am
-wash with hydroquinone soap
-Skin Essence medicated cream and even tone moisturizer
-SPF 35

pm
-wash with hydroquinone soap
-Skin Essence Fountain of Youth moisturizer

Once a week routine:
-exfoliate with an acne pumice scrub
-wear an herbal enzyme mask

Skin Essence is a clinic that caters to people of color. Even if you don't live in close proximity to one, you can order their products online. Their products are really great.

If you go to my photo album, the first set of pics (the braided bun) is how my skin looks without make-up.

www.skinessence.net

Last edited:

atl_mulattamami

I'm DEFINATELY in!!!

Health:
1)Exercise for 30 mins 5 times a week
2)Drink lots and LOTS of water
3)Two cups of green tea daily
4)Take my vitamin
5)Cut out that junk food for good

Beauty/Hair:
1)Condition my hair LOTS (stay on the 2006 Moisture Challenge)
2)Protective styles
3)Keep a manicure and pedicure (I slack sometimes!! :look: )
4)I always try to look cute but sometimes (like when that time of the month comes around) i slack and use it as an excuse to be bummy when I'm going out...if Halle Berry can be cute all the time without trying SO CAN I!!!
5)Never skip putting on my lotion...I get lazy with that and now that it's winter I'm suffering for it!

Goals:
1)Lose 30-40 pounds before my next birthday (October 16, 2006 I'll be 18!!!)
2)Lose 40-50 pounds TOTAL throughout the year AND MAINTAIN!!!
3)Gain 7-8 inches of length by the end of 2006...should put me close to brastrap which is my 2006 goal

Vitality

Count me in. I will come back to post my plan and goals. I want to really think about setting and planning realistic goals.